What are your protocols for DUI when off duty?

itku2er

Forum Probie
What are your agencies protcols for Off duty DUI's?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well we are to drink as heavily as we can. Then we are to drive as recklessly as possible. What do your protocols say to do when off duty?:p

Just kidding. As medical professionals and even if happy as only ambulance drivers policy should be at minimum not to drive for the service. Personally I would say they should not remain employed as they have shown disregard for the safety of the public.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Dont. It is that simple.
Many agencies (and their corresponding insurance companies) will not allow drivers with a history of DUI/OUIs to be hired, and requires them to be put on driving restriction at the least if it occurs during employment. No questions asked.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
don't get caught. They don't look favorable on it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It's a representation of being responsible. Sure, you get a DUI; your fired. I don't know of any service that insurance allows you to be remain on it ( I am sure there are some FD based ones). This also is a good representation of how mature, responsible a person you are. Do you think I would consider any promotions, or to trust you? Even off duty, you still have a stigma as those that know of you where your employed and thus represent the company all the time.

Don't you read where F/F or LEO is found convicted or Paramedic is as well. Again, the public holds us more accountable as we should be.

R/r 911

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Report stop to supervisor.
Hand in resignation.
Look for job flipping burgers.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Suspect C-Spine

ABC

Give non rebreather 15 LPMs

If BLS procedures fail, go for intubation. If conscious, call for sedation orders.

monitor vital signs every 5 minutes

start a line

give 250 ml of NS.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
My company does not have "protocols" for DUI just as it does not have protocols for armed burglary of a grocery store.

This is the most ridiculous thread ever.

Juxel

Forum Crew Member
I don't know of any service that insurance allows you to be remain on it ( I am sure there are some FD based ones).

Our insurance is point based. You get a set number of points (on-duty at fault accidents, any off-duty accident counts against you, and moving violations) for a 3 or 5 year period, I forget. We are a no-fault state so all off-duty accidents don't get the review committee and count against you.

A DUI gives you the maximum number of points minus one. So unless your record is spotless you will be fired. If you do have a spotless record, one accident (at fault on-duty or any accident off-duty or any moving violation) will result in termination.

It's possible, but your job is literally hanging by a thread. I wouldn't want to live under those conditions.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Even if the company was willing to let the individual stay, they would not be allowed to drive. NM requires an interlock installed in every vehicle that a convicted drunk driver may have access to, and no service will install one in their rigs.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Even if the company was willing to let the individual stay, they would not be allowed to drive. NM requires an interlock installed in every vehicle that a convicted drunk driver may have access to, and no service will install one in their rigs.

I dunno about other jurisdictions but fortunately for a number of people in our service actually getting convicted of a DUI in Alberta is highly improbable and nearly impossible. This essentially makes it a non-issue.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My company does not have "protocols" for DUI just as it does not have protocols for armed burglary of a grocery store.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Tell him what he's won Bob!

JPINFV

Gadfly

Sush, this is EMS. If it isn't in the cookboo... protocol, then it isn't important.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sush, this is EMS. If it isn't in the cookboo... protocol, then it isn't important.
No, if there isnt a protocol for every situation, we are told to perform a cranio-rectal inversion and wait for further orders.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
when i first started working, there was a girl i worked with that had a dui. i dont know if she got it before or after she started working there. i never even knew she had one until she got fired for other reasons. (she would go out and party night before she came to work and then be late, or hungover, or sleep.. etc) she was a paramedic. most of the time, i drove, but there were several occasions where she did drive. (but she wasnt supposed to)

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant

No in California. Only with your second DUI conviction or a BAC of .22% or more will you be required to have the IID (gnition Interlock Device ) installed. I have been doing some work with the Sheriff's Department in my area for over 5 years. Trust me a lot of my friends have gotten DUIs and have asked me alot of questions.