Has being an EMT changed how you look at life?

jerellem

Forum Crew Member
Has being an EMT changed how you look at life? If so, how? I'm sure seeing death and saving lives HAS to have an effect on one mentally. How has it altered your look on life? I'm a recently certified EMT and can't wait to find a job and I was just curious.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It certainly has given me perspective in life, as have all of my life experiences. Death and loss has a huge impact, but I find the positive calls where I was able to provide compassionate care most memorable. Sometimes I amazed myself.

EMS has not drastically changed my life or who I am as a person, but has given me invaluable knowledge and experience. For many years I looked to my career to provide me direction and happiness, and while it has it many ways, I find that my career isn't who I am as a person, but instead what I do to make a living.

Good luck!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
That about sums it up for me too.

As with firefighting and law enforcement (and vacuum cleaner sales door to door) you are given the duty and privilige to see people at their best and worst, their moments of need and some moments of sheer horseapples. The public and your co workers will get the same opportunity regarding you.
Big thing is don't get all melodramatic about it, and remember no matter how much you see, someone else out there has seen more.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
seeing how Nursing Homes staff cares very little for the well-being of the people depending on their care... I have alot less faith in people. I've also noticed that when people do something, they feel like they deserve a reward for doing what any decent human would have done... yea...

on the other hand... I have a greater appreciation for the time I've got. seeing a 26 y/o, generally healthy girl drop dead on a bus got me thinking about that. "Enjoy every sandwich."

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
EMS reminds me that if I'm not freezing and in pain, soaked in bodily fluids, or dealing with something horribly tragic, it's still a pretty good day. It's made me more humble. There's a lot about medicine that I really don't know, and I'm nowhere near as quick as I am with other things. That's the good side.

It also makes me more impatient and cynical, and inclined to dismiss problems that don't involve serious illness, injury, or death, especially when they aren't my own. Getting tougher has its downfalls, and takes a toll on relationships. That's the bad side.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I will never allow myself or any family member to be left in the bottom 99% of nursing homes

One hand it can make you very cynical (low pay, interactions with crappy SNFs/patients, long hours) but if you are able to see past these things and appreciate the fact that as a low-paid, barely-trained EMT, you can still have a positive effect on peoples lives through your short interactions, then it can still be rewarding and enjoyable (run-on much?)

RULE NUMBER 32: Enjoy the small things.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I will never allow myself or any family member to be left in the bottom 99% of nursing homes

Amen to that. One thing EMS has certainly done for me is cement my desire to jump off a high building before I wind up in a "skilled" nursing facility.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Amen to that. One thing EMS has certainly done for me is cement my desire to jump off a high building before I wind up in a "skilled" nursing facility.

to be fair, there are some excellent facilities, though they are rare... and expensive....

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
to be fair, there are some excellent facilities, though they are rare... and expensive....

I'm sure there are, but the odds are against you. And I always worry about what's being done to grandma and grandpa when little Johnny isn't there visiting. It's probably unfair on my part, but I've seen and heard too many horror stories to avoid the leap to judgment.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it's made me more open-minded and tolerant. Through treating people of all different socioeconomic statuses, education levels, ethnic groups, subcultures, etc... I've seen a very human side of people I otherwise wouldn't.

WWII vets, Bhutanese refugees, a young single mom of 3 who's a truck driver and cowgirl, kids with autism, PhDs, a woman who had traveled the world as a famous, professional dancer for over 20 years... these are some of the people who stick out in my mind.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Let's talk about how this would change YOUR life to fulfill this promise since so many have this same opinion but probably are too young to even see the realty of such a life changing event.

For taking care of your family member, you need a house or apartment that is easily accessible. The hospital is not going to hold your family member while you get permits and build ramps or knock down a wall to expand a living area. If you choose to take your family member home anyway, you may need the services of an ambulance rather than a WC van for every appointment your family member has. Your family member may then become that dreaded BS call that requires carrying down stairs every week just to go to the doctor.

You may also have to give up your career or ask you spouse to quit their job just so there will be someone to provide 24/7 care to your family member...or to you if that is the situation. Some even have made their children quit college to care for their grandparent. Some may also spend their life's savings after quiting a job and then have little for their own future or that of their children's. Single people may even give up a chance for marriage and children to care for their family member for many years.

Some elderly people are very appreciative of the sacrifices but are also very sensitive to the changes and hardships they have caused. That is when they realize they are now a burden to their family. The family may start to show their own resentment, even if unintentionally, from the stresses of less earning power and giving up opportunities for their own lives.

Now for a short term situation such as hospice or comfort care where it is only a few weeks or just days, that is different as Family Medical Leave may apply.

Next time you do pick up a patient who is being cared for at home, look deeper into the changes within the living situation.

One hand it can make you very cynical (low pay, interactions with crappy SNFs/patients, long hours) but if you are able to see past these things and appreciate the fact that as a low-paid, barely-trained EMT, you can still have a positive effect on peoples lives through your short interactions, then it can still be rewarding and enjoyable (run-on much?)

There are still many good nurses and CNAs at the crappy SNFs with the crappy patients regardless of appearances. First, patients in SNFs are generally there because they need assistance and may not be able to help making a mess with their bowel movements. Second, these CNAs and nurses are going against the odds with maybe 4 health care providers for every 100 patients. Often one CNA will have over 20 patients to care for during 8 or 12 hours attempting to meet the many needs of a long term patient. Be very, very thankful you only have one patient at a time and for only a few minutes. Try to do the very best you can with that patient in such a short time. For some patients your own attitude may be no different than that of those you consider to be crappy in the nursing homes. You could also cut those in the nursing homes some slack because you don't know what type of shift they are having and how many difficult patients they are trying to manage. Some EMTs complain over and over for days about "one" bad patient and expect everyone to be sympathetic or cut them some slack. Nursing homes are now given an big task with little funding coming through. In some states, especially California, the staff at these facilities work without knowing where their next paycheck is coming from since that state is broke and not always paying for MediCal during budget disputes. If you are still getting a paycheck in California, consider yourself very lucky.

Look closer at the jobs of the many health care providers that make up a system or that of any other profession. You may find yourself very lucky to have the ability drive around to pick out a restaurant that gives large discounts to EMS. You may also be very lucky to have a job where the station has a computer, large screen TV, kitchen and a bed for you to earn money sleeping. Appreciate the fact you may only have to get out of bed once, while on the clock, to do a short crappy SNF transport that still gives you a paycheck. Yes, there are many positive things about working in EMS.

Also, when you think you have a BS patient from a nursing home, try to look at what their life had been before becoming old or disabled. We're going to see alot of disabled veterans from the wars this country is involved in. Unfortunately, some will become those BS homeless patients who get the ambulance called for them every time they fall down from losing their balance occasionally due to a head injury or substance abuse problems. Appreciate your own health as it may not take much more than a missed step at a curb or stairs to put your into that same situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
In some ways.
Live like your going to die today.
Hug your family often.
Tell your friends how much they mean to you.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Only in every way!

Has being an EMT changed how you look at life?

Everything I learned, I learned in the back of an ambulance. It propelled me into forty years of exploration of the healing arts. It was a foundational aspect of who I've become. And, in answer to your question, it didn't change how I looked at life, it just caused me to look deeper and further.

Buzz

Forum Captain
It's made my outlook on everyday life kind of... boring.

Little things that would have people talking for weeks now seem common for me.

On the other hand, retelling a story about some of the more crazy stuff I've responded to or witnessed can just blow someone's mind.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It certainly has given me perspective in life, as have all of my life experiences. Death and loss has a huge impact, but I find the positive calls where I was able to provide compassionate care most memorable. Sometimes I amazed myself.

EMS has not drastically changed my life or who I am as a person, but has given me invaluable knowledge and experience. For many years I looked to my career to provide me direction and happiness, and while it has it many ways, I find that my career isn't who I am as a person, but instead what I do to make a living.

Good luck!

Amen. I used to hate seeing other peoples blood, body fluids and puke. Now it doesn't bug me in the least. (OK, the puke still gets me a little......:p)

Also, just seeing how some people live has made me very greatful for what I have and how I live.

When you have seen people torn apart by a tractor PTO or had their pelvis crushed by a tree, suddenly it doesn't seem so bad when I can't go skiing 'cause I have a test, or I can't have what I wanted for lunch.

It has made me more safety aware. I could never drive anywhere without a seatbelt since I have seen some persons head destroyed by a windshield. It taught me to keep my head on a swivel and always be aware of what is going on around you.

And it taught me that even if you have limited training (like me being just an Intermediate) you can still have plenty of compassion, which while not as effective at killing pain as a narcotic, it can make someone's life seem a little less terrible and a little more bearable. There is a fine line between being professional and being jaded, between being compassionate and caring and actually getting drawn into their problems. It takes a while to learn these lines and I have definatly not mastered where they are yet.

But anyhow, good luck!

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah....I now walk down the isles at Wal-Mart and pass a person and sometimes think "hmmm...nice pipes...."

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
One reason I am going into EMS after high school is to gain some perspective on life a bit more. There is always somebody out there who has it a lot worse then you and like some posts here has said, though you might be underpaid, your still doing something for the greater good. I think that me experiencing certain things that people go through, big or small, and most importantly, making a difference, will make me look at life a little more clearer and that maybe life isnt so bad and it isnt but for me, i think it will take an experience to get that across. I just hope to make a difference most importantly.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Makes me appreciate that (from a perspective on the shady side of 50):

1. I don't have to wear a diaper
2. I can walk (and run!) unassisted
3. I can eat pretty much whatever I want
4. I can remember my grandchildren's names
5. My grandchildren don't think I'm "yucky"
6. My wife and I don't need to call 911 because one of us has fallen from the bed
7. No matter what kind of a crappy day I've had, my lot in life is infinitely better than some people who are younger than me
8. There are 50,000 additional variations on numbers 1-6 above.
9. I am blessed beyond words...

emt_irl

Forum Captain
its made me more mature and look differently on things.. like one example i wont speed as much in the car as i used to.... i think of the bigger picture

piranah

Forum Captain
its made me more mature and look differently on things.. like one example i wont speed as much in the car as i used to.... i think of the bigger picture

I agree with the above....I find myself not taking chances I used to take without a second thought...I now find myself saying "can I afford something happening?"...and I look at life with a little more light even on the dark days.