What's wrong with this picture?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
alrighty then....

we've the issue of identification

the issue of professional apperance

the issue of PPE

and the issue of youth

perhaps where i am differs from the urban arena in that (aside from the newbies) i know every emt in a 20 mile radius, and they know me.

inasmuch as i have noted that a uniform (i do have dress blues, bunker gear, jumpsuits, etc) do tend to grant a responding entity an aura of authority, it really is the fetish of authoritarians whom dwell on this detail.

the kids whom got picked last at the ball games whom find the draw of the clic and comadraie all the bling bling & cha cha gains them are, imho, the very same sorts whom lack compassion in the field

they're the ones with the biggest red lights on their personal vehicles, ever eager to have that stork or lifesaving pin strategically placed on their uniform, and are generally full of themselves because they joined to feed their frail egos, not to help people.

they are, imho, emsnazis

in the rural game, the closest emt makes the save if there is one to be had, mostly we will respond as is. people accept us as is, we identify ourselves to them , and that has always been ok here.

as to PPE, sure , there is a place for it on MVA's etc. But lets face it, most garden variety medical emergencies need nothing more than a pair of gloves. Now having been a minion of the state's IC, lectured by none other than Kate West & co i can honestly say that safety is big biz here.

If in fact there were enough avarian excrement incidents, all those helmets would then need to pass Ansi standards , our ever willing osha oversight would then have an excuse to launch another 90 pages of federal register at us, and the associated safety parasities would then create the subsequent protocalls to drain your local funding (as well as your time) pursuant to the specture of deadly avarian excrement on scene...

because that's the way it works folks.....

as to youth, well ems is a young persons (note i didn't say man, i'm just soooo PC this a.m.) game. And while nothing tends to look more ridiculous than some doogey houser newbie dressed to the nines , looking like s/he stold his/her daddy's uniform i do have to inform the 'old farts' here that they are going to blow our doors off sooner or later

look at it this way, someone held our hand when we started right? Let them take the riens and captain ems as it should be, without the glitter-ems menatlity

~S~

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
emtI said:
That kid in the fire helmet doesn't look old enough to drive, let alone be an EMT.
No one said he was an EMT. Most likely he's a MFR.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
emtI said:
That kid in the fire helmet doesn't look old enough to drive, let alone be an EMT.

See, I think he does look old enough.
Young, but over 18.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
TTLWHKR said:
Except the young kid, I'm against youth personnel on emergency scenes.

At the ambulance corps we have a youth squad. They are all trained in first aid, CPR, and all of the skills taught in NYS EMT class (taught in house by our own instructors) but are not yet EMTs because they are 16 or 17. Not every youth squad member is allowed to ride on the ambulance, they are hand picked for skill, maturity, and ability to function as a team member. I think right now we have 9 of 40 youth squadders actually riding. They ride with assigned crews and work as part of the team - of course, they never ride without an EMT, and they only perform functions under direct supervision and only the most basic skills, but they provide a valuable pair of extra hands, and they receive invaluable experience and field training that will only make them better EMTs in the future.

I agree that it may not be appropriate to have youth squad members on every call, and that is up to their crew to decide. I have kept my youth squad members off the rig when going to cardiac arrests and other calls that might be too traumatic. But hey, almost every MVA needs traffic control and they make great road blocks until PD arrives (hehehe).

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
My big concern is that the kid with the helemt on isnt wearing anything refelctive...even in the daytime we ALL need to be wearing dodge'em vests or turnouts...I would prefer someone seeing my orange very vs hitting me and saying I didnt see him stainding there...but thats me...and on our FD people show up in PJ's and bedroom shoes on, but at a wreck its UNDER there turnouts...I dont want to get blood, etc on me unless I have no other choice.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
FFEMT1764 said:
My big concern is that the kid with the helemt on isnt wearing anything refelctive...even in the daytime we ALL need to be wearing dodge'em vests or turnouts...I would prefer someone seeing my orange very vs hitting me and saying I didnt see him stainding there...but thats me...and on our FD people show up in PJ's and bedroom shoes on, but at a wreck its UNDER there turnouts...I dont want to get blood, etc on me unless I have no other choice.

Considering the patrol car, multiple motorcycles, multiple personnel, and the fact they are off the road, I really do not think it matters what they wear. If someone is going to plow them over, the pretty orange reflection isn't going to save them................

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Since everyone is sideline quarterbacking here with limited information, here is a link to the background of the call and additional pictures.

Remember this is a rural area that is served by a volunteer dept.

Clicky

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Chimpie said:
Since everyone is sideline quarterbacking here with limited information, here is a link to the background of the call and additional pictures.

Remember this is a rural area that is served by a volunteer dept.

Clicky

Okay. Rural volly squad. 4 patients. Its completely okay for them to be wearing shorts and tee shirts. For a rural squad like that to have 4 patiends, people come out of the wood work. They were probably working outside on their lawns or doing other chores.

As for the 'kid' I doubt he's under 18. He may be new, but he's an adult.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
rescuecpt said:
At the ambulance corps we have a youth squad. They are all trained in first aid, CPR, and all of the skills taught in NYS EMT class (taught in house by our own instructors) but are not yet EMTs because they are 16 or 17. Not every youth squad member is allowed to ride on the ambulance, they are hand picked for skill, maturity, and ability to function as a team member. I think right now we have 9 of 40 youth squadders actually riding. They ride with assigned crews and work as part of the team - of course, they never ride without an EMT, and they only perform functions under direct supervision and only the most basic skills, but they provide a valuable pair of extra hands, and they receive invaluable experience and field training that will only make them better EMTs in the future.

I agree that it may not be appropriate to have youth squad members on every call, and that is up to their crew to decide. I have kept my youth squad members off the rig when going to cardiac arrests and other calls that might be too traumatic. But hey, almost every MVA needs traffic control and they make great road blocks until PD arrives (hehehe).

"Youth Personnel" aka Junior Firemen. Can't legally do anything, just takes up a seat for someone else.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
bravo Michelle

perhaps the only thing 'wrong' with this pix(s) really boils down to our perception of it

~S~

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Maybe I should try showing up on-scene in bright pink camo and labrador house shoes eh?

Actually if I were a volly squad person, Id always have on clothes suitable for working MVAs. and Id have a squad shirt/jacket with me at all times in my vehicle as well as PPE. Sure Id never get to wear sandals much but at least I know Im prepared and wont lose a toe over it.

And I wear pants all the time anyway - I cant remember the last time I wore shorts.

As for lack of personel having PPE there are grants and load FDs can use to ensure that their personel are adequately protected.

-CP

rescuecpt

TTLWHKR said:
"Youth Personnel" aka Junior Firemen. Can't legally do anything, just takes up a seat for someone else.

They can open hydrants, stretch hose, pack hose, and in certain states, be an exterior firefighter (on a line). If the department is set up properly, they can be very helpful - but they should never "take" a seat from a qualified interior firefighter - especially not on a first or second due truck. But that's an officer's problem, not the youth personnel's problem - there should be someone telling them "nope, hop off - you're on the next truck". That's what a Company officer's job is.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
many times i'm in construction garb myself, carharts, steel toes, etc.

it's actually better protection than most uniforms

that said, anyone whom shows up on similar scenes with less than what would be deemed appropriate 'action area' threads can be the scribe, the gopher, the LZ or Med Con communicator , or just grab a neon vest out of the rig and do traffic control ....in fact they could just stand in one spot and be IC (there's where your bright pink camo would fly Capt!)

what you have to understand here is that most vollie squads have to make do , or do without

i've rolled on mva/code in progress alone, used bystanders , off duty RN's, visiting nurses etc, so have many of my mates

i don't advocate doing everything with nothing , but then again i don't get anal about details that are basically fodder for beuracratic blowhards

~S~

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
I have an uncle who is chief of a rural volly squad, he had applied for grants and loans to buy proper working equipment as well as PPE for all squad members. There are several "junior" members on his squad but they are used for setting up hoses, communications, etc. Occassionally they will get to do some brush fire work if there is a need for more personnel, but only if he thinks they are capable of handling it properly. But thats about it. the older certified, experienced crew members get to do alot more such as MVAs, structure fires, etc. And I can see why. There is really no sense in paying money to send someone to train and become certified if they are not capable of handling it. He wants to see if the junior members that come through really will stick with FF before he shells dept. money out to have them certified. Makes alot of sense.

Also - he expects everyone on his squad to show up in full turn-outs on every call. He tells them - especially younger members that he used dept money for the PPE and they had dang well better get used.

Because he is a poultry farmer for a living alot of times he will respond in chicken garb which is fine - who said FF was a clean job? At least he is well protected and well prepared.

-CP

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
CaptainPanic said:
Maybe I should try showing up on-scene in bright pink camo and labrador house shoes eh?

CP

I've seen worse. College graduation, MVA in front of the bar, 27 drunk, spaced out medics looking at the scene from the sidewalk in front of the theme bar. The theme was costumes, the costumes we chose were everyone come as a stripper nurse. :blush:

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
well, i can think of a few frequent flyers that'd get a kick outta a 'stripper nurse' wacker....

~St(E.O.E.)vo~

rescuecpt

TTLWHKR said:
I've seen worse. College graduation, MVA in front of the bar, 27 drunk, spaced out medics looking at the scene from the sidewalk in front of the theme bar. The theme was costumes, the costumes we chose were everyone come as a stripper nurse. :blush:

I hope none of those 27 went anywhere near the patients...