You might work for a private if.....

You can predict your next call based on the time and location of your last clearing.

This is an awesome observation. I've become quite adept of doing this every day at work. So much so that co-workers think I have insider information from dispatch. Little do they know, it just takes rationality and logic.

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
Unfortunatly yes because here there is no one hiring and EMS jobs are few and far between. Im a firefighter EMT but due to my age i have only a few places to be hired. Im only 20 so i have a problem....

Why because of your age? Is it because you don't meet the experience they are looking for? From my understand from your previous posts you have been an FF/EMT since 18 right? Most places around here ask for 2-3 years experience, min age is usually 18.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
insurance reasons. they like you to be 21 because they are cheaper to insure. But anyways. I was working a new area the other day and my partner (for the day) was able to guess the exact pt and time of transport. Nice thing is it gave us an hour to just relax in the EMS room at the hospital!

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
insurance reasons. they like you to be 21 because they are cheaper to insure. But anyways. I was working a new area the other day and my partner (for the day) was able to guess the exact pt and time of transport. Nice thing is it gave us an hour to just relax in the EMS room at the hospital!

Ah that makes sense... I don't have a lot of experience in the private sector, I just remembered the jobs I looked at only required a min age of 18 with 2-3 years experience. But I enjoy Fire/EMS way too much to see myself transitioning :/.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
Insurance is EXACTLY the issue. There is a county 911 but its private owned running county 911 and there its who ya know or who ya blow to get your foot in the door iv put in multiple apps and nothing but a brand new EMT that was hired at my company got hired there within 2 weeks because his parents knew the guy in charge! Bogus... And another county service you have to be 23 and another they want to become an all paramedic service i was in line for my last interview (we had 3) when a medic applied and took the slot they had opend. and i was told by the supervisor that is was because he was a medic. If he wouldnt have applied i would have got it.:angry:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you might work for a private if you are doing a discharge from a hospital (and an ambulance), and the patient develops chest pain... and while enroute to the patient's residence, you call 911 on your cell phone, requesting an ambulance and paramedics to respond to the residence, which you are 5 minutes away from. when the 911 operator asks "why you don't just transport to the hospital?" "Because my dispatcher says I need to take the person home, so the insurance company will pay for the transport. So the patient was told he can call 911 from home to get an ambulance to take him to the hospital."

SMDH....

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
you might work for a private if you are doing a discharge from a hospital (and an ambulance), and the patient develops chest pain... and while enroute to the patient's residence, you call 911 on your cell phone, requesting an ambulance and paramedics to respond to the residence, which you are 5 minutes away from. when the 911 operator asks "why you don't just transport to the hospital?" "Because my dispatcher says I need to take the person home, so the insurance company will pay for the transport. So the patient was told he can call 911 from home to get an ambulance to take him to the hospital."

SMDH....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
You're the crew that always gets the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty rig but on this day you get the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty one that's been gone for a while. Sure, it's fixed right.

They make you drive to the fun hospital in Inglewood and you make it there. Nearly an hour in traffic to transport the patient a single mile, yes 1.0 motherfking miles.

What happens? The POS rig stalls just 100 feet form the intersection, you can see the drop off facility. Thanks to your automotive skill and determination you manage to get the ambulance to travel the last few feet to the destination.

Then you wait an hour and a half for the tow truck and ride back to the station with him...

cheap *** mother:censored::censored::censored::censored:ers

MedicBender

Forum Captain
You're the crew that always gets the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty rig but on this day you get the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty one that's been gone for a while. Sure, it's fixed right.

They make you drive to the fun hospital in Inglewood and you make it there. Nearly an hour in traffic to transport the patient a single mile, yes 1.0 motherfking miles.

What happens? The POS rig stalls just 100 feet form the intersection, you can see the drop off facility. Thanks to your automotive skill and determination you manage to get the ambulance to travel the last few feet to the destination.

Then you wait an hour and a half for the tow truck and ride back to the station with him...

cheap *** mother:censored::censored::censored::censored:ers

That's better then having your truck break down 3.5 hours into BFE Iowa. We managed to limp the truck to the receiving hospital, then to a grocery story parking lot where we waited 3 hours for a tow truck.

After the guy who smells like dip and whiskey loads the rig up, all 3 of us climbed into a single cab tow truck and took a cozy ride back home.

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
You were concerned about washing your truck for fear that the dirt may be the bonding agent holding it together....

Edited to add: After washing above mentioned truck, you wish you hadn't, because the dirt was doing a decent job of hiding just how much rust is on it...

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If management changes more than the season, you know you work for a private.

If you select your schedule based on when supervisors are not around, you know you work for a private.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you select your schedule based on when supervisors are not around, you know you work for a private.

Or what supervisor is on duty at the time... I do that for my 911 service a LOT

firecoins

IFT Puppet

TransportJockey

Forum Chief