Training to be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED ?'s

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
2 cell phones, a fancy bag you don't need, and a $130 stethoscope you don't need... You can't afford to be an EMT.

P.S. what's that word I'm trying to think of, it starts with a W and rhymes with hacker?

You know nothing about me or my family. What I choose to do with my money is my choice. None of your business.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
2 cell phones, a fancy bag you don't need, and a $130 stethoscope you don't need... You can't afford to be an EMT.

P.S. what's that word I'm trying to think of, it starts with a W and rhymes with hacker?

That was entirely uncalled for, marineman. Didn't your mother ever say if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all?

There is a way to disagree and there is a way to be insulting. Don't do the latter, please.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Knock it off...

signadmin1.gif

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Well thanks guys, I appreciate those of you who actually answered my question. And FYI I travel 200 miles a week on the highway every weekend to and from school. First semester alone I have come across 3 accidents. So we'll see about never having to use 99% of it. But I appreciate your input anyway.

And I travel 150-300 miles per day...and have come across a couple of dozen accidents. In my experience, these people generally fall into one of three categories.

They are completely uninjured (or refuse all treatment), minor injuries (in which case you may be able to help them with your kit but they'll be just fine without it too), or the are critical (in which case the best you can do is call for help, maintain cspine/airway).

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with whackers. Looking back about 30 some odd years ago I guess I was one. Carried a big green fishing tackle box loaded with tons of medical gear. I was ready to save the world!! But, alas most of the stuff grew old and outdated from very little use and the big green box soon made it's way out of my vehicle on a permanent basis.

But what I did have, and I've seen this with many other so called whackers, is that I had a passion to help others no matter what. If it was another BS frequent flier, so what? I figure that's part of the biz and I always strive to keep a positive attitude toward my patient care. I think this helped make me a better medic.

This passion as I described seems to be missing more and more in EMS today. Many crews that I ride with constantly belly-ache about every call and behave as if their license as an EMT or medic grants them the privilege of only responding to calls that meet their approval. Anything else is beneath them.

I liked what I saw here in some of the posts. I saw some individuals show that although they may be new to EMS, they were excited to share the equipment that they proudly purchased to help others even at the risk of being dubbed a whacker. They just may turn out to be damn fine medics in their future.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
There's nothing wrong with whackers. Looking back about 30 some odd years ago I guess I was one. Carried a big green fishing tackle box loaded with tons of medical gear. I was ready to save the world!! But, alas most of the stuff grew old and outdated from very little use and the big green box soon made it's way out of my vehicle on a permanent basis.

But what I did have, and I've seen this with many other so called whackers, is that I had a passion to help others no matter what. If it was another BS frequent flier, so what? I figure that's part of the biz and I always strive to keep a positive attitude toward my patient care. I think this helped make me a better medic.

This passion as I described seems to be missing more and more in EMS today. Many crews that I ride with constantly belly-ache about every call and behave as if their license as an EMT or medic grants them the privilege of only responding to calls that meet their approval. Anything else is beneath them.

I liked what I saw here in some of the posts. I saw some individuals show that although they may be new to EMS, they were excited to share the equipment that they proudly purchased to help others even at the risk of being dubbed a whacker. They just may turn out to be damn fine medics in their future.
Thanks guys, i guess some of the posts i've seen don't represent the entire forum. I'm glad at least some people realize I really do have a desire to help people and am not just trying to impress people with fancy equipment.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
That was entirely uncalled for, marineman. Didn't your mother ever say if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all?

There is a way to disagree and there is a way to be insulting. Don't do the latter, please.
thank you bstone. I completely agree.

Vonny

Forum Crew Member
Well thanks guys, I appreciate those of you who actually answered my question. And FYI I travel 200 miles a week on the highway every weekend to and from school. First semester alone I have come across 3 accidents. So we'll see about never having to use 99% of it. But I appreciate your input anyway.

Thats right Trevor. The first time you will need something is the first time you go out without it. I carry a jump bag in the car with enough bits and bobs to handle a lot of things.

When I am not out in the car though I carry very little, a keychain mask and some small bandage type stuff depending on which jacket I have on.And always have the keys to the local AED boxes.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Trevor if you want ti carry a trauma bag in your POV then go for it. You never know where or when you might need it. With the service i'm a member of most of the other members have a trauma bag in their POV's. So buy one and put it in you car.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Thanks guys i got one for my car and I got the number of my local fire deptarments so i can work on getting my emt-b certification. Thanks for the encouragement.

mikie

Forum Lurker
am I a whacker since my new car came with a big first aid kit in the trunk? :unsure:

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I just compleated and passed my emt-b course last week, now I am just waiting for my ride a long so I can take the NREMT. I am also a medical ***. a member of my local cert team and mom of 4boys. I always carry basic stuff in my car. 4x4s, roller banages, band-aids, peroxide, wipe pads. emergency blanket, water, stuff like that. It never fails when we go anywhere one of my boys will get hurt. espechally the park or one of the other kids at the park will get an sml injury. I have come to find that there is not a lot of people prepard. When you have kids how can you not be. I think that you can be prepared and not be a whacker or whatever they are called. It is about being prepared and wanting and able to help when and where you can.

I am not saying that everyone should become an ambulance chaser, and if your not trained the only thing that should be done is a call to 911. If more people were legitamitly trained to help in emergency That would be a good thing.

mikie

Forum Lurker
... and mom of 4boys. I always carry basic stuff in my car. 4x4s, roller banages, band-aids, peroxide, wipe pads. emergency blanket, water, stuff like that. It never fails when we go anywhere one of my boys will get hurt. espechally the park or one of the other kids at the park will get an sml injury. I have come to find that there is not a lot of people prepard. When you have kids how can you not be. I think that you can be prepared and not be a whacker or whatever they are called. It is about being prepared and wanting and able to help when and where you can.

You have an exception...kids. They're probably not going to sue you if you improperly treat them. There is a difference between carrying some first aid stuff you know you're going to use for your kids. It's another thing if your pulling over at MVAs or whatever and trying to render treatment with a few band-aids.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
No I dont think so, having kids just ensures that I am a little more prepared than others. If i was driving around and came across a mvc, the first thing I would do is call for an ambulance, after that i would try and secure the scene as best as possible then triage so when help did arrive I would be able to let them know what they were looking at. I would not do anything other than what i could, If that means holding c-spine or just staying close to a pt that is scared till ems arrives. I know that I am prepared to help if needed. As long as you dont cause more harm than good you will fall under good sam.

I have training that I need and I feel that I will do what I can when I can. That is why I got the training to begin with to help people. I am not saying That I would drive around all day looking for stuff to happen but if I come across something I am not gonna just roll on by and hope someone else is gonna stop. So again no I dont think having kids is an exception to being prepared. Mostly it is common sence and compassion.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
A BLS kit like that is a bit overkill, even for a "car kit". Like other users have said, if you're not trained in it [insert device/product here] you're best off not using it.

Really, all you REALLY need are a CPR mask, gloves, basic bandages (4x4's and such), scissors, tweezers, some pins, maybe a flashlight and a small notepad/pencil, sterilizer/alcohol pads and, of course, a safety blanket.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
There seems to be this odd culture on this board of doing/having the barest of minimums and doing otherwise makes you some kind of tryhard/nerd-whacker.

Maybe you'll never "need" some of that stuff. But if you happen to get into a situation where it would have been handy to have, but the person would have lived without it, then I reckon you'd still get a nice feeling from having there.

If money isn't too much of an issue, then I don't see why it wouldn't be nice to just have it there. And as far as the stethoscope issue goes (I don't think it was really part of your question Trev, but marineman mentioned it and my sentiments can be generalised to more than stethoscopes), the better the stethoscope, the more likely you are to hear things that matter and that aren't background noise (shocking I know). If you asked a builder about his drill, I bet not too many buy a $20 set from K-Mart. It's a tool of your trade that you use almost everyday, and if you take pride in doing what you do well, then you should have good quality equipment to do it with, I reckon. I know that you don't "need" a master cardiology to take blood pressure, but if someone wants to have one for the odd occasion when it may come in handy, then good on them. I don't know why some of the people on this bored walk around with a scope made by matel and think they are somehow cooler for it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
There seems to be this odd culture on this board of doing/having the barest of minimums and doing otherwise makes you some kind of tryhard/nerd-whacker.

Maybe you'll never "need" some of that stuff. But if you happen to get into a situation where it would have been handy to have, but the person would have lived without it, then I reckon you'd still get a nice feeling from having there.

If money isn't too much of an issue, then I don't see why it wouldn't be nice to just have it there. And as far as the stethoscope issue goes (I don't think it was really part of your question Trev, but marineman mentioned it and my sentiments can be generalised to more than stethoscopes), the better the stethoscope, the more likely you are to hear things that matter and that aren't background noise (shocking I know). If you asked a builder about his drill, I bet not too many buy a $20 set from K-Mart. It's a tool of your trade that you use almost everyday, and if you take pride in doing what you do well, then you should have good quality equipment to do it with, I reckon. I know that you don't "need" a master cardiology to take blood pressure, but if someone wants to have one for the odd occasion when it may come in handy, then good on them. I don't know why some of the people on this bored walk around with a scope made by matel and think they are somehow cooler for it.

It would appear that way, yes.

However, you all do it a little differently "down south". In the USA, many off-duty EMT's elect to have their own equipment to use. The problem lies in that most have no medical direction in their off duty time, have no duty to act, and usually are not protected under their departments insurance policy should an issue arise. Then there is also the view of immediate need. Is that EMT a help or a hinderance?

My personal view on this topic is that when I am off duty, I am off duty and will not stop. I have a cell phone and will use it as needed. I will not pull off on the side of some road when my kids are with me to potentially get run over, shot at, or injured in some other fashion. My area has fantastic EMS and they are well capable of handling things without my assistance.

Also, as a veteran professional, I see compensation as another factor. If I provide medical care, I expect to be compensated for it. My knowledge and expertise in this field is not free.

Now don't get me wrong, I will volunteer for some fundraiser's and community cause's, but I'm not risking myself, my career, or my family's livelihood for someone elses emergency that I am not obligated to address. Therefore, I carry no other equipment than what I would need for me and my family.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Wow...Your a whack job. You bought a HUGE go bag, similar to the bag we use on the ambo and you only have 12 hrs of basic first aid and cpr training. Whats next, lights and some o2? Just buy a 10 dollar first aid kit all wallmart. Your not even a first responder. What if you dont pass emt? You will probably never come about a serious incident in your car, and if you do, you can call 911. If you really want to have some ems stuff in your first aid kit, get some abd's, gloves, and pen and paper. You just wasted $260!

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Just an update I do keep the kit in the "trunk" of my jeep. I have used it numerous times. I have replaced a lot of the stuff that has been used up or not used with stuff I use more often.

Excellent for when out with friends and family with minor injuries. Also help take care of my elderly grandmother and the bp and steth come in handy with her hx of HTN.

Also you'd be surprised how many non medical uses there are for medical supplies. ^_^