What's wrong with this picture?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
rescuecpt said:
I hope none of those 27 went anywhere near the patients...

looking at the scene from the sidewalk :rolleyes:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
TTLWHKR said:
Must you be so critical?

Hmmm, I don't think I'm being "critical" so much as hopeful that none of those "27 drunk, spaced out medics" would be so stupid as to try to touch a patient... forget about lawsuits and losing certs but for the patient's sake. I've had to deal with the problem of drunk EMTs first hand, it's no laughing matter, so excuse me for being "critical".

SmokinGun911

Forum Probie
I'm sure we've all been on scenes where proper protective clothing was absent on one or more of our responders.

I have this image seared in my memory of one of my guys - yeah, one of MY guys - in shorts, tank top and SANDALS operating the hydraulic tools trying to extricate a woman who had perished in an MVC. No sense of urgency at all and I should have stopped it, but I was shorthanded and busy managing two inbound aircraft and the rest of the chaos.

I will remember that for the rest of my career. Even though I spoke to him afterward, it was something I should have attended to at that moment.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
that couldve been bad for you if he had gotten hurt.

I know this does NOT come from experience BUT I wouldve said OK you go direct traffic while this person in full PPE cuts.

But I can see where you would already feel overwhelmed with two incoming aircraft and being shorthanded.

As I said before - I would make sure I myself was always prepared for the extremes being on volly squad and being on call 24/7/365. At least carry the bunker gear in your POV or always have it at the station if you ride an engine on all calls.

Just my opinion. ;)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
CaptainPanic said:
As I said before - I would make sure I myself was always prepared for the extremes being on volly squad and being on call 24/7/365. At least carry the bunker gear in your POV or always have it at the station if you ride an engine on all calls.

Ideal, but sometimes difficult. For example, my former FD only allowed officers to take their turnout gear home with them. But, if you were passing a scene on the way to the firehouse, you were allowed to stop- if you were a member, this means without gear. Also, as an officer, a couple times we received calls when I was not with my gear - for example when I was out running, or if I happened to be in someone else's car, or at the beach when the alarm went off for an MVA at the beach... it happens. But trying to always be prepared and/or have a backup plan is a smart idea.

SmokinGun911

Forum Probie
You're right, Capt'n Panic. It could have gone badly for me and he. Got lucky that time.

BTW - I love the avatar! Is that from the country trade publication add that said, 'Thanks country radio for not playing my records' or from the Live At San Quentin LP cover?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
rescuecpt said:
Hmmm, I don't think I'm being "critical" so much as hopeful that none of those "27 drunk, spaced out medics" would be so stupid as to try to touch a patient... forget about lawsuits and losing certs but for the patient's sake. I've had to deal with the problem of drunk EMTs first hand, it's no laughing matter, so excuse me for being "critical".

Says right there, looking from the sidewalk..

squid

Forum Lieutenant
Should you treat it as an MVA response if when you get there, there's no one in a car and you're only working off the roadway? That's a real question -- I'm not saying it's the case in the photo there, but it got me thinking.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, if it was easy for a motorcycle to get there, it should just as easy for a car to get there. But bunker gear isn't going to protect you when stuck by a vehicle. I doubt they moved the bikes, as most troopers would frown on that, so I'd say they must be kind of close to the roadway.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Stevo said:
sure, when limo's have red lights

That is very easily arranged... :)

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
What is with the guy & the clipboard? Looks like he is ready to clock the Pt in the far left side of the photo.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
oh he responded from Reliable Office supply, an opportunity for them to show the public that certain stationary can double as immobilization equipment...:)

perhaps he'll staple a laceration or two?

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
emtff99 said:
What is with the guy & the clipboard? Looks like he is ready to clock the Pt in the far left side of the photo.

He looks like he is trying to "grab air" while standing up.. we all do it. The occasional arm flail while standing, etc. :p