All the bells and whistles...REALLY?

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
I know of ONE EMT at my job who has an EMT badge and wears it on his belt. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but what are there SOPs in TX regarding wearing a badge like that? Of course, if you're an EMT, but all means you should be able to wear the badge to identify yourself but is all the extra stuff really necessary?

By all the extra stuff, I mean the several patches on the uniforms, the badge being worn around the neck on a chain, the gold-plated nametag, the silver lapen pins that say 'EMT' or 'MEDIC', a belt holster for a radio, the stethescope around the neck, I mean when did EMS become a fashion statement? IMO all that's really needed is a photo ID worn on your shirt that identifies you as EMS personnel (a job ID, even your National or state certification), and MAYBE a badge if everyone has it and is issued it. All the other stuff is just for looks and 'looks' ridiculous if you pile it all on like that. If you don't NEED it to do your job don't wear it/buy it.

Ok that's all for the rant. But am I the only one who sees other EMT prancing around like robocop gone EMS?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why do I get the image of

dogbounty_l.jpg

Dog the Bounty Medic!

Anjel

Forum Angel
I have a badge. Dont wear.it though. Lol I just thought it looked cool.

My company requires you to wear.the emt and medic pins on the collar of your shirt. And the caddeuses(sp?) On the other side.

more than that and you start to look silly

OP
OP
LoneStarSoldier

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member
If it's part of your uniform that's one thing, but when someone uses some of their money to go out and buy all this stuff it's pretty obvious.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We wear black pants and a white shirt that has our Practice Level (EMT, Paramedic or Intensive Care Paramedic) and green epaulettes with "Ambulance" on them attached

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I hope someone really doesn't run around dressed like this....

If its department issued then ok, if its not, downright absurd.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Get one of these to wave around.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know of ONE EMT at my job who has an EMT badge and wears it on his belt. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but what are there SOPs in TX regarding wearing a badge like that? Of course, if you're an EMT, but all means you should be able to wear the badge to identify yourself but is all the extra stuff really necessary?

By all the extra stuff, I mean the several patches on the uniforms, the badge being worn around the neck on a chain, the gold-plated nametag, the silver lapen pins that say 'EMT' or 'MEDIC', a belt holster for a radio, the stethescope around the neck, I mean when did EMS become a fashion statement? IMO all that's really needed is a photo ID worn on your shirt that identifies you as EMS personnel (a job ID, even your National or state certification), and MAYBE a badge if everyone has it and is issued it. All the other stuff is just for looks and 'looks' ridiculous if you pile it all on like that. If you don't NEED it to do your job don't wear it/buy it.

Ok that's all for the rant. But am I the only one who sees other EMT prancing around like robocop gone EMS?
Yeah, that's absolute whackerdom. Takes one to know one (jk). If your buddy is acting as an EMT in an official capacity (for an ambulance service, municipal provider, etc), then it's up to the service to manage their provider's uniform and appearance. If he's wearing this stuff when not working, then it could be read as impersonation... or false advertising, if at the time he isn't indirectly supervised by a medical director.
Hopefully, he'll grow out of this immaturity.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
cops wear badges, firefighter wear badges, heck, even security guards wear badges. ever think about why they do that?
ehhh, what make them wrong and you right? I have EMT lapel pins, a belt holster for a radio, a scope that stays around my neck when i'm on a job, and my uniform shirt has a cloth badge. I keep my metal badge in my pocket, and don't wear it nor my EMT pins because I don't want an EDP to grab it or to accidently get the lapel pin backs to dig into my neck by the seatbelt. and I absolutely LOVE my swivel belt holster, it allows me to also keep my radio with me, keeps it out of my pocket, and holds it more securely than a beltclip would. and my shirt has agency patch on one side, and training level on the other.

my photo ID, my certification and DL stay in my pocket. otherwise they would be clipped to my shirt, with a pretty crappy clip that can fall off or get pulled off way too easily.
does it really matter? are they a poorly performing EMT? If someone wants to wear extra gear, because it helps them do their job, or it makes them look like robocop, who really cares?

As long as they do the job, doesn't EMS have bigger things to worry about than what extra gear an individual provider wants to wear? and in the grand scheme of things, why should you really care?

samiam

Amazing Member
As long as they do the job, doesn't EMS have bigger things to worry about than what extra gear an individual provider wants to wear? and in the grand scheme of things, why should you really care?

Haven't you realized that at least 35% of this site is people *****ing about other people and/or criticizing others. People like to get into other peoples business as well as start fights about things THEY think are important.. it makes them feel better about themselves and some would argue that it is human nature..... cue the MJ.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are required to wear class A uniforms and badges are issued to us. Silver name tags with your name and either Medic, EMT-1, EMT. The supervisors have gold plated name tags. At certain times during employment we will receive pins to place on our collar. Each uniform only has 2 patches. Supervisors and FTOs will have 4 patches. And we have to wear a PPE pouch on our belts.

We all have to have the same cloths. We can not go out and buy fancy stuff.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My understanding is the original purpose for a metal badge (clipped over the left chest) was to protect the heart (from bullets)... a rudimentary vest. They became a form of identification or validation of authority. Now that every rent-a-cop (sorry Jon) has one, and they can be bought on the internet (even legitimately from Galls) or made inexpensively, they have lost their value.

Sure, police departments still issue them, and they have become a required uniform element, but they are purely ceremonial as I see them.

I have absolutely no problem with people carrying or displaying them, but worry that it's being done at the expense of clinical competency or they are spending more time on galls' website than in their textbook.

What I wear at work is the minimum required, and as others have described, I have lost "accessories" as I gain experience. My employer requires me to wear collar pins, a white uniform shirt (with my level of certification on one side, company patch on the other), black pants, and have a company and hospital ID on my person (or displayed, I can't remember). I don't generally carry or wear anything else. When I feel like it, I wear a stork or flag pin. Everything else is in the truck or in a pocket

I dont feel the need to display anything further than I do already. I make clear my level of training (certification) on my collar and right shoulder, and company affiliation.

Why do others feel the need to display their affiliations with neon or flashies. I read that as immaturity and inexperience, not a provider I trust as a colleague or patient care provider.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
at least 35% of this site is people *****ing about other people and/or criticizing others.

That ain't bad, really, considering about 35% of that 35% is accurate. If not, it's still often very high in entertainment value.

Thanks for the complement to EMSLife.com!

(Non-Official, of course!)

samiam

Amazing Member
That ain't bad, really, considering about 35% of that 35% is accurate. If not, it's still often very high in entertainment value.

Thanks for the complement to EMSLife.com!

(Non-Official, of course!)

There is no doubt that it IS indeed entertaining, personally though I think that some people take things as personal attacks when the writer did not intend for it to be. Also I never said that it was a bad thing that people did that, I was just giving an answer to the question. Even better some of the tangents that I am referring too really lead into good quality discussion of a topic that might not otherwise have been brought up. My ultimate goal was to recognize the difference between personal opinions about the actions of others vs how those actions negatively or positively affect EMS. It was brought up that if those items help him/her do his job even if some people think it is in an insignificant or illegitimate way, then what harm is done besides that some people here disprove/think he is a "whacker".... as to the percentages... I re-considered and agree with your 12.25% evaluation.

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
And the point being....?

I don't know what kind of answer we're looking for....? We all know that guy who's entire closet it somethingsomething Fire dpet. or the Doctor that insists on wearing his white coat everywhere, hell even the guy who doesn't live anywhere near a farm but sports his sh*t kickers everywhere and his John Deere belt buckle. Your medic just sounds like another emotionally needy tool in a big narcissistic shed... What you need to do is have a friend who he doesn't know approach him and with a completely serious face say, "So what do you do for a living, are you a security guard?" So what can you do about this, not a damn thing but get over it and be content with the fact that you aren't a tool like this gentleman.:rofl:

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
No badges or patches here.. but I do keep my steth in the truck (who knows where the issued ones have been) and where a radio holster. When I clipped it to my belt, it would rub against my natural body armor (fat). Much comfier and less wacker looking than a strap o:

OP
OP
LoneStarSoldier

LoneStarSoldier

Forum Crew Member

I care because, no matter what we do while in uniform and operating in an EMS capacity, we still represent each other in the EMS system. If someone is wearing all of the ornamental asthetic things on their uniform (when it is not required of them of course) it may reflect unfavorably upon all of us. Yes, I understand that they're just extra things to wear, but in excess it can be construed as unprofessional. Patient care SHOULD be the sole determining factor in what provides for the image the public has of us. But what SHOULD be is not always what IS. The average joe will not distinguish what was done right/wrong in regards to their care when most of the time they don't have an idea of what right/wrong is (other than whether they feel ok or not). SO they go on looks alone, and if an EMT can be interpreted as looking unprofessional the ignorance of the common person will dictate that they ARE unprofessional.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I care because, no matter what we do while in uniform and operating in an EMS capacity, we still represent each other in the EMS system. If someone is wearing all of the ornamental asthetic things on their uniform (when it is not required of them of course) it may reflect unfavorably upon all of us. Yes, I understand that they're just extra things to wear, but in excess it can be construed as unprofessional. Patient care SHOULD be the sole determining factor in what provides for the image the public has of us. But what SHOULD be is not always what IS. The average joe will not distinguish what was done right/wrong in regards to their care when most of the time they don't have an idea of what right/wrong is (other than whether they feel ok or not). SO they go on looks alone, and if an EMT can be interpreted as looking unprofessional the ignorance of the common person will dictate that they ARE unprofessional.

Quoted for truth