Training to be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED ?'s

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Ok I am a college student. I am currently premed. I am taking a course which will certify me in the above following. I am thinking of taking a EMT-B if I can find one this summer then volunteering at my local FD. I have a legal sort of question. The class covers emergencies in depth. Since I am planning on becoming EMT-B and I want to be prepared for emergencies, I ordered a Trauma kit from Gall's http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TK085

I just wanted to know if there is anything in that kit that I cannot use assuming I am certified in the above. I just don't want to use a bag mask or a neck brace if that is out of the scope of practice for the certifications I have. I went with one of the complete kits so if/when I become EMT-B I'll have a kit in my car to be able to help. I figured it was good to have since first aid/cpr skills are good to have but if you don't have the equipment with you it isn't much good.

Help is appreciated.

PS I was certified in CPR before and First AID but never recertified. We have learned about the reasonable man test and I just dont want to be found negligent if I use any items in that kit if/when there is an emergency requiring attention.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Trevor, you'll find most EMTs here don't carry much on them. I used to carry a BP, steth and some 4x4s in my car but the BP and steth have gone missing. I always carry a CPR mask on my keychain as I have little desire to to mouth to mouth without protection. However the Galls bag is meant for professional use in an ambulance or some sort of on-call situation. I'd personally suggest you not go with that bag but rather something much more basic.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you weren't specifically trained on it's use, don't use it.

Basically, any medications;
1 Ipecac Syrup
1 Charcoal
1 Ammonia Inhalant
1 Insta-Glucose

As each drug has specific indications and contraindications, uses, and other attributes. You don't know the 5 rights yet, let alone when to use each drug properly.

I don't know if they told you how to use the OPA's or NPA's in your classes, and while not hard, is better to not use without the knowledge, like never use an NPA on someone with facial trauma.

A pack I was thinking about making would be the basics--- pocket mask, some 4x4s, maybe an abd pad, gloves of various sizes, my steth and shears, a couple curvattes, and some kerlix. That would handle the majority of the things you'll come across that you can actually help with before a fully stocked ambulance arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
If you weren't specifically trained on it's use, don't use it.

And here ladies and gentlemen is the best piece of advice of the century!

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Plastic bags highly recommended!

Yeah I'd save your money, especially if you're heading for med school. A bag is a bag is a bag! Highly recommend for private use is the super market brand plastic bag. Maybe even double bagged! No need to look professional (unless you're lookin to impress some drunk college girl in crisis :p).

Like Linuss said, all ya really might need/ever use will be the gloves, pocket mask, bandages, cravat and some kling. If ya really want to go all out throw in a BP cuff.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am always looking to impress drunk college girls. I don't need a crisis.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Well thanks guys, I appreciate those of you who actually answered my question. And FYI I travel 200 miles a week on the highway every weekend to and from school. First semester alone I have come across 3 accidents. So we'll see about never having to use 99% of it. But I appreciate your input anyway.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
:headdesk: ?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Trevor, most of those things will be of no use as your first job when arriving on scene is to call 911, your next job is to take C-spine. Since clearing C-spine is definitely not something you're trained in, you take it and don't let go until the ambulance gets there. Only reason you give up on C-spine is if they're dead and you have to do CPR all alone.

P.S. check your state Good Samaritan law. You are not technically certified in anything and you don't have a duty to respond so you have a lot more wiggle room within the law as far as what you can do.

Just remember as long as you don't make them any worse, you will be fine.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
By the way here is some information on the course I am taking:
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Acquire and develop the skills and competencies needed for First Responder Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid and Safety from the American Red Cross and/or National Safety Council.
2. Understand the role of the Emergency Medical System (EMS) and the importance of emergency care.
3. Recognize and evaluate a diverse set of emergency medical situations.
4. Utilize primary and secondary assessment skills to determine alterations in specific body systems.
5. Initiate appropriate first aid sequences for each emergency situation.
6. Incorporate knowledge of disease transmission and scene safety when providing emergency care.
7. Identify and understand the legal implications of providing care under the Good Samaritan Act.

Syllabus:
COURSE SCHEDULE AND TOPICS
(Schedule is subject to change)
Assignments/
Dates Course Schedule Readings
Week # 1
Jan 12,14,16
Introduction/Course Outline
Course Expectations
Introduction to First Aid Chapter 1
Anatomy and Physiology of Body Systems Chapter 2

Week # 2
Jan 21, 23
Victim Assessment Chapter 3
Artificial Ventilations/Obstructed Airway Chapter 4
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) & AED Chapter 5
**Demonstration/practice Artificial Ventilations/Obstructed Airway

Week # 3
Jan 26,28,30
Bleeding and Shock Chapter 6
Soft-Tissue Injuries Chapter 7
Injuries to the Face, Eye, and Throat Chapter 8
**Review/Practice CPR

Week # 4
Feb 2,4,6
Injuries to the Chest, Abdomen & Genitalia Chapter 9
Dressing & Bandaging Chapter 10

**Demonstration on Bandaging Techniques

Week # 5
Feb 9,11,13
Feb 9 Musculoskeletal Injuries Chapter 10
Common Sport and Recreational Injuries Chapter 12
Head and Spine Injuries Chapter 13

Week # 6
Feb 16,18,20
Poisoning Emergencies Chapter 14
Drug and Alcohol Related Emergencies Chapter 15
REVIEW FOR MID-TERM

**Review/Practice CPR and Bandaging Skills

Week # 7
Feb 23, 25, 27
MID-TERM EXAM Chapters 1-15
Cardiovascular and Stroke Emergencies Chapter 16
Respiratory Emergencies Chapter 17
Diabetic Emergencies Chapter 18

Week # 8
Mar 2,4,6 Acute Abdominal Distress Chapter 19
Epilepsy, Dizziness, and Fainting Chapter 20

**Review/Practice CPR skills

MARCH 9-13 ***SPRING BREAK** NO CLASSES

Week # 9
Mar 16,18,20
Emergency Childbirth Chapter 21
Geriatric Emergencies Chapter 22
Bites and Stings Chapter 23

**Review/Practice CPR Skills

Week # 10
Mar 23,25,27
Burn Emergencies Chapter 24
Heat and Cold Emergencies Chapter 25
Water Emergencies Chapter 26

**AMERICAN RED CROSS WRITTEN EXAMS

Week # 11
Mar 30
Apr 1,3
Wilderness Emergencies Chapter 27
Psychological and Disaster Emergencies Chapter 28

Week # 12
Apr 6,8,10
Lifting and Moving Victims Chapter 29
Vehicle and Victim Stabilization Chapter 30

**Review/Practice CPR,AED, Bandaging Skills

Week # 13
Apr 13.15.17
Review/Practice for Skills Practical Exam

Week # 14
Apr 20,22,24
Apr 20 NO CLASS

Apr 24 FINAL WRITTEN EXAM Chapters 16-30

Week # 15
Apr 27,29
May 1
Skill Presentations

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Trevor, I've done that course, WAY back in 2001. You will not be able to legally use 99% of the stuff in your bag. Sure, you can use a BVM on a patient that's not breathing... You could even put a c-collar on someone post MVC, but, once you take that class, you'll find out, that you by yourself won't be able to do much, even with your bag. And, yes, I've done similar drives, in even more desolate areas, still, the only thing I carry regularly is my cellphone, and maybe a box of gloves, if I'm in my car, I've got a scope, just because it lives in my work backpack, which lives in either my car or my rig. Off duty, the best thing I can do for any patients I come across is get them the transport they need.

You will be MUCH better off once you internalize this. Take it from someone with experience.

motownems

Forum Probie
I am not sure about the legality part, however other than that I completely agree with Sapphyre. Some 4x4, kling, gloves, packet mask, and a cell phone or you could kick it old school and put a CB in your vehicle :D . I don’t remember who said that thing about having to take C-spine, but that is 100% true.

mikie

Forum Lurker
The Ultimate WhackPack!

I don't even think our bags are this stocked!

342670.jpg

Source

Hockey

Quackers
Well thanks guys, I appreciate those of you who actually answered my question. And FYI I travel 200 miles a week on the highway every weekend to and from school. First semester alone I have come across 3 accidents. So we'll see about never having to use 99% of it. But I appreciate your input anyway.

Do you have a cell phone? Thats all you need. I'm a newish EMT and I think the cell phone is the best thing you can have as an EMT/Civie

And how many of these 3 accidents were there no responders already on? So are you going to stop at an accident that already has an ambulance?

Don't forget, if you stop on any road, you need a high visibility vest. If you don't have it, and have it on properly, just remember, your in violation of FEDERAL LAW

I'm not trying to tell you to not help someone who needs help. But I'm trying to save you $$ since you won't (I'll say it again) use 99% of that stuff in the bag.

Seriously, we know you want to help and "be prepared", but honestly, its useless to have all that junk.

Oh well...we tried...

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Do you have a cell phone? Thats all you need. I'm a newish EMT and I think the cell phone is the best thing you can have as an EMT/Civie

And how many of these 3 accidents were there no responders already on? So are you going to stop at an accident that already has an ambulance?

Don't forget, if you stop on any road, you need a high visibility vest. If you don't have it, and have it on properly, just remember, your in violation of FEDERAL LAW

I'm not trying to tell you to not help someone who needs help. But I'm trying to save you $$ since you won't (I'll say it again) use 99% of that stuff in the bag.

Seriously, we know you want to help and "be prepared", but honestly, its useless to have all that junk.

Oh well...we tried...

yes i do already have a high visibility orange vest as part of the roadside kit i keep my car. Along with tow cables, flares, jumper cables, emergency blankets, road triangles, flashlights, etc.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain

Oh well...we tried...

and yes i actually have two cell phones, one is for emergencies related to disabled family members that wear life pendants. If they are activated my second phone esentially acts as a pager. They push the button life alert activates ems and notifies me on my emergency phone.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
and yes i actually have two cell phones, one is for emergencies related to disabled family members that wear life pendants. If they are activated my second phone esentially acts as a pager. They push the button life alert activates ems and notifies me on my emergency phone.

Which is pointless because life alert can simply call your one cell phone. If they have the wrong number, all you do is press the call button on the life-alert station and then when the life alert dispatcher comes on, give them the safety code, and have them switch the numbers.

OP
OP
trevor1189

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Which is pointless because life alert can simply call your one cell phone. If they have the wrong number, all you do is press the call button on the life-alert station and then when the life alert dispatcher comes on, give them the safety code, and have them switch the numbers.

because my first phone is an iphone and i don't leave it on loud because i get texts in the middle of the night. The emergency phone is on loud with an annoying beeping tone which wakes me up in the middle of the night.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
2 cell phones, a fancy bag you don't need, and a $130 stethoscope you don't need... You can't afford to be an EMT.

P.S. what's that word I'm trying to think of, it starts with a W and rhymes with hacker?