the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well the online pre-course and written test is done for my TPATC class. Now to wait till next week for a two day skills lab!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Just spent about 3 hours piecing together information for some of the training stuff I've been given the greenlight to put together. I think that's enough for tonight.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Ugh I think I screwed up my back a couple shifts ago lifting someone heavy on an emergent patient. It’s slowly gotten worse so now I have to see what I can do.

Make 110% sure you fill out an injury report, even if you don’t think you’re going to need a claim. File it away. I pressed on after pulling my back at work, never made an issue about it, and a few employers later it has never been the same and I have no real course of action if I needed it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Make 110% sure you fill out an injury report, even if you don’t think you’re going to need a claim. File it away. I pressed on after pulling my back at work, never made an issue about it, and a few employers later it has never been the same and I have no real course of action if I needed it.
That got done the morning after the call. I had made a comment that my back felt like it was on fire on the call, and my supervisor met me at our station with paperwork before I went home. He kinda lectured me about trying to not report it lol

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That got done the morning after the call. I had made a comment that my back felt like it was on fire on the call, and my supervisor met me at our station with paperwork before I went home. He kinda lectured me about trying to not report it lol
Sounds like you've got yourself a reasonably decent supervisor...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
7820B109-467D-4794-8394-8BDA771B78CB.jpeg

When you traverse through your coverage area by car and realize the value of auto launch areas in parts of rural America...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Is that Cesar Chavez?
James Dean. The actual crash site is listed as Hwy 41 and Hwy 46. This was at Blackwell’s Corner, which is an auto launch area per our counties criteria. Truly off the beaten path.

Decided to take the fam for a quick trip up the coast through Pismo, San Simeon (Hearst Castle is really awesome), and Morro Bay. Caught this on our way back.

FWIW, Cesar Chavez is buried in Keene, just before Tehachapi.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That awkward moment when you have to call your supervisor friend to come push your RSI meds for you because you aren't credentialed at this particular job. Why we can't have one standard RSI/DSI guideline for the whole system...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Was working OT at my station with 2nd Watch (I'm on 3rd), caught a cardiac arrest. Elderly male laying face down outside his house, next to a ladder and some spilled paint cans, found by the mailman, very bloody airway (looked like he faceplanted off the ladder..), spilled paint fairly dry, asystole the whole time... and EMS had us do CPR in the back of the ambulance enroute to the hospital...
They (EMS) did pull up on scene less than a minute behind us, and we basically did an initial round of CPR then loaded him up. There were some what looked like burns on both arms, so there was a question of maybe he got electrocuted? Medic ended up using a combitube, and plenty blood kept getting coughed up throughout. EtCO2 was in the 20s, never got higher than 35, asystole every rhythm check despite 5x Epi and at least 2x BiCarb.
But yeah, 2x firefighters and a medic, even in the back of a Mod, is def no bueno trying to juggle around eachother to do CPR while switching compressors every 2 min while bouncing down the highway...
(And in other news, water is wet...)

Turns out after I left, they got a second CPR call later that day. A different EMS unit was transporting a "sick person" when their patient coded, so they pulled over and called for Fire, and they ended up doing the same thing, CPR enroute to the hospital....

In other, unrelated news, an airplane had some fairly sever turbulence that resulted in like a dozen injuries... news showed the EMS Bus (not like NY slang, but an actual city bus, bus, with EMS Livery...) at the hospital while offloading patients, obviously all Grren tagged walking wounded. I just thought that was interesting, one of those things that probably doesn't get a whole lot of miles added to its odometer.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Medic ended up using a combitube, and plenty blood kept getting coughed up throughout.
This is exactly why I am working on stuff with our clinical department to get a good SALAD trainer for intubation. 4 of the intubations I've done recently were like this and they really aren't that hard to overcome with a well practiced method.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This is exactly why I am working on stuff with our clinical department to get a good SALAD trainer for intubation. 4 of the intubations I've done recently were like this and they really aren't that hard to overcome with a well practiced method.
If you use cpap with the actual (i dont know what its called but the gray box that has an o2 hose and a port to connect cpap tubing), connect it to the esophagous on an old airway head and out some gunk in there and you have a poor mans salad trainer. One of our local medics made on for his department. He showed me the video but i havent seen the actual head so I cant be more specific.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Finishing up my IV class in Denver. We did our live sticks today to finish up the class portion before our clinical day. Really happy to get 2 good sticks on the 1st attempt for each.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Making a salad trainer is pretty simple. Mine is a Simulaids “Fred the head” with a tube connected to a hand pump for sending airway contamination spurting into the oropharynx. Make your vomit from windshield washer fluid, water and a little xantham gum to thicken it up. Works great.