What is your most ridiculous call?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
he literally could not (or would not at least) articulate any particular reason why he decided to wait tocall 911 at 3am......
This is when I don't mind not working 24's. :D

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Resp distress patient, at 0300. I asked her when it started and she said 2. Not bad till she said the previous afternoon. I asked why she waited so long to call us. She answered "I didn't want to bother you when you were busy" Nice of her to think of us that way

Striker911

Forum Ride Along
Not our call but local. Patient presented with his unit stuck in a beer bottle. Was drunk.

Two weeks later, same patient, same circumstances.

Some people don't learn.

Allie Tee

Forum Ride Along
Got a call to the country jail. Showed up and was met by some of the sheriffs downstairs and one of the med staff. Our medic asks whats going on as we head upstairs. "He's spontaneously paraplegic." What? "He can't move and he's not responsive. We know he's not faking because we raised his arm over his head and dropped it and he slapped himself in the face." Okay... We get up to the room to find the patient lying on their bed, naked, blinking extremely fast but otherwise "unresponsive". There was probably three days of uneaten food trays next to him. Medic asks if they have been drinking or eating. "Oh yeah, he's eaten all his meals." Pointed look at the trays and cups untouched by the sink. "Okay.. What's his name?" (we'll call him Trevor) "Trevor, can you hear me? Trevor?" Sternal rub, no response. Medic goes to open his eyes and check pupils and the guy flinches and moves away. "Okay Trevor." Does a full set of vitals, the ambulance shows up, and we get ready to leave. Captain asks "Why didn't you insert an OPA? Gotta make sure that airway is patent" with a wink. I just about died laughing.

harold1981

Forum Lieutenant
We responded to a call where a man arrived at his home in the middle of the night, with both his balls hanging outside of his lacerated scrotum. His wife (deadly cold and not amused at all) states that the man had been out drinking with his friends and when he arrived, she noticed that his pants were bloodstained in his crotch. The guy plays dumb and states that ´he fell on the saddle of his bike´ and he can´t remember anything else. We never figured out what had happened, although we had our hypotheses.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Couple years back the first Coachella fest. I worked a dude thought it was a good idea to jump a chainlink fence in nothing but boxers and a button-down shirt. He got his nuts caught on the top and eviscerated them on the way down. Of course he was high as a kite, but nonetheless there were things outside that should've been inside. Pretty gnarly looking.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I know women got it rough with childbirth and all, but this is one thing they got the upper hand on....damn that's such a terrifying thought.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've actually been in a similar situation. I ended up receiving ~21 numbing shots and 7 stitches on my scrotum...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Gonna request ALS for pain management on those calls...
Trauma is BLS until it isn't ("Hey, you want an ice pack for that?" doesn't work here), I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Got sent to a local ED for a BLS discharge back to nursing home. Walk in and PT is sitting up at the edge of bed - "Want me to walk out to the truck and make it easier?

Uhhh

Partner tells RN to wait a sec...walks out to call dispatch who tells us not to take it since PT doesn't need a cot.

Same day they sent the two EMTs on a 10 day old w/ trauma

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Got sent to a local ED for a BLS discharge back to nursing home. Walk in and PT is sitting up at the edge of bed - "Want me to walk out to the truck and make it easier?

Uhhh

Partner tells RN to wait a sec...walks out to call dispatch who tells us not to take it since PT doesn't need a cot.

Same day they sent the two EMTs on a 10 day old w/ trauma

One time showed up to the hospital to transport an elderly female home. So I walk in, start getting report from the RN and realize something's not right. Pt is an elderly female (~70s), completely A&Ox4, can walk and talk, doesn't require a gurney or BLS monitoring. So, I hand her a physician certification statement (PCS) form and tell her the patient has to meet medical necessity for ambulance transport. Her response?

"Oh she doesn't. I'll only fill this out so she doesn't have to pay for the ride."

.... "That's illegal and medicare fraud..."

I call supervisor who says to take the lady home anyway. So we transported her and her six suitcases of luggage home. Fun times.

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
I had a trauma call come in a few weeks ago that stated "heavy bleeding"
Arrived to find a woman who had a bandaid on her finger because she cut her nail too far and it started minimally bleeding. She was scared if it was not treated she would "bleed to death."
Mind you, once we arrived the bleeding was already completely stopped

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Partner and I are driving back to our station after a simple ALS transfer. About half way back dispatch calls us for "seizure activity" at a nursing home we service and the SNF doc wants transferred to an outlying hospital. I jokingly tell the medic that, knowing the rep some nursing homes have, it'll be something completely different.

We get on scene, find the room. "LPN" starts giving report..."left side weakness..."

Medic: is the hemiplegia new for her?

"LPN": yea..in the last hour. O and slurred speech and a bit of facial droop.

Medic and I look at each other.

He heads in the room and starts a stroke assessment. I start calling dispatch/supervisor and let them know call just became hot mess and asking where they want us to divert to for a possible stroke alert. As I'm on hold with dispatch I hear the patient tell the medic that it feels "like the time PT had an aneurysm".

Patient and "LPN" try to insist on original destination. They get a quick lesson on "closest appropriate" as the original hospital doesn't have the same capabilities. Medic tells the "LPN" our supervisor will call shortly to discuss further.

Load PT. I start placing patches for 4 lead and getting vitals, medic attempts IV. I crawl up front and start hauling *** to the stroke center. 5-8 minutes out from the hospital I see medic start making the "go faster" motion as he asks if we can pick it up. Apparently the facial droop is worsening. "Well I'm going 85..." ... "O...OK..."

So yeah. I've read the SNF horror stories. Finally got to experience one.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Partner and I are driving back to our station after a simple ALS transfer. About half way back dispatch calls us for "seizure activity" at a nursing home we service and the SNF doc wants transferred to an outlying hospital. I jokingly tell the medic that, knowing the rep some nursing homes have, it'll be something completely different.

We get on scene, find the room. "LPN" starts giving report..."left side weakness..."

Medic: is the hemiplegia new for her?

"LPN": yea..in the last hour. O and slurred speech and a bit of facial droop.

Medic and I look at each other.

He heads in the room and starts a stroke assessment. I start calling dispatch/supervisor and let them know call just became hot mess and asking where they want us to divert to for a possible stroke alert. As I'm on hold with dispatch I hear the patient tell the medic that it feels "like the time PT had an aneurysm".

Patient and "LPN" try to insist on original destination. They get a quick lesson on "closest appropriate" as the original hospital doesn't have the same capabilities. Medic tells the "LPN" our supervisor will call shortly to discuss further.

Load PT. I start placing patches for 4 lead and getting vitals, medic attempts IV. I crawl up front and start hauling *** to the stroke center. 5-8 minutes out from the hospital I see medic start making the "go faster" motion as he asks if we can pick it up. Apparently the facial droop is worsening. "Well I'm going 85..." ... "O...OK..."

So yeah. I've read the SNF horror stories. Finally got to experience one.

I know it isn't the intent of this thread, but there is so much wrong with this. I'm not sure why this is an SNF horror story and not an unprepared/inexpereinced crew horror story. It sounds like the LPN gave all of the appropriate info to the crew, whether the dispatcher got the proper info, we will never know. I'm not sure why, once it was known that this was more likely a stroke, it turned into a hot mess. It's a stroke pt, they are pretty routine and no cause for panic, even if their symptoms are increasing. Why is your dispatcher telling you where to take the pt? Isn't that your job and your decision? The LPN might not understand the different capabilities of different hospitals, that is normal since it is not their job to know that sort of thing. As the person making the destination decision, it is your job to educate, not berate. Why are you hauling *** at 85mph, endangering yourself and everyone on the road, for a stroke in someone who is more than likely not a tPA candidate?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Poor word choice on my part then. Medic and I handled it well, didn't feel like there was panic. Communicated as we were going to the scene on roles if things were different.

I still put this back on SNF/LPN. Theres a significant difference between seizure activity and obvious stroke with a past history of an aeunurysm and patient stating that it feels exactly like the last one.

harold1981

Forum Lieutenant
Code 3, together with fire and PD to a canal for ´´a body found in the water, probably beyond resuscitation´´. There is hardly enough space for all the emergency vehicles stopping in the street as we arrive on scene. As we step out the fire captain points us to something floating lifeless under the water that looks like a human head. Fire goes in and pulls out a female store mannequin, complete with hair and clothes attached. We have the strange feeling that we´ve been pranked.