why are ems people so strange?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I've noticed that the ones who work professionally in busy systems and do some real stuff tend (on average) to advertise their profession off duty to a much lesser extent than those who are volunteer, those who are new, or those that are both new and are working at an IFT only company.

My dept forbids any showing of any county identifiers on youtube, facebook, or anything similar, or any working incidents. Group photos at the firehouse can be okay, if done in good taste, but that's about it.

Many like to purchase EMS or FD license plates. I'm getting some for our two cars. It has the potential to help with tickets. Just being honest. I don't want to hear "you shouldn't be breaking the law, blah blah blah", we all do it. 5-10 mph over is standard, 20-30 or more is inexcusable. I also have a county emblem on my POV, and an IAFF sticker. That's about it. I'd feature a star of life, but if I pass by an incident (going to fast to stop) or if I'm out with my family I may not want to be bothered if it's not life and death.

I might wear a FRD issued shirt for PT, and my recruit class shirt on occasion (going to the store, playing with my daughter in the park, etc.) but that's about it.

Wearing an EMS or FR shirt may help you get some deals. We're expressly forbidden to ask for any kind of deals based on our affiliation. If a salesperson/agent notices your shirt and asks if and where you work, hey, you didn't start the conversation.

Some employers will actually have a handbook listing businesses that give discounts to their dept. "Indirect" advertising of where you work is similar to that, IMO.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I've noticed that the ones who work professionally in busy systems and do some real stuff tend (on average) to advertise their profession off duty to a much lesser extent than those who are volunteer, those who are new, or those that are both new and are working at an IFT only company.

While anecdotal, I have to agree with this assessment 100%.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The other day, I noticed the license of a guy who cut me off. Fire tags, and vanity place MED123-4. I knew the numbers. Maybe someone was just borrowing the car or something, but it sure made that station look bad.

My dept forbids any showing of any county identifiers on youtube, facebook, or anything similar, or any working incidents. Group photos at the firehouse can be okay, if done in good taste, but that's about it.

I've noticed that too. In my vollie department, it's worst among the the teenagers, the unemployed, those who've newly retired from other jobs, and those who just got out of the military. I think it's because all of them are looking for some sense of identity. On the other hand, you won't catch the healthcare professionals or career staff with anything of the sort.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The other day, I noticed the license of a guy who cut me off. Fire tags, and vanity place MED123-4. I knew the numbers. Maybe someone was just borrowing the car or something, but it sure made that station look bad.

It makes it so easy for the public to report a possible drunk or drugged driver who is driving unsafely.

Police also love to get detailed descriptions of tricked out POVs posing as emergency vehicles to impress others on the roadway.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We did a poll, we're mostly young and male...

There are only a few reasons people do stuff once they have met most of Maslow's imperative: for status/respect, for mates, for identification with a community, and free beers on St Patrick's day in cop and fireman bars.

The people who are EMS but don't do stuff like that are older and are inconspicuous. We tend to carry a little wallet badge or ID card so we can try to discretely "tin" the officer when we get pulled over or at a scene on our off time... the first is illegal, the second is possibly illegal.

But as to why are we weird, again, those who are acting "normally" are inconspicuous. Young males tend to be exhibitionistic. Yes, many of us are proud of what we try to do and gain identity thereby. And, yes, it is not normal to tend to the sick and injurd...we forget that, most of those around us would walk away from or over a victim. Maybe call 911.

Remember "Repo Man".

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I've noticed that too. In my vollie department, it's worst among the the teenagers, the unemployed, those who've newly retired from other jobs, and those who just got out of the military. I think it's because all of them are looking for some sense of identity. On the other hand, you won't catch the healthcare professionals or career staff with anything of the sort.

having an EMS license plate ought to be a deterrent to speeding and/or aggressive driving.

I've noticed some MD plates, and a fair amount of RN plates in my travels. more so in NY than anywhere else. You won't find any "buff" stickers or anything of the like on their POV's however.

Not having a strong sense of identity is the problem. One should have the ability to dissociate from their job when off duty. It's sad if one thinks that they have to "be something" for people to like them. I had plenty of friends when I was doing beverage delivery and loading trucks.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
46Young said:
Not having a strong sense of identity is the problem. One should have the ability to dissociate from their job when off duty. It's sad if one thinks that they have to "be something" for people to like them. I had plenty of friends when I was doing beverage delivery and loading trucks.

I agree. I can see why it would be such an attractive job for that sort. I think they just don't realize how stupid it makes them look, or how obnoxious they can be when they just won't shut up about their last great call.

It makes it so easy for the public to report a possible drunk or drugged driver who is driving unsafely.

Police also love to get detailed descriptions of tricked out POVs posing as emergency vehicles to impress others on the roadway.

Seriously. It's not like the cops wouldn't know where to find this guy...

At least it didn't look like a deliberate attempt at impersonation. Would've definitely called that in--heard too many horror stories about how those can be used beyond impressing other drivers.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Many like to purchase EMS or FD license plates. I'm getting some for our two cars. It has the potential to help with tickets. Just being honest. I don't want to hear "you shouldn't be breaking the law, blah blah blah", we all do it. 5-10 mph over is standard, 20-30 or more is inexcusable. I also have a county emblem on my POV, and an IAFF sticker. That's about it. I'd feature a star of life, but if I pass by an incident (going to fast to stop) or if I'm out with my family I may not want to be bothered if it's not life and death.

In some states (Kentucky for example) it can be a liability if you stop and announce in anyway you are an EMT or Paramedic. There are some instances where you can get director approval for an off-duty kit and off-duty abilities. IE you can do everything you'd do on duty taht you have equipment for and be protected by the department. That is a special deal though, as long as you don't touch the patients you're fine. But if you touch one and that patient just so happens to be paralyzed or dies, you are not protected by good samaritan laws. It's a bit of a gray area and I'd rather not toe that particular line. If you stop, ask if everyone is ok, get a quick assessment of how much resources are needed and place the 911 call it helps the responding crews out. Other than that, I'm off duty I'm hands off.

The converse of that is you can interact (at the mall and someone drops, CPR and AED's are available, start that and call it in, bleeding out from a wreck, etc), the thing is you do layperson stuff only and when the crew responds you can say you are an observer who helped. Your name doesn't go in the reports, but hte second you get out anything (except a pocket mask) you have to fill out paperwork.

I've also gotten out of a ticket with my star of life, my rebel alliance sticker also helped me once (before i got the star of life). I was pulled over and the cop walked up to the car and "Whats the rush han solo, I hear there's a bounty on your head" I thought it was funny.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
At FDNY EMS if you were off duty and you come across an incident, you help out, and get paid for the amount of time you worked the call. I don't know if this is still in effect.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
At FDNY EMS if you were off duty and you come across an incident, you help out, and get paid for the amount of time you worked the call. I don't know if this is still in effect.

It's just going to be different every state and every system. Like I said despite the law not covering EMT's and paramedics, you can get permission to work in an off-duty capacity, doing anything you have equipment for. You don't get paid for it however.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sacramento County expressly authorizes accredited ALS personnel who are employed (in any capacity) with an ALS provider to provide ALS to their full scope of practice, depending upon whatever equipment is available at the time. All accredited ALS personnel may possess and use advanced airway devices. With company and EMS Medical Director approval, some Accredited ALS personnel can carry all drugs, supplies, and equipment off duty (except for Morphine and Versed) and use them. Otherwise, if the stuff magically happens to appear... everything can be used. Most other Counties restrict their accredited Paramedics to BLS only, if off-duty.

Aliakey

Forum Probie
I think you people in Lubbock speak with a lisp as what you describe is a whacker. Or even a WOO WOO.

Eh, "Cracker" works... maybe all west Texas has a lisp then 'cause that's how I hear it as well. "Whacker" brings other thoughts to mind which shouldn't be openly mentioned in somewhat polite mixed company 'round here. :blush:

"Crackers": Easily identified with the remote-controlled woo-woo lights and sirens brazenly mounted to the front bull guards on their pickups (whose 36" Super Swamper tires apparently never leave pavement). Star of Life car seat covers protect the glorified butt of the "Cracker", a set of blue bull testicle ornaments complement the pickup's hitch, and you'll find the EMT-Basic sticker never alone: usually sets next to the fire department sticker and other assorted fire insignia.

Ever since a rather large and unhygenic female hiked a bare leg to an empty chair next to me at Furr's, asking "ya think a doc should see this big ol' bumpy thing drainin' like this?", I have never again worn another EMS-type shirt to a public place. :wacko:

{Sigh} And I was just a pathetic lil' ol' student then, wearing my clinical EMS shirt, trying to feed this empty stomach before the next rotation.

LOL!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Eh, "Cracker" works... maybe all west Texas has a lisp then 'cause that's how I hear it as well. "Whacker" brings other thoughts to mind which shouldn't be openly mentioned in somewhat polite mixed company 'round here. :blush:

"Crackers": Easily identified with the remote-controlled woo-woo lights and sirens brazenly mounted to the front bull guards on their pickups (whose 36" Super Swamper tires apparently never leave pavement). Star of Life car seat covers protect the glorified butt of the "Cracker", a set of blue bull testicle ornaments complement the pickup's hitch, and you'll find the EMT-Basic sticker never alone: usually sets next to the fire department sticker and other assorted fire insignia.

Ever since a rather large and unhygenic female hiked a bare leg to an empty chair next to me at Furr's, asking "ya think a doc should see this big ol' bumpy thing drainin' like this?", I have never again worn another EMS-type shirt to a public place. :wacko:

{Sigh} And I was just a pathetic lil' ol' student then, wearing my clinical EMS shirt, trying to feed this empty stomach before the next rotation.

LOL!

Actually cracker is an offensive slur against white people.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cracker

magik20

Forum Ride Along
im a FF / EMT, and i wear fire department shirts all the time...

I love my FF shirts, i collect them from all over the planet ( europe, austrila, all over the USA ) :), and no, im nto a yahoo.... i dont wear EMS Pants ... ever.... I dont have any lights on my car.... and hell i atm i dont even have a FF sticker on it either :)

Aliakey

Forum Probie
Actually cracker is an offensive slur against white people.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cracker

Okay..true... ya' got me. And more specifically, refers to poor white folk. I ain't rich, and I'm white. My favorite pickup has more Bondo than steel to 'er, and Larry the Cable Guy leaves me swooning. :blush:

In the US though, "cracker" also means a little crispy white edible thing, typically topped with a layer of salt. Also means one of those *BANG* thingies with that wonderful black powder smell that ya' see on July 4th. Also can refer to a particular type of cowboy in Florida that cracks whips, using the sound to drive cattle out of the thick brush. Also means... ;)

Anyway, just pullin' on your leg a bit. Didn't mean to cause harm or trouble. In my little hole of the world, a "cracker" means just what I described and what others have been referring to in this thread. Tomato... tom-Ah-to. Either way, I do apologize if an apology is being requested.

No harm done I hope. I'm not here to cause trouble, just learn. Life's too short.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Si senior. Work to live, not live to work! Get a hobby!

I have 2

a 56 willies Jeep and a 6.0L vortec rebuild.

I am also a mentor for "big brothers" here.

I also teach CPR and first aid on my free time to police and FD explorers.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
I see...identity confusion or lack of identity.

Repeat it here for those who missed it...

EMS is what we do, it is not who we are...

Speak for yourself, You may have a family to go home too. I don't have anyone. not even my parents... So back off before you start judging my lifestyle. I don't need to prove myself to anyone, and I don't need bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from anyone here. I did not join EMT LIFE to pick a fight but it seems there are nothing but :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s on this site that have nothing better to do. So maybe its you 2 that need the hobby. I know what im doing with my life and what I have on my plate Do you?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I have one ems related shirt. I got it as a gift from family who live near the park (on the shirt) while I was visiting. They knew I was going into EMS and would appreciate the humor in the shirt.

Feed the bears.
Ride the goats.
Climb the rock slides.
Raft the waterfalls.
Drive too fast and pass on curves.

We appreciate your support.
Glacier Park Paramedics.

If I get more, they will probably be in lines with the same kind of humor.

That's funny...mainly because my parents got me a similar shirt while they were in Alaska

Feed the bears.
Let your kids ride the moose.
Go without mosquito repellent.
Swan dive off a cruise ship.
Catch halibut from a rowboat.

We thank you for your support.
Alaska paramedics

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yes I do. I don't feel the need to publically display it or make it my entire life. I am just Sasha, not Sasha The EMT.

Speak for yourself, You may have a family to go home too. I don't have anyone. not even my parents... So back off before you start judging my lifestyle. I don't need to prove myself to anyone, and I don't need bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from anyone here. I did not join EMT LIFE to pick a fight but it seems there are nothing but :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s on this site that have nothing better to do. So maybe its you 2 that need the hobby. I know what im doing with my life and what I have on my plate Do you?