Third week in EMT School...HELP...

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
If you read the question and an answer pops into your head before you read the options, and your answer is an option. Choose it.

Usually 2 answers make no sense and 2 are close. Always choose the MOST appropriate one. If the question is about what would you do next, the answers is most likely ABC's.

Take your time, learn how your tests are written, answer wisely.

Or to put it another way, which answer would take longer to kill a patient?

sop

Forum Lieutenant
It is a mind thing. You have to learn how to not have an one-sided mind. Look at all things from different angles.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
This was the example given to me once about the different between a EMT/Paramedic test and a regular school test

In School, k-12 and "regular" college classes we are taught that if the teacher teaches us the 2+2 is 4, then we know the test will read something like:

T/F is 2+2 =4

What does 2+2 =
A.4
B.3
C.2

In emt/paramedic the question will read

If you arrive on scene and find two apples laying on the floor along with 5 oranges and a patient. The patient informs you that he has the sqrt of 144 carrots and the product of twleve and one pears in his pocket. You need the total amount of fruit. His BP is 130/80 RR 12 and Pulse 120. The patient says he feels like throwing up, you turn to your partner and say:

A.Start a line & get a toss bag
B. provide IV, O2 transport
C. 19
D. get a d stick, O2, call for police assistance, and put on a mask.

The answer is C, remember EMS is wading through the bull, to use the skills you have, with the information you just received

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
If you arrive on scene and find two apples laying on the floor along with 5 oranges and a patient. The patient informs you that he has the sqrt of 144 carrots and the product of twleve and one pears in his pocket. You need the total amount of fruit. His BP is 130/80 RR 12 and Pulse 120. The patient says he feels like throwing up, you turn to your partner and say:

A.Start a line & get a toss bag
B. provide IV, O2 transport
C. 19
D. get a d stick, O2, call for police assistance, and put on a mask.

The answer is C, remember EMS is wading through the bull, to use the skills you have, with the information you just received

My wife reckons there should be an option E...all of the above

nemedic

Forum Captain
I'd go with option "E"-19, making sure that you are not directly in front of the pt, preferably a 45 degree angle or more. Also consider sendign the pt on a "3 day tour"

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
lol
I also thought the question was missing the obvious answer, Why does a patient have 12 carrots in his pocket, and where are we going for lunch? lol

nemedic

Forum Captain
Considering the "interesting" mental status of the guy with 12 carrots in his pocket, I'm gonna guess "just because" as the answer. Then Somehow, he will drop 1 or 2 of them, trip on said dropped carrot(s), and there will be 1 or 2 more that are lost to everything but some radiographic imaging of the abdominal/pelvic region

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Do you think you could possibly be over analyzing the questions? I'm also using the Brady book and I know that the first few chapters are the intro, legal stuff but when it comes to the scenario based pt questions, don't over think them. If there's an answer that covers the ABC's then 9 times out of 10 thats the correct one. :) Good luck!

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
Three things: 1. I'm not a paramedic. I'm a flight respiratory therapist.
2. I don't think I'm God. Far from it. In fact, I've been an atheist most of my life.
3. Remember, you're a student. Even the qualified basics here are above you so you should speak with some respect to everyone you interact with, even if you disagree with their assessment of your situation.

Actually, I have not noticed any hesitance. We get plenty of basic questions about training and education.

You mean as an instructor? I'm just making the observation that students who are struggling that early in the class tend not to pass or if they do, they struggle in the clinical portion of the course. It's not about ego. It's simply a matter of something myself and my fellow students and instructors noted. It might not be as comforting as someone telling you that "it'll be OK!" which is the norm for kids raised over the past 20 or so years due to helicopter parenting and other softening in child rearing but the best predictor of future performance is what someone has done in the past. You have your own experience to rely upon but as someone who has been a classroom instructor for about 900 students (not counting the ones I teach at conferences) and have clinically precepted something like 1500 students in several medical career fields (EMS, echocardiography, respiratory therapy) , it has been my experience that students who struggle with something as simplistic as the first few chapters of the basic EMT text are at a very high risk of not passing. Hopefully you'll be an exception to this.

No offense intended, but I just don't believe that it's a good practice to sugarcoat things.

You are not providing any help to this thread...and promoting negative discouragement...your 2 cents will be best used for a piece of bubble gum.

And to the OP for brady I found if you register the book online and do the test's until u get them 100% then do the workbook and the ones you got wrong refer to the page and reread it till your eyes bleed....don't let anyone bring you down :)

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You are not providing any help to this thread...and promoting negative discouragement...your 2 cents will be best used for a piece of bubble gum.

Its funny you should say that since the OP actually messaged me and said he didn't have a problem with me being blunt and offering to help once the situation was clarified.

don't let anyone bring you down
"It never rains in Southern California...."

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
Its funny you should say that since the OP actually messaged me and said he didn't have a problem with me being blunt and offering to help once the situation was clarified.

"It never rains in Southern California...."

Anyways.....forum trolls will be forum trolls.....

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief