All the bells and whistles...REALLY?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I guess I do not understand what a whacker is. I was under the impression it was someone who while off duty, or worse... not even licensed, dressed and acted like a FF/EMT....

But, now a whacker is someone who wears service, license level patches and carries a radio while on duty? Really?

Do you think that maybe you all are taking this a little too far? Is showing up in an ambulance the next step?

"What a whacker... it was just a nothing call and the whacker showed up in uniform in an ambulance...."

Sasha

Forum Chief
I guess I do not understand what a whacker is. I was under the impression it was someone who while off duty, or worse... not even licensed, dressed and acted like a FF/EMT....

But, now a whacker is someone who wears service, license level patches and carries a radio while on duty? Really?

Do you think that maybe you all are taking this a little too far? Is showing up in an ambulance the next step?

"What a whacker... it was just a nothing call and the whacker showed up in uniform in an ambulance...."

Whackers are over the top ricky rescues who are so annoying you wanna whack em.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Whackers are over the top ricky rescues who are so annoying you wanna whack em.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

So it's entirely subjective? There is no clear delineation between "provider" and "whacker" other than they annoy you?

That seems so weak that I would be reluctant to call someone a whacker in fear that it would show some serious deficits in my own personality and self securities.

But, that's just me. I only care about doing my best to not kill people.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Never mind that it may infact be detrimental to the profession to dress like a whacker ... that's not important right you know who needs professional advancement? :unsure:

I'd say the thing most detrimental are the providers that recognize EMS can be more than what it is, but do nothing to change it except complain on an internet forum that it's broken.

(that isn't directed at any one person)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
Plus one.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So it's entirely subjective? There is no clear delineation between "provider" and "whacker" other than they annoy you?
Being a provider and being a wacker are not mutually exclusive concepts.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Being a provider and being a wacker are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I think they should be. I work in two rural communities. I work pretty much every weekend shift and I volunteer at least two nights a week. Not because I want to, but because I have to despite the fact I have a full time career and I am a teacher to boot.

If we start making folks who are providers feel they are inferior because the have a gadget fetish I think we run the risk of losing otherwise good people.

I dont know, maybe I put too much thought into a silly conversation, but it seems to me the guy who wears his radio at the grocery store 20 minutes from his response area when he is not even on duty is a whacker, and someone who wears whatever he can fit on his belt while on duty is simply an EMT/FF who likes hear.

Ever been to an IDPA match, or flyfishing, or camping, etc... you see where this is going, there are "gear heads" in every walk of life, but it is only when you display the tools of your trade when you are NOT working is when it is a problem. In my ever so humble opinion.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Even when I'm organized or hygenic enough for remembering my personal steth, I still put it in the bag, cause I don't want to carry it around. That's just me. I can spend hours and hours not on a call, or I can do 5 calls in a row. I don't love having stuff on me all the time, but I find that when I'm puttering around the station doing whatever, I use my leatherman the most. Heck, I even used it at Walmart the other day.

Ah! I usually keep everything I need on a run but not in the station on a separate shelf by the door to the bay, so I don't end up wearing a personal steth all day (on days that I remember to grab it before leaving the house which is not often these days). On special duty for events, I'll carry the steth all day since I tend to show up on the scene before the bag with the steth does.

Consider this... I was working a day shift (I volunteer and work perdiem) the perdiem crew needs to wear a uniform. Name and FF/EMT-I enbroidered on shirt, service on one shoulder and EMT-I patch on other. I was the provider on a two man crew with a basic as a driver. I needed a medic for a call, put out a tone for intown ALS and got a medic. He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt... he was clearly the higher level given that he took over, and directed me how to assist him.

The entire call, and ride to the hospital the patient looked at me, asked me questions and assumed BECAUSE OF THE UNIFORM that I was incharge.

I am not sure about you, but I care what the PATIENT thinks of how I present myself... not my peers. Those patches, radios and badges may seem silly to you but they represent training, authority and safety to the patient... right wrong or otherwise.

Well, yes, but there's a difference between uniform and jeans, and uniform with badge and uniform without badge. I doubt a patient would really notice or care about the latter difference.

It all depends on what your service deems acceptable. Where I work, we wear a flight suit and carry our radios on either a New York strap or a whacker belt. Where I worked perviously, either a strap or super hero belt would get you laughed off the truck.

Here, my class A uniform is a white shirt with badge, tie, hat, blazer, pants and dress shoes. Most privates don't have that, but as a county service we do. Do I wear a badge every day? Nope. Do I wear it with pride on my class A? Sure do.

I wear the uniform my service dictates and then add the tools I need to do my job, like shears, light, knife, iPhone and radio strap. If you don't like what I'm wearing or carrying, don't look. ;)

Who really cares what we wear, as long as we treat the patient appropriately.

There you you, wear what you need as the situation dictates. Amazing what common sense can do!

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the idea of the OP. With the EMT with a badge, radio holster, etc. We all see that as a wacker, as long as their skills are sufficient it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem arises when we meet our psych pt, who has been harassed by PD. Do we want to look like a police officer? Or do we want to look like a different type of civil servant?

In my experience, not being the police leads to better results.

Maybe the OP (and many people on this forum) feel that by wearing all the extra gear the "wacker" is trying to emulate a police officer or someone in a position of higher power.

Yes, avoid looking like the guys with guns at all costs! Around here, Fire/EMS wears dark blue. Police wear white shirts with black bottoms, and sheriff wear black tops with olive bottoms...

I think they should be. I work in two rural communities. I work pretty much every weekend shift and I volunteer at least two nights a week. Not because I want to, but because I have to despite the fact I have a full time career and I am a teacher to boot.

If we start making folks who are providers feel they are inferior because the have a gadget fetish I think we run the risk of losing otherwise good people.

I dont know, maybe I put too much thought into a silly conversation, but it seems to me the guy who wears his radio at the grocery store 20 minutes from his response area when he is not even on duty is a whacker, and someone who wears whatever he can fit on his belt while on duty is simply an EMT/FF who likes hear.

Ever been to an IDPA match, or flyfishing, or camping, etc... you see where this is going, there are "gear heads" in every walk of life, but it is only when you display the tools of your trade when you are NOT working is when it is a problem. In my ever so humble opinion.

Once again, wear what you need to get what you need done. It's the people who wear 3 sets of shears or carry gear on them they never use that get laughed at here. If you wear something, but are using it often, no one is going to say anything. We're dispatched on 2 different frequencies so around here, wearing 2 pagers/radios is considered normal if you are by yourself walking around. (if you are with your partner or the rest of your crew, you'll split the radios unless you're trying to make the probie carry everything that day).

Common sense people!

Also a little bit of bling is not a huge deal. Some people like to wear a pink ribbon in support of breasts. Others might have a stork pin (I'd wear one if I could ever get one!). But as long as it's not excessive past what you are required to wear, then you're fine. I have just one patch (department patch) and my name on my uniform and like it that way (I do need to get an American flag at some point, but they give us a year to meet new uniform standards!). If you want a cancer pin or whatever, that's your call and is no one's business unless the chief wants to make it his business.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Well, yes, but there's a difference between uniform and jeans, and uniform with badge and uniform without badge. I doubt a patient would really notice or care about the latter difference.

Then why is it being discussed? I work at a patient centered hospital and if something has no bearing on the patient it does not matter.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Then why is it being discussed? I work at a patient centered hospital and if something has no bearing on the patient it does not matter.

Well that's what I'm saying, it depends on where you are working. If where you are they don't care, then they don't care.

If the guy signing my paychecks says to wear a badge, I'll wear it, if he says not to, I won't and if he says he doesn't care, then I won't wear one, but it's none of my business if my partner chooses to wear one.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Well that's what I'm saying, it depends on where you are working. If where you are they don't care, then they don't care.

If the guy signing my paychecks says to wear a badge, I'll wear it, if he says not to, I won't and if he says he doesn't care, then I won't wear one, but it's none of my business if my partner chooses to wear one.

Got it :)

FirstInTac'dOut

Forum Ride Along
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here...
This site seems to be primarily driven by opinion, so here's mine.
I'm new to the forum, although I've been a reader for over a year now, and wanted to come by it honestly when I created my username, so you know where I'm coming from (obviously).
I live in an area where "whacker" is an oft-used term, and I'm sure that it gets thrown around behind my back, but I can honestly say that I don't give a d*mn, and here's why:

1. There was a time, recently, when I responded to a medical call at an event, went out with my partner, O2, jump bag, AED, etc. Pt was pulseless, apneic, and cyanotic. Laid the pt out and began CPR. Well, after one cycle of compressions my (new) partner was still assembling the BVM while she radioed for the other crew on scene and their AED, and suddenly I really, REALLY wished that I had the pocket mask I had to buy for training. So you know what I did that night? I put it on my belt, right next to the Leatherman and the Surefire, both of which I've also had to use on calls. That way, the next time I'm in that position I don't have to choose between giving air and a mouthful of puke, which as a CPR instructor I can tell you is no choice at all. (Pt recovered, btw).

2. I will always, always believe that EMS needs to become a paramilitary style organization in training, operations, and organization, the details of which I can save for another thread, but since we're talking about "whacker-dom" I can point out that the military issues load-bearing vests that allow soldiers to carry the majority of their gear ON THEIR PERSON so that it is accessible in a crisis. That logic holds true when you are plunging into service at an MCI. No, it doesn't happen everyday, but i prefer to Be Prepared and not have to go running back to the bag. So carrying your scope, shears, your penlight, some 4x4s in the cargo pocket, whatever, is only going to make you a more effective practitioner of EMS, and efficiency is priority #1. It's certainly not going to make you WORSE. All the training in the world is useless if you don't have your equipment, and all the gear in the world isn't going to save you if you don't take your job seriously and study up. If you just want to wear straight officer-style slacks and your duty shirt and keep all the other gear in the bag and the truck, by all means. Just don't criticize someone for wanting to equip themselves appropriately for the unexpected.

3. The public, and the patient, DOES take into account the image that you convey. I worked for a company before that handed out EMS badges, and you know what? People actually responded to them, respected them. Little anecdote, my girlfriend and I recently passed an accident scene driving through NJ, and climbing out of a squad car was an officer in khaki cargos, a green button up & ballcap, with a thigh holster for his sidearm and a webbed belt for his gear (This was a traffic light, we had a minute to take it all in). You know what her reaction was? "Wow, that guy looks really good. He looks like he knows what he is doing." Before you think that she's easily impressed, she's not, or that she's saying it for my benefit, she rarely if ever sees me at work. The man was just... Impressive.

I know that is only one example, but the fact is that what you look like has everything to do with how you are perceived by people, and being that EMS deals largely with strangers, making that impression is key to making them feel safe. Just conduct yourself with the confidence that you can appropriately manage the situation and put the patient at ease. Whether you roll onto a scene with a 5.11 vest stuffed with gear or you wear ****ies and a polo to work, just look and act like you take your role in medicine seriously. Lazy-a** transport company culture has infected EMS, and it really has to stop if this profession is going to take the quantum leap forward that it's capable of. The inter-EMS judgments, scorn, and mocking really undermine what we, as a service, are trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealMedic

Forum Probie
All these posts from all over are very cool to read. My 2 cents is you just go with whatever the local costume is. I like just basic EMS blue with the EMS pants, a pair of shears, a leatherman, radio pouch on my belt, done deal. I think flight suits look grand and are easy to get in/out of. I can take or leave a badge although I understand folks are proud of em & they should be. Nothin wrong with that. Those gents from Queensland look pretty cool and I'm sure ole Brownie from north island looks swell in his get up and ketamine. So, thats my vent. Like the good Dr. said in the movie to Adam Sadler "CHILL"
Be safe!

SHFD

Forum Ride Along
At my company they silently encourage lapel pins that I got tired of putting on my uniform, which are definitely professional but not necessary. I do use a whacker belt for my radio which is just practical as hell when you have a lapel mic to diddle with, and it's great to have something that easy to throw on when i'm on an overnight. I do carry my scope around my neck, but only because I have lost my other one for good after leaving it on the tech harness multiple times...Woot for private service! I know some EMTs and Medics on dedicated trucks like to use a batbelt, but they're old timers that no one would bother to poke fun at anyone. It's funny because some systems will require you to use a radio belt, and wear a badge, but you go into a different area where they don't and everyone looks at you like your a martian. Next thing you know the firefighters nickname you radio >.>

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
1. There was a time, recently, when I responded to a medical call at an event, went out with my partner, O2, jump bag, AED, etc. Pt was pulseless, apneic, and cyanotic. Laid the pt out and began CPR. Well, after one cycle of compressions my (new) partner was still assembling the BVM while she radioed for the other crew on scene and their AED, and suddenly I really, REALLY wished that I had the pocket mask I had to buy for training. So you know what I did that night? I put it on my belt, right next to the Leatherman and the Surefire, both of which I've also had to use on calls. That way, the next time I'm in that position I don't have to choose between giving air and a mouthful of puke, which as a CPR instructor I can tell you is no choice at all. (Pt recovered, btw).

3. The public, and the patient, DOES take into account the image that you convey. I worked for a company before that handed out EMS badges, and you know what? People actually responded to them, respected them. Little anecdote, my girlfriend and I recently passed an accident scene driving through NJ, and climbing out of a squad car was an officer in khaki cargos, a green button up & ballcap, with a thigh holster for his sidearm and a webbed belt for his gear (This was a traffic light, we had a minute to take it all in). You know what her reaction was? "Wow, that guy looks really good. He looks like he knows what he is doing." Before you think that she's easily impressed, she's not, or that she's saying it for my benefit, she rarely if ever sees me at work. The man was just... Impressive.

Quick response:

1) What we've learned is that that pocket mask doesn't really matter . As a CPR instructor, you understand that breaths aren't important, and your time would be better spent providing quality chest compressions than worrying about where to find a pocket mask.
Maybe this means you need a redesign of your jumpkits, to place a pocketmask in an outside compartment of all of your bags. The services I work for do this, even in bags where there is a BVM, because we know how long it takes to fish the thing out and set it up, although I presume this will change as we all get more used to the new protocols.

2) I would much rather providers show up (and remain) presentable with a pressed shirt, free from stains that tell stories of their last six meals, clearly identify their affiliation (company/service), and level of training (certification). Don't you?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
3. You know what her reaction was? "Wow, that guy looks really good. He looks like he knows what he is doing." Before you think that she's easily impressed, she's not, or that she's saying it for my benefit, she rarely if ever sees me at work. The man was just... Impressive.
I think she reacted to the fact that he had everything squared away. That's possible with a bat-belt, but much less hassle and more striking with less gear. The most important thing seems to be not being visibly overequipped and putting a little effort into looking neat. But I've been infected by "lazy-*ss transport company culture" and haven't pressed a shirt in months, though I do try to get my collar insignia even.

I suspect we overestimate the impact of badges because we notice and respect/admire/covet them. I don't know how many patients do, or what the badge means to them.

2) I would much rather providers show up (and remain) presentable with a pressed shirt, free from stains that tell stories of their last six meals, clearly identify their affiliation (company/service), and level of training (certification). Don't you?

I'd settle for a visible ID. Seriously, it's identification. It only works if people read it. If you're that worried about the patient learning your name, something's amiss.