Wilderness Medicine Expeditions for Medical Professionals

8jimi8

CFRN
This is a course put on by NOLS. I know that they are reputable for outdoor skills and leadership, but my question is has anyone been to one of these events?

It seems to me, based on their curricullum that the price is over inflated (@2000 minimum depending on which expedition you choose - hiking, sailing, or rafting)

You get 16 hours of Cat I CMEs. I haven't yet had to pay for any CMEs, so please chime in if you feel that this is a ridiculous cost.

Also it mentions something about credits for the "Fellowship of the
Academy of Wilderness medicine." I've been doing internet searches and can't really find what the "fellowship" is.

Would I be better off taking a $500 W-EMT class

Here is a course curricullum sample from a hiking expedition

Upon completion of the Wind River Range Backpacking Expedition the student will be able to, in a wilderness
setting:
• Perform a patient assessment; manage life threats and scene safety
• Manage head, spine and musculoskeletal injury with minimal equipment
• Manage emergencies due to heat and cold
• Understand the utility and limits of ALS in the wilderness
• Prepare a reasonable pack with essential medical and personal gear for 24 hours in the wilderness
• Organize, lead and participate in a simulated wilderness litter evacuation
• Dress appropriately for the weather encountered on this expedition
• Cook nutritious meals using a camp stove and field rations
• Demonstrate campsite selection and shelter use skills
• Navigate in mountain terrain with map, compass and GPS
• Travel off-trail in mountain terrain
• Consistently perform sound leave-no-trace skills
• Demonstrate basic ability to manage risks including: rock fall, steep terrain, stream crossing, bear
avoidance, lightning and adverse weather
• Demonstrate sound expedition behavior including modeling teamwork, support of group decision and a
positive attitude during adversity
• Show leadership with peers using styles appropriate to the situation
• Demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making

...Course Cost
$2200. Includes lodging 8/28-9/5; transportation during the course; course faculty; instruction and materials; 16
hours of category 1 CME's or 16 hours of EMT CEUs, and up to 28 hours credit towards the Fellowship of the
Academy of Wilderness medicine

I'm an avid rock climber with a good deal of experience in nature... and half of these bullet points, I can safely say, I don't need training on.

I understand that this is probably an overrated, overpriced "expedition," but I am wondering if anyone might be able to point out some positive aspects about this, that would actually make it worth the money??

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
You can learn about the FAWM at www.wms.org. Basically, it's a credential that shows that you've studied a particular number of hours in core wilderness medicine subjects and have sufficient experience in the field.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
and half of these bullet points, I can safely say, I don't need training on.

Never overestimate the need for a refresher. ;) That said...the price is a bit steep for stuff you could cobble together on your own, especially if you want the FAWM.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
NOLS is a for-profit corporation. These courses are perhaps more for those folks that do not have any Wilderness/outdoor experience.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
WMA WALS class was fairly good, seemed to cover all those bullet points, for a lot less money.

These classes are great if you are inexperienced in medicine or the out of doors. A lot of primary care stuff is covered that you won't see in the medic curriculum. If you are an experienced clinician with ED and pre-hospital experience and feel comfortable in the wilderness, it will likely be 90+% review for you.

Many people were doing it for the 2nd-3rd-4th time because it's a fun way to earn all of the CE's you need. One NP was on her 5th time doing it as a way to get CE's while being out of doors.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Interesting, as these count for ems or nursing

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Most outdoor expeditions/treks etc will charge anywhere from $140.00 - $200.00/day. You generally supply your own clothing, toiletries and sleeping bag and the trip provider supplies everything else. Any educational course on the trip is an extra cost. If you deduct say $500.00 for the course and any taxes on the price, that 8 day trip is about $200.00/day. On the high side but not outrageously so. It costs money to have properly trained guides and instructors for a trip such as this. Food and equipment is also expensive. They have to be prepared to babysit and totally look after the lowest experienced person on the trip. If you have experience, and they have no way of knowing how good you are until after they see you on the trip, you just make their life easier. NOLS has a reputation and you are undoubtedly paying for that as well.

I personally have no experience with NOLS but I have guided for a friend who has an outfitting company and takes people on wilderness trips. So I've seen the other side of the coin.