Venting area (Non Moderated) *Poll*

Would you like a "Venting Area" (Non-Moderated)

• YES

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • NO

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters

Hockey

Quackers
Since I brought it up in the apology post, and I personally think its a good idea and I believe a few other members do too I figure post it here.

Have a non moderated, non censored section of this site for venting, any "off color" jokes, complaints etc. EMS and Non EMS related.

Make it a section you have to request to join. Must be 18 or over. Must be a participating member of the forum. If you don't want to read it, then don't join the section.

Lets at least leave the poll up and see what other members think

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Most of the forums I've seen that have what you describe as a "venting area" don't have it completely unmoderated. Rather, they have a separate mod or two and separate rules that keep it free of illegal content and try to limit the gorespam.
spacer.gif

I suspect that the official answer is going to be that it would be incompatible with their vision of the site. And, y'know, unprofessional.

inb4 :censored:

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Most of the forums I've seen that have what you describe as a "venting area" don't have it completely unmoderated. Rather, they have a separate mod or two and separate rules that keep it free of illegal content and try to limit the gorespam.
spacer.gif

I suspect that the official answer is going to be that it would be incompatible with their vision of the site. And, y'know, unprofessional.

inb4 :censored:

True. Semi-censored can't hurt. Use common sense, but don't feel afraid of being banned unless you post something illegal or something

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't be against, it but I probably wouldn't use it much.

I'm personally very thick skinned so anything offensive probably wouldn't get to me but I know of other on here that would be offended.

We'd have to make it non-readable by the public for those casual users who stop by. Also moderation IS crucial in case someone starts threatening others or illegal stuff is posted.

Venting is something you do with friends, not really professional to put it out there for everyone. I might say something to my partners who I'm closer with or friend,s but that's because I know they keep it in confidence. By putting it out on the 'net, it kinda defeats the purpose of the confidence. Like I said, I don't get pissed very often, but when I need to vent, I might say something I don't want repeated elsewhere.

It's unprofessional to put it out there fore everyone, and just a bad idea, but if we really wanted it done, there are ways (restricting the section and moderation to a diifferent more relaxed set of rules) it might be able to be achieved.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
We could make VentMedic a moderator.

Bah-Dum-Bum

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Where's your option for 'Meh, don't care'

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
If anybody that clicked no, they are more then free to speak why not. Really only have heard the "for" people

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It doesn't really matter what we think, it's up to MMiz and the CLs. I believe it's been brought up before, and then shot down.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
If anybody that clicked no, they are more then free to speak why not. Really only have heard the "for" people

What would be the reasons for voting yes? I have not been a member of this site for very long, but in my experience the moderators do not exactly require us to blow sunshine up other members skirts. They allow debate of EMS and medically relevant topics. I have only seen them intervene when a thread turns into a personal attack.
I do not believe that a free for all "venting area" would lead to any intellectual or intriguing debate of any kind. It sounds as if the OP is asking for an area where members can go to name call and continue the behavior displayed in some of the posts that ultimately leads nowhere. Admitted the addition of such an area would have no impact in my site usage. would be interesting if one of the mods put there 2 cents in here.

allthough i do recognize that a few people post stuff here that you cant really help but say the things that you are asking for a special place to say

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
I like the idea but i think you shouldnt have to be 18. I think if you are in EMS 16 should be appropriate. I know the stuff that gets talked about at my station would probably qualify for that posting.

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
the only problem i can see that no one else mentioned is that a member who signs up can always lie about their age.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I voted no.

If this is a professional forum, I don't think that this new area is necessary.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It has been brought up before, and we've rejected it. Here's a list of a few of the reasons why (in no particular order)

1) This function is partially filled by the chat room, but that has lead to it's own set of problems. Initially, we did not moderate or even monitor the chat room, but it got to the point we had to intervene due to members discussing illegal activities and other inappropriate matters.

2) These types of "unmoderated" discussions have a way of spilling over to the main forums. Members have a tendency to take what is said in those forums personally and retaliate in the main forums.

3) It doesn't fit our vision of how we want this forum to be, appear, and feel.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
just sounds like personal vendettas will reign king. And some people who have civility and are humble will get ripped apart because they feel its not appropriate to respond in such a manner..

Sasha

Forum Chief
I think it wont open a big can of words for hurt feelings and fueds.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
They can't if the plan on licensing 16 year olds!