why are ems people so strange?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Speak for yourself, You may have a family to go home too. I don't have anyone. not even my parents... So back off before you start judging my lifestyle. I don't need to prove myself to anyone, and I don't need bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from anyone here. I did not join EMT LIFE to pick a fight but it seems there are nothing but :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s on this site that have nothing better to do. So maybe its you 2 that need the hobby. I know what im doing with my life and what I have on my plate Do you?

Thank you for proving my point further.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've noticed that the ones who work professionally in busy systems and do some real stuff tend (on average) to advertise their profession off duty to a much lesser extent than those who are volunteer, those who are new, or those that are both new and are working at an IFT only company...

I think I agree with this, to an extent. I have a B.S. alarm that gets tripped when I hear some of these folks telling tales - things like folks that work IFT bragging about running serious MVA calls and cardiac arrests... not dialysis runs. One thing I was taught by my recent paramedic course director - everyone knows someone... and verification is very easy. Never lie about stuff in this field... it will catch up to you, and you will regret it.

I know of one new EMT, at age 16, that was wearing a "EMT" badge to school every day on a belt clip. Around here, we use the word Whacker to describe that.

I'm a recovering whacker. I used to have a star-of-life key chain. It was a gift. I lost it... and did not see a need to replace it. I have EMS license plates. At this time, that is the ONLY marking other than a sticker for the local Boy Scout camp on my car... no cert stickers,etc.

I keep a non-EMS polo in the car, so that if I need to do errands before/after work, I don't need to wear squad/company uniform shirts... blue pants are just blue pants.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I keep a non-EMS polo in the car, so that if I need to do errands before/after work, I don't need to wear squad/company uniform shirts... blue pants are just blue pants.

I just take off my top shirt if I go anywhere. Like I went to a bar after work with coworkers. We were all in t-shirts and pants. No one felt the need to display who we were, we were just a group of people with matching t-shirts having a drink.

I noticed that those who don't define themselves with their professions are usually the ones who have full and rewarding lives away from work.

audreyj

Forum Probie
Here in IL we don't have to do anything if we're off duty. If there is no police or fire on scene we're encouraged to call 911 but we're not really obligated to do anything else. Our EMS coordinator said that having a jump bag, having all the stickers on your car, wearing hats/tshirts, etc. opens you up for liability in the event something happens. My EMT-B instructor said that all he recommends carrying is a pocket mask and that by advertising your profession and not acting when the need arises can open you up to liability.

I don't own any EMS apparel, decals, or other miscellaneous stuff, I *might* consider getting an O2 wrench and trauma shears only because those items are never to be found.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I think I agree with this, to an extent. I have a B.S. alarm that gets tripped when I hear some of these folks telling tales - things like folks that work IFT bragging about running serious MVA calls and cardiac arrests... not dialysis runs. One thing I was taught by my recent paramedic course director - everyone knows someone... and verification is very easy. Never lie about stuff in this field... it will catch up to you, and you will regret it.

I know of one new EMT, at age 16, that was wearing a "EMT" badge to school every day on a belt clip. Around here, we use the word Whacker to describe that.

I'm a recovering whacker. I used to have a star-of-life key chain. It was a gift. I lost it... and did not see a need to replace it. I have EMS license plates. At this time, that is the ONLY marking other than a sticker for the local Boy Scout camp on my car... no cert stickers,etc.

I think that it's only natural to be excited and proud to be starting in this profession. It's just that some take that enthusiasm to the extreme.

When I was new, I had a star of life and a company emblem on my car, and I carried a fully stocked BLS bag in my trunk "just in case". It just gathered dust. I couldn't get enough of EMS when I started. I would've worked around the clock if it were possible. After working 911 for a while in a busy system, I got my fill (fix?) from the high percentage of good calls. I'm still motivated and generally enjoy EMS, but I'm not looking to jump out of my car and hold C-spine whenever I pass a fender bender. I get plenty of action at work. Other than particpating in forums, and some side reading, I generally put EMS aside when I'm off duty.

If one needs more stimulation, get some PT work or volunteer, rather than freelancing.

Nowadays, when I'm out in public, or working my PT IFT job, I won't bring up that I work for FCFRD, unless someone specifically asks me. At the IFT place, the medics seem mentally balanced, but some of the basics, particularly the younger ones, show definite signs of "whackerdom". It's comical at times. When they're in station, quite a few remove their job shirt and sport their vollie t-shirt, and go on ad nauseum about their EMS runs from the past week or whatever. Every so often I get someone who shows me their overabundance of emergency lights on their POV's.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think there's a certain amount of starry eyed enthusiasm that can be excused in those new to EMS. The first big MVA is a huge adrenalin rush, of course the 131st, not so much.

When you finish a gnarly call, it's an odd adjustment to re-enter regular society where the details of what we do aren't considered polite dinner conversation. I think some compensate for that discomfort with a sort of 'in your face' demeanor setting themselves apart through dress, badges or license plates.

I love what I do. My biggest saves and proudest moments are those that went unnoticed by the general public. I'm not comfortable with praise so that suits me just fine. The other thing I've noticed is that when you are in line at the grocery store in your EMS gear the attention I get is more of the unwanted variety than welcome recognition. The little old lady who wants to discuss her blood pressure or the smelly guy who wants you to critique his last interface with EMS. If I have to run into the store, I will generaly toss a sweater over my t-shirt or tuck my radio deep into my purse when in public. (This also helps if I'm picking up a six pack of beer)