the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard night shift folks say it's different with the personalities and the not dealing with **** mindset. I don't really see that part, but I do like working at night more. I'd rather work 1300-0100 than having to be up at 0540.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’m a day shift guy myself. If I want or need something then every store is open. More staffing is on at various locations and we tend to be a lot more busy than the night shift crews.

The night shift guys piss me off when they try to say they were really busy but only had 2 calls in their 12 hour shift. Then they complain that they couldn’t get any sleep because they had post moves... if you want to sleep at night then work day shift.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Day shift in the winter. Nights in the summer.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
I used to get worked on night shift, mostly with IFTs. I tell people all the time: "You wouldn't believe how many people get rearranged between hospitals and facilities in the middle of the night". I think a lot had to do with the fact that night was down staffed to two 12 hour shifts and the assorted 24 hour crews...meaning on the 12 we usually got first dibs on the IFTs.

Even on a 24 we'd get the proverbial shaft. Nothing like getting that 3am IFT from the local ER in the San Gabriel valley to Long Beach Childrens. That was brutal, especially when you got ran all day. Either way it was a character builder and taught me to stay the hell off of 24s

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
You must’ve worked either for a small mom & pop shop or your system had horrible dispatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris07

No. Starts with an A ends with an R. Night dispatch was questionable.

Chris07

Nope SGV

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I work an overnight shift during the week and 24 on the weekend. The overnight usually turns out to be where the bad stuff happens.

I just like the night time vibe. If I could figure out how to sleep well during the day, I'm sure I'd like it more.
Pretty much. Being awake when the rest of the world isn't has it's perks. But having a "normal" life is hard so I guess I'll stick to 24s.
Less friction, like @Qulevrius says - fewer people around, less management bothering you, probably less patients?
I wish. Every now and again I work my part time city job at night for the ambiance. The fire crews are less in the way, we never see our ops supe, and there's no traffic. But our deployment drops from 18 ambulances to 8 at around 0300 so a 12 hour shift is still usually eight or nine transports.

Qulevrius

It’s a hit or miss for us. If the guys in dispatch are experienced, they aren’t running the 24s during the day. But come night...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The videos from the Las Vegas shooting are intense. Unconfirmed reports of multiple deaths.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've seen a couple videos from the scene. Sheriff stated at a press conference that at least 20 people are dead. Reports are that at least 100 are injured, some critically so. I've heard that a number of Fire, LE, military were there at the concert so that could mean fewer dead than otherwise could have been. The shooter was a LV local, shooting from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel. He's dead. He was NOT at the concert venue itself. The audio of the gunshots sounds a lot like a Full Auto AK. I very much doubt that the FA weapon was properly registered.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I see 50 dead 100 injured now, thus surpassing Orlando... a real shame. Watch your six folks.
Sounded like a 7.62 to me as well

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
This is terrible all the way around. Definitely a full-auto something (or a lot of somethings, reports are 10+ rifles in the room). Medicwest/AMR/Fire must have had an insane night.

Terrible all the way around. @SandpitMedic and the other Vegas folks- are y'all OK?

I was actually playing with the idea of going to this concert a while back, but school got in the way. This is....this could have been any of us.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I was actually playing with the idea of going to this concert a while back, but school got in the way. This is....this could have been any of us.

I almost won tickets to it on the radio. Probably the only time I'm glad to be a loser.

Makes me want to get my CCW even more now before I make the move out of CA.

Qulevrius

Definitely a full-auto something (or a lot of somethings, reports are 10+ rifles in the room)

With nearly 500 casualties, that’s thousands of rounds fired. Even if the crowd was packed shoulder to shoulder. And the horrible thing is, that it has nothing to do with gun laws and has everything to do with mental healthcare.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Makes me want to get my CCW even more now before I make the move out of CA.
Ahhh the 320m glock 19 shot. Legendary. .
Does it vary by state what is considered "injured" because I can't seem to figure that out. Short of it being different then before the event