Volunteer Fire Department Runs Over Victim

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
But it wasnt a dog it was a person.
Hindsight is 20/20.

No I don't stop if I see a dead animal in the road, I also wouldn't continue on until I was
100% sure it wasnt a person.
Like was noted above, there's often various sized bits and pieces of a lot of different things on the side of the road in rural areas. On my daily routes I would have to be pretty sure it WAS a person before I'd stop rather than the other way around.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hindsight is 20/20.

Like was noted above, there's often various sized bits and pieces of a lot of different things on the side of the road in rural areas. On my daily routes I would have to be pretty sure it WAS a person before I'd stop rather than the other way around.

Agree here. The dear are overrunning our area. It is nothing to see a large carcass on the road. Sometimes you even hit it. In poor light, the flash of skin and fur can look like anything. I'd have to see clothing to want to stop, though I'd usually always try to dodge it.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Hindsight is 20/20.

So maybe it's location dependent, we don't commonly run things over, there isnt usually dead animals in various states of decomposition along our roadways, I have seen a wild deer once in my life. So if we hit something in the street chances are it's going to be a person and not wildlife.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
So maybe it's location dependent, we don't commonly run things over, there isnt usually dead animals in various states of decomposition along our roadways, I have seen a wild deer once in my life. So if we hit something in the street chances are it's going to be a person and not wildlife.

In that part of Odessa it would be either a dog or a person. Lots of people with bad habits and or bad situations in that area that do walk around the streets all hours of the night. There is lighting not great but there is lighting. Driving at a safe speed they should have been able to avoid the "large dog".

There may be more to the story.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Probably need to get out of the concrete jungle more. Wow this shocked me so much!

Goes to show that you just never know what people's life experiences are. I would never have guessed there were people who had such limited experiences with those giant rats.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Probably need to get out of the concrete jungle more. Wow this shocked me so much!

Goes to show that you just never know what people's life experiences are. I would never have guessed there were people who had such limited experiences with those giant rats.

There are deer grazing on the grass margins of the freaking toll road in Fairfax County. I couldn't believe it. I saw a dead one on the edge of the Beltway near I 66, also.

I think deer are adapting nicely to concrete jungles.:ph34r:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
There are deer grazing on the grass margins of the freaking toll road in Fairfax County. I couldn't believe it. I saw a dead one on the edge of the Beltway near I 66, also.

Giant rats. Blech.

We have bears now, too. In central VA, with Charlottesville and two interstate highways between us and the mountains.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll take deer over elk. Those things are slower and much bigger.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a deer, it's been a while. People on the outskirts hit them once in a while, but with my own two eyes it's probably been years.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hindsight is 20/20.

Especially when you look in the rearview mirror. LOL

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We have free range elk in west Texas. They do tear up cars.

Yep, seen one or two on my drives around W.TX, plus all over in W. NM

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have free range elk in west Texas. They do tear up cars.

So glad I don't have to worry about running into deer or elk here. Just people, dogs, cats, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, and other desert animals. However there is one area that we have to watch out for cows.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So glad I don't have to worry about running into deer or elk here. Just people, dogs, cats, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, and other desert animals. However there is one area that we have to watch out for cows.

Heh, W. TX IS a desert :p Deer and elk live in the desert too. Along with coyote, and wolves, and cows, and horses, and... heh. more.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

You reminded me of the goriest MVA I ever worked. Truck vs. Cow. All that steak, WASTED!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A couple years back we had a cop hit a cow while going code 3. Neither of them made it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I counted something like 20+ carcasses one fall morning on I66 between Front Royal and the Nutley St exit. Half of them were east of Manassas.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
In that part of Odessa it would be either a dog or a person. Lots of people with bad habits and or bad situations in that area that do walk around the streets all hours of the night. There is lighting not great but there is lighting. Driving at a safe speed they should have been able to avoid the "large dog".

There may be more to the story.

That's the suspicious part of the story to me. Not that they didn't stop, but that they hit them. Hitting large carcasses, be it a dog, deer, or human is hard on equipment. I don't know why you wouldn't try to avoid it. Traffic might have presented a situation where he couldn't miss it, but I've also see some jackass aim at stuff like this because it would be "funny". The other possibility is they were traveling too fast for the lighting conditions.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's the suspicious part of the story to me. Not that they didn't stop, but that they hit them. Hitting large carcasses, be it a dog, deer, or human is hard on equipment. I don't know why you wouldn't try to avoid it. Traffic might have presented a situation where he couldn't miss it, but I've also see some jackass aim at stuff like this because it would be "funny". The other possibility is they were traveling too fast for the lighting conditions.

I keep having a feeling in the back of my mind that one of the local news stations said she got hit by the FD unit second, right after she was hit by a car/truck. That might explain things a little bit. I'll look to see if I can find that.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Ummm...How in the? Never mind the fact that you live quite near to me CAO, but I know growing up in and around Chattavegas that there are plenty of deer to be seen. Not as many as living where I do now, but I know growing up I saw at least 6-7 deer a year when I was living in Red Bank.....