Has being an EMT changed how you look at life?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Let's talk about how this would change YOUR life to fulfill this promise since so many have this same opinion but probably are too young to even see the realty of such a life changing event.

Next time you do pick up a patient who is being cared for at home, look deeper into the changes within the living situation.

There are still many good nurses and CNAs at the crappy SNFs with the crappy patients regardless of appearances.

VentMedic,

I appreciate the insight. I was only using the 99% hyperbole to get the point across, I understand that there are many situations where a SNF is the only option. I know that there are decent SNFs but they are few and far between (in my experience). I do understand the workers position, it wasn't fair for me to only say "crappy SNF workers" and I didn't mean to say that there are only crappy workers, just that there are some crappy workers, just as there are some crappy EMTS, nurses, doctors, or any profession. There are also good workers in all of the above. Since I have been an EMT I have been in many of the situations you have described above. I've been with so many people who have been told they are now going to live in a SNF "until recovery" (read: rest of your days). I've been with the family that was optimistically pursuing therapy and watched them get convinced to put the patient on hospice --this was probably one of the worst calls I have ran, hands down. I've ran those "BS house calls" with patients at all levels of health. So I do see the other side, and I did not mean to dismiss it, just that I would do everything in my power to not put a family member in a SNF, unless the SNF was not plagued by some of the problems you have noted that cause poor care.

Don't let any of my posts deceive you. I am VERY greatful for the job I have. Hundreds of EMTs apply every month for the job I have. It is also one of the easiest jobs I have ever had. The pay isn't great, but heck, all we do is drive around and sleep, even when we run calls it isn't as bad as a lot of EMTs make it out to be. I will not be staying here long, but I have greatly appreciated my time as an EMT and the insight into many different parts of health care.

Thanks you for the insightful topics though. I try to always remain the most caring provider that I can be, but its easy to forget that when working with a lot of jaded and cynical EMTs. I appreciate your refreshing post!

Sasha

Forum Chief
There are still many good nurses and CNAs at the crappy SNFs with the crappy patients regardless of appearances. First, patients in SNFs are generally there because they need assistance and may not be able to help making a mess with their bowel movements. Second, these CNAs and nurses are going against the odds with maybe 4 health care providers for every 100 patients. Often one CNA will have over 20 patients to care for during 8 or 12 hours attempting to meet the many needs of a long term patient. Be very, very thankful you only have one patient at a time and for only a few minutes.

It is interesting you say that. At least 80% of the time I step foot in a nursing home, the patient is never ready. And where are the CNAs and LPNs? Sitting on their butts at the nurses station, working hard at ignoring the call bells going off.

viccitylifeguard

Forum Probie
It is interesting you say that. At least 80% of the time I step foot in a nursing home, the patient is never ready. And where are the CNAs and LPNs? Sitting on their butts at the nurses station, working hard at ignoring the call bells going off.

i completly agree with your comment i had an ex that prided herself on how much of a quilt she could finish in a shift (day or night) that being said i know that there are some extremly hard working cna's and lpn working their asses off to cover for the lazy *** ones

Sasha

Forum Chief
i completly agree with your comment i had an ex that prided herself on how much of a quilt she could finish in a shift (day or night) that being said i know that there are some extremly hard working cna's and lpn working their asses off to cover for the lazy *** ones

I am not saying there are not good CNAs or LPNs, but I hate how someone mentions a bad nursing home, and some treat it as CNAs and LPNs can't be bad... I have run into some fantastic nursing homes with a hard working staff that really care for their patients, and their patients are in good condition.

However, they're the minority. The majority of them have staff that leave patients sitting in diapers full of feces for hours, who take 30 minutes to get off their butts at the nurses station and go get a concentrator for your patient on continuous O2, that is in the closet right across from the nursing station.

That is one thing I don't miss from working IFT, getting screamed at about never being on time when you get there ten minutes late, yet the paperwork and patient isn't ready, and wont be ready for another 20, and they wonder why you run behind?

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Did you see them for the other 11 hours and 45 minutes of their shift?

Do you know if there are others answering the bells?

Do you know what each of their jobs are such as charting, telephones and meds? Ever call a nursing station and get pissed because no one was there to answer the phone? Can't always have it both ways. It is hard to please everyone and heaven forbid if they are with a patient and can't let you into the door immediately. You would have a real problem with that.

I am not saying there are not good CNAs or LPNs, but I hate how someone mentions a bad nursing home, and some treat it as CNAs and LPNs can't be bad... I have run into some fantastic nursing homes with a hard working staff that really care for their patients, and their patients are in good condition.

However, they're the minority. The majority of them have staff that leave patients sitting in diapers full of feces for hours, who take 30 minutes to get off their butts at the nurses station and go get a concentrator for your patient on continuous O2, that is in the closet right across from the nursing station.

That is one thing I don't miss from working IFT, getting screamed at about never being on time when you get there ten minutes late, yet the paperwork and patient isn't ready, and wont be ready for another 20, and they wonder why you run behind?

If you had actually read my post you would have seen it wasn't about good or bad nurses but rather the situation itself and the placement of a family member.

How do you know how long that patient has sat in feces? I've changed diapers before only to have the patient have another bowel movement before I moved from the bedside.

When was the last time you tried to change diapers on 20 patients 3 - 4 times each for 12 hours? And feed the patients. And bathe them.

VentMedic,

I appreciate the insight. I was only using the 99% hyperbole to get the point across, I understand that there are many situations where a SNF is the only option. I know that there are decent SNFs but they are few and far between (in my experience).

Don't make it sound like there are no good nursing homes. As well, there are differences between SNFs, nursing homes and convalescent centers. Not every nursing home is a SNF.

Both of you, Sasha and SanDiegoEMT7, get your CNA and work in a nursing home. Then come back and tell us how easy life in a nursing home is.

The rest is not necessarily directed at both of you.

No matter how rough you think your life is having to wait a few minutes for paperwork, the nurse that got distracted because of getting the transfer set up or answering a call light don't deserve crap from you each time. Nor do the patients. Have you ever seen all the paperwork that must be arranged and copied along with a report called to the other facility or doctor as well as the family? Do you actually know all the responsibilities of the nurse for that one patient transfer? Do you also know he/she puts themselves up for scrutiny with each transfer with risk of penalties on their license?

As I have stated many times before, if you think there is blatant abuse or violations of code, document it and take it to the proper authorities. Don't rely on passing the responsibility on to the nurse at the ED. Assume that responsibility yourself and take all documentation to the state of Florida or California or whatever state you are from.

Everybody in healthcare has a rough job to do. If you go into a SNF or nursing home with a crap attitude, don't expect to be greeted well. You also don't know what type of crap the staff had to put up with from the previous IFT or EMS crews. We have actually had security and LEOs called to our SNF because of EMTs who started screaming at the staff and tossing paperwork around because they had to wait what they thought was an unreasonable amount of time. The security camera only showed their wait time to be 3 minutes before they lost it.

Also, remember these nursing homes may be home for the patient for now and they are making the best of it. Some know it is all they may have left and if they are left in the hospital for more than 7 days, they lose their "home" and must be placed in another facility. Did either of you know that? Do you know how patients are placed? It may not be up to the family at all. These patients may not appreciate you bad mouthing their facility or caregivers in front or over them. Too often some EMTs get caught up with their own agendas and forget the patient. Their diarrhea of the mouth does no one any good.

And SanDiegoEMT7, many of my above statements are general and not necessarily directed at you. If you truly do care, try to make someone's shift with a smile and some understanding. It might even get passed on to the rest of the staff and the other patients. Maybe the next time the staff will recognize you and smile as well and do try to get stuff moving along quicker. Burn out is in every profession and nursing homes have a tough job finding people to accept that responsibility. I can't imagine passing out over 300 medications in a shift and charting on 20 - 30 patients. That doesn't include the admissions, discharges and transfers which could be up to 50 a day even in the smaller facilities. Ambulances don't always provide the only means of transport luckily.

Last edited by a moderator:

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant

Do you know if there are others answering the bells?

Do you know what each of their jobs are such as charting, telephones and meds? Ever call a nursing station and get pissed because no one was there to answer the phone? Can't always have it both ways. It is hard to please everyone and heaven forbid if they are with a patient and can't let you into the door immediately. You would have a real problem with that.

If you had actually read my post you would have seen it wasn't about good or bad nurses but rather the situation itself and the placement of a family member.

How do you know how long that patient has sat in feces? I've changed diapers before only to have the patient have another bowel movement before I moved from the bedside.

When was the last time you tried to change diapers on 20 patients 3 - 4 times each for 12 hours? And feed the patients. And bathe them.

Don't make it sound like there are no good nursing homes. As well, there are differences between SNFs, nursing homes and convalescent centers. Not every nursing home is a SNF.

Both of you, Sasha and SanDiegoEMT7, get your CNA and work in a nursing home. Then come back and tell us how easy life in a nursing home is.

The rest is not necessarily directed at both of you.

No matter how rough you think your life is having to wait a few minutes for paperwork, the nurse that got distracted because of getting the transfer set up or answering a call light don't deserve crap from you each time. Nor do the patients. Have you ever seen all the paperwork that must be arranged and copied along with a report called to the other facility or doctor as well as the family? Do you actually know all the responsibilities of the nurse for that one patient transfer? Do you also know he/she puts themselves up for scrutiny with each transfer with risk of penalties on their license?

As I have stated many times before, if you think there is blatant abuse or violations of code, document it and take it to the proper authorities. Don't rely on passing the responsibility on to the nurse at the ED. Assume that responsibility yourself and take all documentation to the state of Florida or California or whatever state you are from.

Everybody in healthcare has a rough job to do. If you go into a SNF or nursing home with a crap attitude, don't expect to be greeted well. You also don't know what type of crap the staff had to put up with from the previous IFT or EMS crews. We have actually had security and LEOs called to our SNF because of EMTs who started screaming at the staff and tossing paperwork around because they had to wait what they thought was an unreasonable amount of time. The security camera only showed their wait time to be 3 minutes before they lost it.

Also, remember these nursing homes may be home for the patient for now and they are making the best of it. Some know it is all they may have left and if they are left in the hospital for more than 7 days, they lose their "home" and must be placed in another facility. Did either of you know that? Do you know how patients are placed? It may not be up to the family at all. These patients may not appreciate you bad mouthing their facility or caregivers in front or over them. Too often some EMTs get caught up with their own agendas and forget the patient. Their diarrhea of the mouth does no one any good.

And SanDiegoEMT7, many of my above statements are general and not necessarily directed at you. If you truly do care, try to make someone's shift with a smile and some understanding. It might even get passed on to the rest of the staff and the other patients. Maybe the next time the staff will recognize you and smile as well and do try to get stuff moving along quicker. Burn out is in every profession and nursing homes have a tough job finding people to accept that responsibility. I can't imagine passing out over 300 medications in a shift and charting on 20 - 30 patients. That doesn't include the admissions, discharges and transfers which could be up to 50 a day even in the smaller facilities. Ambulances don't always provide the only means of transport luckily.
I agree with the content of the post, if not perhaps the argument.

I always try to be polite and professional around nursing home staff.

With that being said, there is no excuse for the condition of some patients ive picked up at various homes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you're running IFT, who cares if the transfer paperwork isn't ready yet? Sit down, take a break. Ask if you can borrow the patient's chart at the nursing station so you can start getting your demographics done even if they don't have a copy of the face sheet yet. If you can, package the patient and get all of the patient's belongings that are coming along together. Just because you don't have to do something to help out with your immediate patient doesn't mean you can't nor that you shouldn't. After all, if you're 6 hours into a 12 hour shift, it's not like you're going home after that call.

I don't know, maybe I'm just the master of workplace zen, but a lot of the common complaints in EMS really seem to be something that should be water off a ducks back. This isn't to say that I haven't seen some nasty things in SNFs and hospitals (and, for the record, there's nothing unnasty about things like stage 4 decubs), or that I haven't seen things that shouldn't happen, but a lot of the common complaints I've seen on boards and heard from partners really should only get the reply of "chillax."

Sasha

Forum Chief
. If you go into a SNF or nursing home with a crap attitude, don't expect to be greeted well.

I never go into any call with a crappy attitude. I am chipper, cheerful, and pleasent until someone gives me a reason not to be. I don't care what the past IFT or 911 crew has done to that nurse or cna. I do not let the last patient or staff I had dealt with affect the next, and neither should they. I do not mind going to nursing homes for any problems at any time of the night. I do understand what may not be a "cool emergency" may be a problem requiring immediate attention.

Also, remember these nursing homes may be home for the patient for now and they are making the best of it. Some know it is all they may have left and if they are left in the hospital for more than 7 days, they lose their "home" and must be placed in another facility.

Seven days is lucky, some of the facilities here have a 24 hour bed hold policy, after 24 hours, the family or patient must pay a fee per day to hold their room or it may be given away. I don't see what that has to do with the staff? I am well aware of how patients are placed in nursing homes. I have had family placed in nursing homes.

Some could have been less, but when you have a family member tell you that you can't take a patient because they've been trying to get the CNA to change their diaper for the past hour and a half, you get a pretty good idea of how the care is for that day. When it happens more than once, you get a good idea for the care of that facility.

There have been certain facilities we visit multiple times a day to find them, each time, all sitting at the nurses station, neglecting patients and chatting it up about anything and everything not patient care or facility related.

These patients may not appreciate you bad mouthing their facility or caregivers in front or over them.

I have never bad mouthed a facility to or in front of a patient, with one exception. The nurse had screamed at our patient and literally told him to sit his @ss in bed and to shut up, because he asked about a wheelchair. I told our patient that I was sorry his nurse was such a (witch with a B) and that I hoped he could get out of there soon. When asked about a facility, if there is nothing good about the facility that I can think of, I tell them that I am not very familiar with it, and really couldn't comment.

There ARE bad nursing homes, there are bad CNAs, there are bad LPNs just like there are bad EMTs and bad paramedics.

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you're running IFT, who cares if the transfer paperwork isn't ready yet? Sit down, take a break. Ask if you can borrow the patient's chart at the nursing station so you can start getting your demographics done even if they don't have a copy of the face sheet yet. If you can, package the patient and get all of the patient's belongings that are coming along together. Just because you don't have to do something to help out with your immediate patient doesn't mean you can't nor that you shouldn't. After all, if you're 6 hours into a 12 hour shift, it's not like you're going home after that call.

You know you are not going home, but it does start making you late for your next calls if you are getting delayed on scene for one call by 20-30 minutes because paperwork is not ready. Being late can jeapordize contracts, it can also mean that for those next six hours you don't get any kind of break. No where did I say anything about not helping out. However, you can't help out by doing the paperwork for them, and that is often times what is needed. I have no problem gathering belongings, changing, dressing, pulling IVs or feeding a patient if that will help keep on schedule, but many times it was paperwork.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I definitely didn't mean to direct that at you Sash.

Contracts? Meh, I can do my best to dazzle the facilities, but I can't make someone do something that isn't done. Nor can I handle more than one call at a time. Yea, it sucks to be running 6 hours straight, but there are ways to take a quick legitimate breather (e.g. when you have to eat, you have to eat), but if this is the normal situation then the company should be compensating by having more units on.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Back to the Original Question...

...and relating to this most recent direction of the thread.

As a medic, I made the decision that were I to notice I was sliding downhill irreversibly, I'd make sure I had a gun. Then, if it looked like I'd end up in a Nursing Home like SO MANY of the Nursing Homes I brought patients in to -- or, for four years worked in myself! -- I'd use that gun on myself.

This whole Nursing Home thing is one of the biggest horrors in the profession. You can see in this Forum, there are threads about this with contributors from every state. Most of us would be okay with gory deaths, as long as they're relatively short, but who amongst us wants to imagine living (?) YEARS in one such hellhole?

To say sub-standard to sub-human care is not highly present in Nursing Homes (without going through the various initials, etc and classifications*) is living in denial. They are a reflection of a culture who has dismantled both the extended AND nuclear family and institutionalized (packaged and castrated and confined) its Elders along the way.

You just watch the next fifteen years or so as my generation, the Baby Boomers, make Nursing Homes the boom industry of the first half of the 21st Century.

How did the profession change me? It made me not want to live the way I saw so many people die.

* This is really loaded, but having been there myself I'll say that because as a whole Nursing Homes are chronically understaffed, compassion often takes a back seat to expediency. Yes, it easily becomes a job, and not a pleasant one at that. It is all about moving around flesh and its excrements. Bottom line, however, it easily becomes painful because (and here's where EMS gets involved) repeated exposure to such institutions makes it easy to believe there's a Hospital bed just waiting for YOU as well in one of these things. "There but for fortune." can be used as a way toward compassion or an excuse to don a very thick, hard and impenetrable shell.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Key word= should

Haha... I know. There are so many companies in the OC-San Diego area most companies will do anything to maximize profits. Makes for busy EMT workdays/nights. But all is well, personally I'd rather run the calls then sit there in an idling rig.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Hasn't really, to be honest always knew there were strange people out there.

Just got the chance to meet a few more of 'em.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Seven days is lucky, some of the facilities here have a 24 hour bed hold policy, after 24 hours, the family or patient must pay a fee per day to hold their room or it may be given away. I don't see what that has to do with the staff? I am well aware of how patients are placed in nursing homes. I have had family placed in nursing homes.

Do you really think RNs, LVNs and CNAs are that uncaring? Get your CNA and work in one of these facilities to see patients transferred throughtout a system for insurance and space reasons. It takes a toll on the staff to see this happen everyday when they see a patient's security totally torn apart and they have no control over it.

As far as nurses sitting down, don't you generally sit when you chart? Do you realize how much documentation is required for each patient? Now multiply that by 20 - 30. It is no secret that RNs spend more time charting then doing bedside care. This is why some hospitals now have computerized bedside charting stations.

As far as someone's comment about Stage IV decubs, it is very difficult to maintain any bedridden patient. The patient might come in as a Stage 1 just from the ambulance cot ride and develop overnight to a Stage 2. It then doesn't take much to progress to a Stage 4. If the RN tries to get the patient transferred to initiate wound care, that routine transfer might take awhile. If they call EMS or for an emergent transfer when the patient finally spikes a temp which can be a delayed response, they may be ridiculed by EMTs for "a temp and a bedsore" and will also have to respond to their employer why they waited or why they sent the patient. Either way, it is a no win situation for them or the patient. Too early and they face scrutiny and too late they jeopardize the patient and more scrutiny. It is a no win situation for staff. We even get patients with bad decubs start in the ICUs even with the beds that cost around $80k and low RN:patient ratios. Long term patients break easily and we try everything we can to get the patients moving off the technology, out of the ICUs and throughout the system to hopefully a decent facility and much stronger. Unfortunately patients are being moved very rapidly and sometimes to rapidly out of the acute care facilities to make space. That puts an additional burden on SNF staff as they are now asked to do more with less.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
This argument could go on forever, because both sides hold weight.

I have seen good nurses that were unfazed by problems of the SNF/con-home/home-care situation. I have seen good nurses that were fazed by it, little cynical but still provided good care. I have seen good nurses that had totally given up on their situation and were not caring for the patient. I have also seen downright negligent care by under trained staff on multiple occasions.

The SNF/con-home/home care situation depends on so many factors (number of patients, needs/type of patient, resources of the facility/home, training, general outlook, earnings, yadda yadda) that the spectrum of care available is wide and has many points on it.

I think that part of the negative attitude EMTs have towards SNFs/con homes is due to the fact that these are DEPRESSING PLACES. These patients with mostly depressing stories of declining health have an effect on the EMTs (qualifier: hopefully) and so they expect a nurse/cna/ma that can go above and beyond to somehow counter act the sadness. Instead they find a nurse that is many times over worked, sometimes under trained and most definitely more concerned with the massive workload ahead of them than pleasantries. This divide will always exist as the current system is set up.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The SNF/con-home/home care situation depends on so many factors (number of patients, needs/type of patient, resources of the facility/home, training, general outlook, earnings, yadda yadda) that the spectrum of care available is wide and has many points on it.

I don't really consider it an argument. However, it is especially sad with the US against THEM mentality that exists. Rather, I am trying to get some to see the many different aspects that exist in a LTC health system. Just *****ing without understanding all the factors or issues directly related to the health issues of LTC patient.

Even if the resources are there, long term patients are still very difficult to manage and it is a specialty. Some look down on the nursing home RN but essentially they should have the skills and knowledge of a med-surg RN, a little ED RN knowledge, Rehab knowledge, geriatric specialist and the management of LTC patients. You won't find that many RNs and definitely not LVNs with all of that education and training especially at the wages a nursing home pays.

Christopher Reeve (Superman) died of sepsis from a decubitus ulcer. He had resources, including access to the best medical centers, and it still happened. However, for a high level quad that is vent dependent, 8 years is a good run but one would have thought a younger man of reasonable health could have lived longer.

I recommend anyone to take a couple of CEs in geriatrics or any long term care areas. Granted it may seem boring and not like "emergency" stuff but since many of your IFTs are LTC patients it would be useful information to have. We have offered the classes even to individual ambulance services and unfortunately the attendance has been very little. As well, one should read some of the CMS/Mediare regulations to see how it pertains to IFTs and transfers. Understanding the different situations that health care providers work in and the responsibility of the facility as well as the government agencies will give you a better insight to the system rather than just nickpicking at the staff.

I also recommend future EMTs and Paramedics to take their education at a college that also offers a wide variety of other health care specialties. EMS providers have remained isolated too long with the trade school and should get to meet other professionals during their education process. That might change how you look at your own profession and life.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do you really think RNs, LVNs and CNAs are that uncaring? Get your CNA and work in one of these facilities to see patients transferred throughtout a system for insurance and space reasons. It takes a toll on the staff to see this happen everyday when they see a patient's security totally torn apart and they have no control over it.

But what does this have to do with nurses and CNAs not doing their jobs? It must be very nice where you are, and all the staff care about their patients. There were times where staff were happy to see a patient return, but there was also the eye roll, huff, and "they're back...". I have seen outright cold hearted nurses and CNAs who have walked out on a patient asking to be turned so they could take pressure off a sore. Am I saying all are cold hearted? No. Am I saying that cold heartedness is limited to nursing homes? No. Am I saying it is impossible for EMTs and Paramedics to be cold hearted? No. There are good and bad in every profession, which is the concept you don't seem to be grasping. You seem to want to put all nursing home staff on a pedestal, and all problems that EMTs or Paramedics have with them are caused by the EMTs or Paramedics. If they get nasty attitude from the nursing home staff it's because of previously rude EMTs or Paramedic. Did you ever stop to think perhaps the EMTs and Paramedics are rude because of the previous nursing home staff they dealt with? Of course not. In your mind we all suck.

There are BAD nursing homes. There are GOOD nursing homes. Patients get sick. I understand that, and I understand there is nothing that they can do sometimes. But then there are some injuries and illnesses that are preventable.

If I wanted to be a CNA, I would have done so. I don't have a desire to be a CNA. I understand it's a difficult job, however I have no sympathy for them when a patient is being neglected and they are sitting doing absolutely nothing or standing around doing absolutely nothing but talking or whining. And yes, I have placed calls on several local nursing homes to the abuse hotline.

[/Quote]As far as nurses sitting down, don't you generally sit when you chart? Do you realize how much documentation is required for each patient? Now multiply that by 20 - 30. It is no secret that RNs spend more time charting then doing bedside care. This is why some hospitals now have computerized bedside charting stations. [/QUOTE]

What does a CNA have to chart aside from writing down vitals? And no, when I did IFT, most of my reports were started, and finished, standing at the nurses station, or at the stretcher while going through the chart, or at the triage desk. What was done sitting was done in the ambulance at patient bedside.

There is no excuse for when asking for help moving a patient over, the nurse or CNA you ask spends more time an energy finding that exact patient's CNA or telling you how to find that CNA then it would for them to just guide the darn feet over, except pure lazyness.

I have all the respect for a nursing home nurse or CNA that does their job, and does it well, however bad experiences far outweight the good.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What does a CNA have to chart aside from writing down vitals? And no, when I did IFT, most of my reports were started, and finished, standing at the nurses station, or at the stretcher while going through the chart, or at the triage desk. What was done sitting was done in the ambulance at patient bedside.

The patient's main chart is not carried into each room. The CNA will generally record the vitals and then sit down at the station to record them in the charts which may be up to 30. You have ONE patient. You have also been sitting in your truck or sleeping at the station. That CNA may have changed 30 diapers and been on his/her feet for 8 hours straight before you got there.

How many people do you think one nurse at these nursing homes have to deal with in just one shift? Maybe 1 - 10 doctors? 30 family members? Delivery people? Administrators? Telephone calls that don't stop? Pharmacies? Arranging labs? Transfers? Admissions? Oh, and what about trying to see the patients to give them their medications? That can be 300+ meds per shift easily in some places.

It seems there is nothing anyone can say to get you to explore some of the many factors for why people react as they do. It is attitudes like yours which don't consider any other possibilities for the way things are the way they are that keep this US against THEM crap alive. Thus, with this attitude, why would you expect the staff to jump real high when called by you each time? Your attitude probably projects loud and clear.