the 100% directionless thread

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
What’s wrong with cargo shorts?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Speaking of dad wear. We're have a dad party in 2 weeks.

Got my Jean shorts, crew socks,and sandals. It made me feel good that I had to order everything (except the leash thingy for sunglasses, but that's just handy).

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The longer I'm in EMS the less I feel inclined to tell anyone what I do at all. I just want to smile and nod at the thoughts they have and go "yep, you betcha"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
044662E6-FF63-478E-870C-344ED9D9C505.jpeg
Not a dad but you know I keep that croakie thang on me.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just a couple of pictures I’d put up from our last of the move-in boxes I said. 3 hours later, here we are...long overdue.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatch: *sends an Engine to an Urgent Care for a routine medical*

Us (not on the call): Why do they do that? Aren't we a lower care than UC? What are gonna do that they can't?

Oh well, at least we're not quite like LA where anytime an ambulance goes, an engine automatically goes as well, everytime, we're not quite that bad haha

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Urgent cares have interesting rules. I went to one of our local UCs for a kid in SVT. The PA was pooping russet potatoes because he thought the kid was gonna die. I asked if they did anything. “Nope. Just called you. We’re not allowed to do anything. The risk management people have clearly stated that we can’t do anything cardiac”.

I started a line and let the PA push the adenosine. He’s never done it before. He thought the entire process was pretty cool and he asked if he could have a copy of the strip, just like a new paramedic student.

I take lots of STEMIs, strokes, amputated fingers and jammed up breathers out of the UCs in my area. I never walk in with less than my full set of ALS gear (including suction!) because I can never believe what they tell the dispatcher.
A few weeks ago, “84 year old with slight shortness of breath”. Walked In to find an unresponsive agonal that got tubed before we left.

I am not impressed with Urgent Cares. At all.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh I get calling the ambulance.. but the BLS only fire... like we can take vitals and administer O2 and get a history and all that... which would be criminally negligent if an Urgent Care can't do that basics lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Oh I get calling the ambulance.. but the BLS only fire... like we can take vitals and administer O2 and get a history and all that... which would be criminally negligent if an Urgent Care can't do that basics lol

Maybe the ambulance had an extended response time?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Urgent cares have interesting rules. I went to one of our local UCs for a kid in SVT. The PA was pooping russet potatoes because he thought the kid was gonna die. I asked if they did anything. “Nope. Just called you. We’re not allowed to do anything. The risk management people have clearly stated that we can’t do anything cardiac”.

I started a line and let the PA push the adenosine. He’s never done it before. He thought the entire process was pretty cool and he asked if he could have a copy of the strip, just like a new paramedic student.

I take lots of STEMIs, strokes, amputated fingers and jammed up breathers out of the UCs in my area. I never walk in with less than my full set of ALS gear (including suction!) because I can never believe what they tell the dispatcher.
A few weeks ago, “84 year old with slight shortness of breath”. Walked In to find an unresponsive agonal that got tubed before we left.

I am not impressed with Urgent Cares. At all.
I havent had anything that extreme. Sending out the kids high on weed? Sure. Surprise agonal grandmother? Not at an UC at least...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I havent had anything that extreme. Sending out the kids high on weed? Sure. Surprise agonal grandmother? Not at an UC at least...
We routinely got sent to UC for dispatched simple calls that turned into things like calling the helo. Then again, a lot of our Hispanic population preferred to go to the UC instead of the hospital for anything short of gunshot wounds.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
We routinely got sent to UC for dispatched simple calls that turned into things like calling the helo. Then again, a lot of our Hispanic population preferred to go to the UC instead of the hospital for anything short of gunshot wounds.
My Hispanic side of the family has genetic White Coat Syndrome. They don't go until they code.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've been reading this TPATC (transport professional advanced trauma course) book. It's painfully dry to read. I feel like the first half of the book isn't even specifically trauma.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I've been reading this TPATC (transport professional advanced trauma course) book. It's painfully dry to read. I feel like the first half of the book isn't even specifically trauma.
(awaits a full assault...)

What did you expect? It’s written by a bunch of nurses.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I enjoyed the practical portion of TPATC.

And if you think that is dry. Try reading the critical care core curriculum book they publish to study for the FP-C / CFRN test.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
On the subject of dry reading, I attempted to read the transcripts of the McCarthy hearings for a paper in high school. I fell asleep before I got through the first few pages.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
All kidding aside, TPATC has its value, even for paramedics.

It’s a more analytical approach to the transport of trauma patients. Something I’d say most paramedics are not taught.

I found the ASTNA book to be similar. I read the book about a year or two ago and found it interesting to see how nurses are taught to approach out-of-hospital care.

It is definitely meant to compliment their paramedic partner.