Want to become an EMT but have no idea where to start. help?

Sasha

Forum Chief
What is this? A pick on USAF thread??

Kind of crappy especially considering he was the one directly attacked... USAF's response to the OP while a little rough around the edges was NOT insulting or demeaning like multiple posts have been towards him.

Excuse me as a groupie, but I hate to see anyone ganged up on.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's why I decided to post here, thanks for understanding :)

I can answer yes to all of those except the "Are you in good shape?" question. :p I'm 5'11 and only 125 pounds, basically zero muscle tone. That's been my main worry for a while now, whether I'll be able to get into the shape I need for this job. I mean, I know it can be done but it's going to take a lot of hard work on my part.

Thanks for the answers you guys, even the negative ones. And you're right, I didn't really put THAT much thought into it but it's something I've been thinking about for months and honestly, it seems like a very fulfilling career to have. Thanks again for the help.

I'm not the strongest looking girl on the planet. I'm short which can make lifting the stretcher difficult at times, especially if we are taking it up stairs... But you learn to adapt. Even if you're a "weaker" person there are techniques to help lift.

Plus you can always hit the gym and lift some weights to build your strength. Likely you will have to pass a lift test.

Never be afraid to say "I can't do this on my own, can you come help me lift??"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In my book, referring to any of our members as "stupid" (directly or indirectly) demeans EMTLife and what we are trying to accomplish here.

More importantly, it significantly damages trust, regardless of thousands of posts and accolades from groupies and a sleeping partner. "Groupies", now there's a word that really speaks to the discernment of your followers!

If your supporters truly cared about you, they'd call you on your disrespect as well. The fact that your contributions are valuable does not grant you license to be abusive.

This is a public warning if this happens again, usafmedic, you'll be taking a vacation without the benefit of accumulating points. And don't be surprised if my interpretation of anything you say trips my hair-trigger, you set yourself up for it.

...and cudos to the OP who had the guts to come back to a place that doesn't seem particularly safe right now to allow those who understand the purpose of this site to guide him.

In all fairness I have publicly called usaf out on a few different occasions. With that said I call him my friend and learn a lot from him. More than nearly any other member on this site. There are a select few out there that have taught me a ton as well, you all know who you are.

To the OP I'm not going to reiterate advice that has already been posted. With that said, the fact that you found this site tells me that you were searching around the net, just not in the correct places. Get after it and report back.

Youngin' to youngin' take into account what everyone said about this job not being all action and gore. It really can be very boring, unless you're my partner. I have been dubbed the black cloud at work. :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Kind of crappy especially considering he was the one directly attacked... USAF's response to the OP while a little rough around the edges was NOT insulting or demeaning like multiple posts have been towards him.

Quoted for truth.

I will submit to fan status, I will not stoop to the level of groupie. :cool:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
...and cudos to the OP who had the guts to come back to a place that doesn't seem particularly safe right now to allow those who understand the purpose of this site to guide him.

Truthfully, this job requires guts to deal with people being rude, condescending and downright mean so he's on the right track.

Also, I do remember a conversation you and I had about a very rude post you posted a while back...just sayin'

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Guilty with an explanation

I get tweaked by lack of respect and usafmedic45 hit my hot button.

I have a brother, ten years older than me who is developmentally disabled and was called "stupid" throughout his life. I understand the effects of such labels.

There's no one on this site who deserves to be called that name, and when I stated this and there was rallying to the defense of usaf, well, I lost it!

I probably should have just given an infraction but I chose to go public because I couldn't go with condoning such negative word usage by anyone, nor the defense of it so yes, I became the very butthole I was ranting against!

Since you, Katgirl, rallied to usaf's defense based on him sleeping beside you and others descibed themselves as Groupies I couldn't find the justification for things like that to condone bad behavior so I lashed out.

usafmedic45 I have no problem whatsoever distinguishing your contributions from your delivery. Personally, I hope I made it clear that I'm available to both you and Kat. There is absolutely no change in that or my respect for your contributions. I will say this, however: I hope you can see the absurdity of this statement:

This is an educational forum and thus if we are unable to educate and through the use of verbal bluntness if necessary, then this is nothing other than a big ol' circle jerk just like EMTCity.

Verbal bluntness might be a tool, but show me the teacher who recieves respect that offers none to his students. My point is respect.

Regarding the Forum, however, the Be Polite Rule is something you keep stomping on and somehow get supported in. Whereas others lapse into disrespect of that rule sometimes, I experience you as putting it to the test time and time again.

Why would you choose to limit your effectiveness as a teacher? You're good, don't compromise it.

This was my way of letting everyone know how I feel about it. Maybe as a CL I'm not supposed to do this, we'll see, but, as you all know, I don't hide my humanness or inconsistencies.

My special apology to katgirl2003 with no excuses. That was a bonehead thing to do on my part.

From this point on regarding this subject, I'm available for PMs and will refrain from public chastizements in the future.

My apologies to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a brother, ten years older than me who is developmentally disabled and was called "stupid" throughout his life. I understand the effects of such labels.

I have a cousin who was literally the first person in the US to survive a hemispherectomy (yes, as in literally removing one half of the cerebrum) in order to control seizures. She's far from stupid and you think I get nasty on here? LOL Go ahead and insult her. You'll really see my hackles come up. I use the phrase stupid not necessarily to imply a lack of intelligence, since I genuinely believe that with sufficient effort anyone can be a smart and functional member of society. It is used to imply a resistance to learning or the laziness that goes there with. One of the earliest lessons I was taught as an EMT was to tolerate ignorance and to fight it whenever it rears its' ugly head but to have zero tolerance for willful ignorance, that is stupidity.

usafmedic45 I have no problem whatsoever distinguishing your contributions from your delivery. Personally, I hope I made it clear that I'm available to both you and Kat. There is absolutely no change in that or my respect for your contributions.

Likewise, I have always tended to look at you as one of the most reasonable moderators on this forum. That's part of why I was shocked and rather appalled by the post you made. I will forgive you but I will not forget what you said. The fact that you're willing to own up to overstepping your bounds, says a lot.

Regarding the Forum, however, the Be Polite Rule is something you keep stomping on and somehow get supported in. Whereas others lapse into disrespect of that rule sometimes, I experience you as putting it to the test time and time again.

What's odd is that I really do keep most of the truly offensive comments I think to myself. If I said even half of what I was thinking about a lot of the posts on here, I would not have lasted this long. The presence of Kat in my life has also served to temper my willingness to post as freely as I once did.

I will say this, however: I hope you can see the absurdity of this statement

Well, if we are to be truly tolerant to sincere ignorance, then we do risk the downward slide into that sort of abyss. I see that as the worst possible thing that could happen to this forum which is the one decent and, at times even exemplary forum for this field. Too many of us have put a lot of effort into building a community here to let it go down to those among us who seek to be the lowest common denominator.

Verbal bluntness might be a tool, but show me the teacher who recieves respect that offers none to his students. My point is respect.

As my instructors taught me, respect is earned. It's not given without consideration for the type of person to which it might be extended. This idea that students have to be treated with as much respect as the teachers are is largely what is responsible is responsible for the current state of affairs where young people first encounter failure or a true hierarchy when they hit the work force. Many of them find that they can't handle it. As was the common refrain on the pre-med forum I used to frequent, "It's better to get griped at by someone on an Internet forum than to have it done by someone who can actually hurt your career (attending, professor, supervisor, etc)". I'll try being nicer but I ask for your help in trying to get people to be smarter. I can even go looking for that spare cattle prod I keep around here for just such an emergency.