Third week in EMT School...HELP...

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
Frustrated as hell.....Read my *** off, did every text book and workbook test over and over again... Took chapters 1-6 and 11 online test with the My Brady Kit online tests over and over again. The book we are using is The Brady Pre-Hospital Emergency Care 9th Edition by Mistovich and Karren. Just took our firt test and made a 75%..... I needed an 80% to pass the test. Every question on the test was completely different than anything we studied (What's up with that). I am at Valencia Community College and was wondering if anyone knew of any online sites that were good preps for chapter tests. Some of the iphone apps I downloaded were :censored::censored::censored::censored: and I can't find any good sites with chapter test preps for the edition we are using...........
Thanks

twnshpfireman3417

Forum Probie
Have you tried talking to the teacher, even though you think every question is differnet then what you study, what is most likely happing is the teacher is stating the question in away you haven't thought about it. I know my first test in emt and paramedic i did poorly on till i learned the way the teacher writes his questions. Talk to the teacher and see if he can't help you figure out a better way to study.

OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info..... I have a meeting with the instructor on Tuesday....
I will try EMT-b.com.....
Thanks again

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
You are not alone.

The problem isn't likely with having different questions. Typically the problem is the wording.

EMS tests are a different breed. You have to pay attention to the wording, which of these "is" vs "is not" is a stopping point.

When the question is asking how would you handle x situation. Get out of your head and think about what the book would say is the right answer.

If you read the question and an answer pops into your head before you read the options, and your answer is an option. Choose it.

Usually 2 answers make no sense and 2 are close. Always choose the MOST appropriate one. If the question is about what would you do next, the answers is most likely ABC's.

Take your time, learn how your tests are written, answer wisely.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I always felt that if I overnight the question I would get it wrong. Remember these are standardized tests, not much critical thinking or problem solving required. Read the question twice, then consider each answer, even of A seems like the right one, read B C and D, then read the question again. Don't overthink it, pick the MOST CORRECT and move on.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Frustrated as hell.....Read my *** off, did every text book and workbook test over and over again... Took chapters 1-6 and 11 online test with the My Brady Kit online tests over and over again. The book we are using is The Brady Pre-Hospital Emergency Care 9th Edition by Mistovich and Karren. Just took our firt test and made a 75%..... I needed an 80% to pass the test. Every question on the test was completely different than anything we studied (What's up with that). I am at Valencia Community College and was wondering if anyone knew of any online sites that were good preps for chapter tests. Some of the iphone apps I downloaded were :censored::censored::censored::censored: and I can't find any good sites with chapter test preps for the edition we are using...........
Thanks
I'll go ahead and make the point everyone else is tiptoeing around here: Maybe you're just not cut out for EMS.

OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
Three weeks in and one test and that's your conclusion????
Get real dude...... I'm quite sure throughout your career you've had questions and concerns relating to your training....

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks

The same thing happened to me when I started college. I had to learn how each professor 'tested' and how they wrote their questions to know how to study for them. My A & P I and II professor liked to disarticulate structures from a model, turn them in all manner of directions, then ask you to identify not only the structure, but the type of tissue (where applicable)... needless to say, it was a nightmare, but I learned a lot, and eventually, after having bombed the first test (60), I finally got down his testing method and made it through... Now I am a graduate teaching assistant of the same course and loving it.

Hang in there, it will be worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll go ahead and make the point everyone else is tiptoeing around here: Maybe you're just not cut out for EMS.

I don't think that is the case at all.

OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
Thanks medic Rob....... I am in A & P 1 now and doing good (thank god)..... Reading your post helps..... Thanks for your information as it is much appreciated......

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
With responses like USAFMedic45 better known as Medic (GOD)

Three things: 1. I'm not a paramedic. I'm a flight respiratory therapist.
2. I don't think I'm God. Far from it. In fact, I've been an atheist most of my life.
3. Remember, you're a student. Even the qualified basics here are above you so you should speak with some respect to everyone you interact with, even if you disagree with their assessment of your situation.

It's no wonder students are apprehensive about posting newbie questions on education and training

Actually, I have not noticed any hesitance. We get plenty of basic questions about training and education.

Remember where you came from ego maniac...

You mean as an instructor? I'm just making the observation that students who are struggling that early in the class tend not to pass or if they do, they struggle in the clinical portion of the course. It's not about ego. It's simply a matter of something myself and my fellow students and instructors noted. It might not be as comforting as someone telling you that "it'll be OK!" which is the norm for kids raised over the past 20 or so years due to helicopter parenting and other softening in child rearing but the best predictor of future performance is what someone has done in the past. You have your own experience to rely upon but as someone who has been a classroom instructor for about 900 students (not counting the ones I teach at conferences) and have clinically precepted something like 1500 students in several medical career fields (EMS, echocardiography, respiratory therapy) , it has been my experience that students who struggle with something as simplistic as the first few chapters of the basic EMT text are at a very high risk of not passing. Hopefully you'll be an exception to this.

No offense intended, but I just don't believe that it's a good practice to sugarcoat things.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks

What were chapters 1-6 on? My guess from my days in EMT school would be, "Medico-legal topics such as HIPAA compliance, duty to act, what constitutes negligence, scope of practice, etc.", Am I correct in this assumption?

OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
usafmedic45

I understand statistically where you are coming from. With that being said I am in my late thirties and a far cry from some of the little 20 year olds in my class that sleep during lectures. I already have 17 years of vested service in the Government in environmental engineering and decided to make a change in my career before I got too old. I should have worded my initial post a little different at first however I did not know what to expect. Anyways my study and test taking skills have always proved successful so you can imagine the huge blow to the ego when I didn’t make an 80 on my first EMT test.
Do I think it is the end of the world???? NO…. I just need to figure out how EMS testing differs from other studies. I know the information on the first three weeks extremely well and care deeply about succeeding. My post was mainly directed towards learning test taking techniques within the EMS community as it has been years since I have taken tests.

OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
What were chapters 1-6 on? My guess from my days in EMT school would be, "Medico-legal topics such as HIPAA compliance, duty to act, what constitutes negligence, scope of practice, etc.", Am I correct in this assumption?
Hey Rob,
You are correct... There were a few more including vitals and critical thinking.... I know the information extremely well..... It appears many individuals go through this at first as I have been reading. Knowing the information extremely well is one thing.....Interpreting it through multiple choice is another..

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Rob,
You are correct... There were a few more including vitals and critical thinking.... I know the information extremely well..... It appears many individuals go through this at first as I have been reading. Knowing the information extremely well is one thing.....Interpreting it through multiple choice is another..

Send me a PM, I will help you.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
With that being said I am in my late thirties and a far cry from some of the little 20 year olds in my class that sleep during lectures. I already have 17 years of vested service in the Government in environmental engineering and decided to make a change in my career before I got too old. I should have worded my initial post a little different at first however I did not know what to expect.

That does change things a little. Most of these sorts of posts come from folks straight out of high school (or still in high school). My apologies for making that assumption about you.

Anyways my study and test taking skills have always proved successful so you can imagine the huge blow to the ego when I didn’t make an 80 on my first EMT test.

Gotcha.

NO…. I just need to figure out how EMS testing differs from other studies.

I have honestly not noticed any significant differences. However, if I can help you in any other way, just ask. I may be a pessimist but I do try to be helpful when I can.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Thanks

This may sound smart, but it is not intended to be.

Do you know how to study? (I have found many people who come to EMS do not)

First, read the text for the big picture. After you understand it, then go back for the details.

You cannot memorize medicine. It is too large. You must understand concepts. Many students I have seen have never taken a class out of highschool before. Sometimes you must consult other published sources and the teachers don't just tell you the answers on the test.

Don't skip over things thinking you know them. You don't. I made that mistake many times myself and always paid dearly for it in lost time going back over what I thought I knew several times trying to unlearn what I thought was right and learn what really is.

Learn one, do one, teach one. After you learn something, explain it to somebody else. Significant others, younger or older family members, etc. If you can explain it and answer questions about it, you know it. If you can only identify buzzwords when you see them, you do not.

Reading...

Do not try to power through 100 pages because you can. When you read something, take a minute or so to think about what it is you read. How does it fit into what you know already? How does it connect with other facts in the chapter.

Test taking.

When taking a test, take your time. Read the question. Decide what it is asking. Then look at the answers... All of them.

Medical tests, especially the higher you go like to ask what is "more correct."
Take some time, think about usually the 2 or 3 distractors that could all be the right answer. Don't pick the first answer that looks right.

Read the question and answer you chose as a sentence. Does it sound right? If it doesn't, then it is probably not the answer.

Beware "what comes next" which means something which is usually a distractor is already done.

Do the questions you know first. Then come back for the ones that you are going to think about.

Don't worry about how many you need to get right. Make sure you get the question you are working on right.

Instructors:

Some are great. Some suck. Some know how to write a test. Some do not. In academia 75% of the class should fall into the passing range. If they don't. The problem is not the student.

Many EMS instructors have never had any formal teaching training or academic experience. Don't be taken in by war stories and think that is a good teacher. If you teacher is poor, you have to make up for it by studying extra.

What next?

Go over your test, see what you got wrong and why.

Any teacher not willing to let you see your mistakes is a fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
S

sdw500

Forum Ride Along
VENEFICUS.........

GREAT.......GREAT........GREAT..... POST

After lookng back at all of your recommendations I clearly see I was doing the opposite and my study techniques are not where they should be....

Thanks again