why are ems people so strange?

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
CRACKER!!

EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE CRACKER! <points at papaBear434>

:D

Hey now!

rn012r.jpg

This is mine, though I don't carry nearly as much stuff as this guy does in the picture. Heck, I don't even carry trauma shears anymore, since we have two in the jump bag. I carry a crapload of gloves, two pens, a penlight, a roll of tape, and a radio. I put it in the pouch on my belt because the pouch as a Velcro back that I can just take off when I lay down at night. When we get a call, I put it back on and get on the road. No emptying pockets, no scrambling with gear, all of it in one spot and easy to take off and put on.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of the EMSers I know are .... in some way a bit odd I wouldn't worry about it mate

... and as for the pouch hell I know people here we call "Batman" because of all the crap hanging off thier belt; pagers, radio, torch (it's daytime!), clamps, shears heck! :p

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I have one ems related shirt. I got it as a gift from family who live near the park (on the shirt) while I was visiting. They knew I was going into EMS and would appreciate the humor in the shirt.

Feed the bears.
Ride the goats.
Climb the rock slides.
Raft the waterfalls.
Drive too fast and pass on curves.

We appreciate your support.
Glacier Park Paramedics.

If I get more, they will probably be in lines with the same kind of humor.

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
This thread is helpful :p I'll make sure not to wear my stuff like that all the time. haha.

So why don't you want to be noticed when you're off-duty? That's my question ;)

Emily

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
We are not allowed to wear part of our uniform around the streets when not on duty or ambulance business, so that people will notice us.:ph34r:
And gone are the days that they printed tee-shirts for the ambo's to wear the service logo as casual off duty clothing.

Enjoynz

Sadly, when I started with my FD service, when given our polo shirts and such, there was the "stern warning" from the Asst Chief advising against using it as a pickup tool in bars (replete with the story of the recruit who pretended to be an Asst Chief in the bar a few doors down from the FD which, unsurprisingly, had many FD regulars), and also that trying to use it as a tool to get out of (or into) bar room brawls was an "extremely bad idea"...

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
This thread is helpful :p I'll make sure not to wear my stuff like that all the time. haha.

Emily

Because I'm off duty and I'm not attempting to become a paramedic for the praise. When I worked in IT I hated when people knew that and asked me about all their computer issues while I was off work. Cause honestly the last thing I wanted to do while relaxing with a beer at the pool is walk you through how to setup a router.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think we use it as an excuse to be different. In reality our profession is no more important than those that pick up trash. Everyone profession is important in the cycle of importance.

One will notice that the more the food chain goes as in education and professional categories the less "whacker" and propaganda appears to be needed to make one secure within their profession.

Ironically, once in a great while, you might see a vanity license tag that says heart doc on the Porsche or Mercedes but you will not usually see bumper sticker, ball caps, t-shirts that has such markings. Believe me, if pharmaceutical companies thought they would work they would have used such.

Yes, I have some stickers on my car. Short & simple, a state trooper advised me to get some so he could identify mine as I traveled a lot. Yes, I have several t-shirts.. alike all EMS events, they feel that a t-shirt is the best way to advertise their events or EMS week. So after 32 years I have a large collection, something I can jog or mow the yard in.

Having pride is one thing alike physicians and other professionals do but one does have to wear a placard off duty to do so.

R/r 911

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Emily

because if I'm identifiable as ems I am required to stop for any accidents or problems. And If I'm not at work I don't want to be required to do anything.

As for me... My jeep's hard top has a star of life on the lower left corner of theback glass. That's it and it's relatively small (2"x2")

As for clothes I have one shirt with emt on the back in block letters and that just usually gets worn under my uniform or scrubs in case I need to take the over garment off cause it got something on it. I've also worn it to the gym a couple times before (small on site gym at my apt).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
In the vein of stopping, I don't want to have to stop, in Kentucky, we are not protected by good samaritan unless you're a paramedic and have permission and/or asked by your MD to carry a car kit and stop at scenes. Not going to happen in the urban areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief

Emily

Simply put? While I am extremely proud of what I do and what I am training to do, and I am completely willing to help while off duty if I see something happen, I am not going to run around with a cape and a big "S" on my shirt.

I got into EMS to be a hero, sure, but I don't have a hero complex. Or I won't until I master the art of unassisted flight.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Seen plenty of em .... mainly fall into four broad categories as adrenaline junkies, glamour seekers, red light freaks or trauma/blood and guts weirdos.

I will say straight up I just can't stand them; not for a minute it's just like bro please get away from me! Not anything personal against them, most are young and that's not thier fault but newsflash mate quit watching TV!

I'm not totally immune either heck going up the freeway at 1am with the red and white lights flashing can be kind of fun once in a while (we have the new LED strobe lights and man talk about about christmas tree styles! lol)

Until we raise the entry-to-practice standard and make this a medical profession instead of a "hobby" in some parts of the world we're never going to do any good at weeding these people out ... I would generally speculate the number of whackers and siren freaks is lower in the nations of the British commonwealth and Europe than the US! Sorry guys :p

Keeven83

Forum Probie
We call them "Ricky Rescue"

If your going to wear all that :censored::censored::censored::censored: at least remember your representing a community of people and probably the department you work for.

I went to medic school with a guy that drove his truck around like a maniac cutting people off running red lights getting flicked off every ten minutes all while he has a big EMS license plate and all sorts of fire/ems stickers on the back of his car.

I know another guy that wears his EMS shirts out to bars getting obnoxious and making a fool of himself. If you ask me that has the potential to make us all look bad. If your going to have all this "pride" in what you do think about how your doing it. And yeah I've also noticed its the new kids that wear it all like they have something to prove. When im not at work I dont even want to think about it.

laura_s

Forum Probie
somtimes we have people at our company that sports all the ems logos and clothes but i have also noticed those are the ones who are always on time to work always have there con-ed in and are always proud of their work and love to be at work. I almost think this is a good thing they are enjoying their jobs and making thier lifes a bit more happier.I dont have any decals hats or clothes related to ems myself but i do have ems plates and i feel that i have every right to have them since im trained and do work in ems. Those who crack on my plates can laugh all they want, i smile when i see them and think of all the hard work i put in to deserve to have them on the back of my car...:p

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
well, I am proud that I help people. I don't think I am a life saver or a hero just doing something that I love to do. I have the nremt sticker on my back window and my red ems plates. Some look at it as a job but depending on what you are doing (transfers or 911 emergency) can give you a different view on your job. I don't look at it as a job but a life style. EMS is my life. If someone wants to put me down because I love what I do and have pride in it then screw em.

and I dont wear ems stuff off duty, thats just kinda lame....

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
well, I am proud that I help people. I don't think I am a life saver or a hero just doing something that I love to do. I have the nremt sticker on my back window and my red ems plates. Some look at it as a job but depending on what you are doing (transfers or 911 emergency) can give you a different view on your job. I don't look at it as a job but a life style. EMS is my life. If someone wants to put me down because I love what I do and have pride in it then screw em.

and I dont wear ems stuff off duty, thats just kinda lame....

I see...identity confusion or lack of identity.

Repeat it here for those who missed it...

EMS is what we do, it is not who we are...

Sasha

Forum Chief
I see...identity confusion or lack of identity.

Repeat it here for those who missed it...

EMS is what we do, it is not who we are...

Si senior. Work to live, not live to work! Get a hobby!