Want to become an EMT but have no idea where to start. help?

subsmoke

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone. My name is Chris, I'm 23 and I live in Ohio. I've thought long and hard about what I want for a career, and this is something I'm ready to commit to. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start. Could I get someone to help point me down the right track?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Try doing some research and finding where EMT classes in your area are. You won't make a very good EMT if you expect others to do your work for you.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Local community college is generally a good place to look for a course.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Google your city (or closest big city) and "EMT Class". They're usually held at community colleges.

Since we don't know where in Ohio you live, can't really narrow it down.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Since we don't know where in Ohio you live, can't really narrow it down.

Nor is it our job to do so.

I've thought long and hard about what I want for a career, and this is something I'm ready to commit to. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start.

Then you really haven't thought about it, have you? Actual "thought" requires one to look into the field, find out what they actually do day in and day out (it's probably not what you think at all) and find out how to get into the field. Watching reruns of Trauma, Emergency! and ER does not constitute "thinking" about a career field.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Nor is it our job to do so.

Then you really haven't thought about it, have you? Actual "thought" requires one to look into the field, find out what they actually do day in and day out (it's probably not what you think at all) and find out how to get into the field. Watching reruns of Trauma, Emergency! and ER does not constitute "thinking" about a career field.

But that's where all my research comes from Stephen :/

Like others have said OP, try Googling "EMT classes" in your town. You also might try checking out the community colleges near you to see if they offer any classes.

Just remember that our jobs are NOT blood, guts, and glory; they are quite the opposite. Do a little searching on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Just remember that our jobs are NOT blood, guts, and glory; they are quite the opposite. Do a little searching on that as well.

What? People don't realize that I spend generally half my shift bored out of my mind watching TV or reading? Or that not every call is a major trauma or some crazy rescue scenario?

Hehehe :rofl:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Don't mind USAF, he's old and out of touch and a little bit odd. My dad started being interested in EMS watching Emergency, for me it was Rescue 911 with William Shatner and spending time with Dad on the ambulance.

Another good place to start may be your local fire department or ambulance service. They generally hold some sort of third-ride program and can point you at classes, etc. Just show up, be professional, and ask.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't mind USAF,

I like it when stupid people discount me. It makes it all that much easier to make them look foolish later because their guard is down even more than normal

he's old and out of touch and a little bit odd.

OK, I am odd and if you think 31 is old so be it. But how precisely am I "out of touch"? Is it because I've gone round with you on previous posts and don't assume that because you have your EMT-P that you're immediately a competent provider?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like it when stupid people discount me. It makes it all that much easier to make them look foolish later because their guard is down even more than normal

OK, I am odd and if you think 31 is old so be it. But how precisely am I "out of touch"? Is it because I've gone round with you on previous posts and don't assume that because you have your EMT-P that you're immediately a competent provider?

Don't worry your pretty little head, dear. Just gum down your Apple sauce and sit quietly in the corner, you old geezer :)

But seriously you need to learn a little more than watching Trauma. And that can be done here and through Google.
Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I like how you postulate that people are stupid without a shred of evidence, nor do you have any credibility as to your own competence. Your sole function on this board seems to consist of telling new people how much EMS sucks, how we are barely functional window licking retards, and how our educations are all inferior to yours. Whenever able, you treat othef posters like dirt, criticize, and generally be that guy no one likes.

Do yourself a favor and think before you post. Sure, I need more knowledge. We all do. However, I am not stupid, and I have tact and care enough to help people who ask for it, not insult them. You should not be in this field.

Although Im not going to question your technical competence, I wouldnt trust my family to you.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
You should not be in this field.

Although Im not going to question your technical competence, I wouldnt trust my family to you.

EMS is not all fun and games and too many people seem to get into it for that reason. USAF is trying to point out that someone that wants to get in this field needs to do their own research on how to get started; being babied at this point will only make things worse as they progress. Also, some people need a kick in the pants, and his harsh attitude may be the kick they need.

As for not trusting him? Someone who has over 3000 posts has more than likely earned the trust of many people on this forum. People may not like him, but they respect what he has to say (especially when it comes to RT). You, on the other hand, have about as much credibility as a common slug.

And one last thing... I currently live with him, and he is sleeping right next to me as I type this. I would trust him with my life.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like how you postulate that people are stupid without a shred of evidence, nor do you have any credibility as to your own competence. Your sole function on this board seems to consist of telling new people how much EMS sucks, how we are barely functional window licking retards, and how our educations are all inferior to yours. Whenever able, you treat othef posters like dirt, criticize, and generally be that guy no one likes.

Do yourself a favor and think before you post. Sure, I need more knowledge. We all do. However, I am not stupid, and I have tact and care enough to help people who ask for it, not insult them. You should not be in this field.

USAF has been one of the most encouraging members on the forum, to me at least. He has had a hand in shaping me into a provider, not a whacker. His method isn't for everyone, but neither is mollycoddling.

You're being hypocritical. You have tact? Reread the quoted post. You have done exactly what you condemned him for.

Truth is if he really put a lot of thought into being an emt he would have researched it further and figured out how to do it without looking to be spoonfed.

In the words of the late great dustdevil, its not rocket surgery.
Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
RocketMedic,

Your still in the "rainbows and unicorns" stage of being a paramedic. You haven't really been around long enough to comment in the point of view USAF or many others are coming from.

One of the reasons we have the tremendous burn out and turnover the exist in the EMS world is very few people realize what's actually involved in EMS, or for that matter modern clinical medicine. You absolutely have to be able to step back from this job and say "the whole system is f@cked" and laugh, cry, cuss or do whatever makes you feel better about it.

Why do I mention this? Because in the time I've been in EMS it's usually the kids who are the most adamant about being taken seriously and everyone around them acting "professionally" every second of every day (even when out of the public eye and not with patients) who a year later are the angriest, most disillusioned individuals out there.

I have no doubt that for whatever USAF says, he will provide good, compassionate care when needed. Hell, all I ask for is technically competent care. I really don't care how big your "heart" is or how much you "care" if you kill me because you suck technically. If your rude? I'll get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Quite honestly Rocketmedic, it seems that every thread that usaf posts in, you always have to chime in and say he needs to calm down, or some variation thereof. If you have some sort of personal vendetta against him, that's fine, but no need to come into every thread he's in and attack him.

I have learned so much from reading his posts (along with posts from other members), and I give him a good amount of credit for helping to shape me into a relatively competent provider rather than me being a paramedic that's blinded by the flashing lights so to speak. Whether or not you think he lacks credibility, he's proven himself to be knowledgeable and more than competent through his posts on here, and that's good enough for me. I find it funny that you tell him to think before he posts, when many of his posts show a great deal of clinical knowledge and forethought. He may certainly come off as someone with a less than desirable attitude at times, but if you can actually show him that you know what you're talking about, and show that you're eager to learn, he'll usually be a lot more tolerable. I've had some great conversations with him, and I would trust him with my life any day.

That being said, I'm sure I'll be accused of being a usaf "groupie" and that's fine by me, because he's been supportive of me, and I'll do my best to return the favor.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That being said, I'm sure I'll be accused of being a usaf "groupie" and that's fine by me, because he's been supportive of me, and I'll do my best to return the favor.

Pulling your man card because you are a groupie.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Well, I'll give the OP credit for doing enough homework to find this forum. While state websites and Google are great places to start, they won't turn up the perspectives that threads will.

Hi everyone. My name is Chris, I'm 23 and I live in Ohio. I've thought long and hard about what I want for a career, and this is something I'm ready to commit to. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start. Could I get someone to help point me down the right track?

Aside from what they've all said about finding courses and so on, I'd recommend doing a few ridealongs. I'd also recommend seriously thinking about a few things:

-Are you in reasonably good shape, physically? EMS will require things like lifting patients, walking up several flights of stairs with gear, and performing CPR.

-Do you suffer from serious motion sickness? A few of my classmates found that they couldn't be transport EMTs because of that, though they got their certs. There are non-transport jobs out there, but they're hard to come by, and a lot of schools will have you ride ambulances during training.

-Can you adapt to constantly changing sleep cycles? Regular shifts are also hard to find.

-Can you handle the sights and smells? Not just gore, but bodily fluids.

-How about the thought of doing CPR on a baby, or an abuse victim, or someone who looks just like someone you love, and having them die? (You'll lose a lot more than you save.) How about the thought of running the same people over and over again, for conditions they could manage?

-How about being treated as a taxi by entitled people who won't be very nice to you?

-Do you have a thick skin? It's pretty hard to be sensitive and survive this culture... the bickering going on in this thread isn't even a fraction of what will get thrown at you.

If the answer to all that is yes, sign up for the class. Make plans for what will happen when you get too old, or burn out, or whatever, though. Very few people manage to stay in EMS for an entire career.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Pulling your man card because you are a groupie.

How silly of you to assume that I still have my man card after all this time :p

Anyways, to the OP, make sure to do a little more research on what it's actually like to be an EMT, whether that be online or by talking to local FD/ambulance company.