the 100% directionless thread

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I spent a nice chunk of my uniform allowance today. New uniform shirts, new quarter-zip, new boots. I'm going to be reppin' in style on my next tour.

Now all I need is a decent jacket that's around $200 and has reflective... properties and I'm set. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
No idea the cost but gurber has a very nice reflective jacket.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We used to have Globe jackets that were really nice but apparently with some new law they aren't reflective enough so now we have these 5.11 parkas that the top half is neon yellow and makes you look like a tow truck driver but they definitely are warm and good at keeping water out.

"You is stupid, why yall gotta ax me these dumb questions? I jus finna go to da hospital and get my meds, you don need to ax me nuthin bout my life"

Exact quotes from a lovely lady I was a patient advocate for on my internship. I omitted the other, ahem, more profane quotes.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
We used to have Globe jackets that were really nice but apparently with some new law they aren't reflective enough so now we have these 5.11 parkas that the top half is neon yellow and makes you look like a tow truck driver but they definitely are warm and good at keeping water out.
We have similar 5.11's. Heavy Rain coat on the outside with neon yellow on the upper half, black on the lower/sides. Cool thing is it came with a nice fleece liner that comes out and can be used as a "light" jacket.

They're nice and all but not so fun when the company decided to use them as a protective jacket/reflective vest combo for traffic collisions (as well as our rain jackets)....especially during the summer. I used to dread traffic collision calls during the day when it was 100+ degrees outside.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

Quite a few guys have those Globe jackets and they seem pretty nice. I'm pretty much torn between that and the 5.11 one that looks pretty similar. Decisions decisions...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We have similar 5.11's. Heavy Rain coat on the outside with neon yellow on the upper half, black on the lower/sides. Cool thing is it came with a nice fleece liner that comes out and can be used as a "light" jacket.

They're nice and all but not so fun when the company decided to use them as a protective jacket/reflective vest combo for traffic collisions (as well as our rain jackets)....especially during the summer. I used to dread traffic collision calls during the day when it was 100+ degrees outside.

My company used to issue firefighter style brush jackets that were blue in color with yelliw reflective stripes.

Then they decided they weren't reflective enough so they decided to use the winter jacket for PPE. They're realky nice winter coats, but yeah, they suck to wear when its warm out.

Thing is they're no more reflective than (I'd say since they lack the yellow stripes even less than) the brush coats so we're still wearing the reflective yellow construction worker type vests on top of the coats.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anyone else see the picture on Facebook of the crew that took the remains of a deer that caused the MVA they responded to home in the ambulance?

That my friends is why we aren't viewed as professionals.

Are you kidding me!?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone else see the picture on Facebook of the crew that took the remains of a deer that caused the MVA they responded to home in the ambulance?

That my friends is why we aren't viewed as professionals.

Are you kidding me!?

What? Where?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Man... I had an oral board yesterday for a volly firefighter cadet position (you volly for the city, they end up putting you through the academy and then hire you on after). Felt like I nailed it, went for 10 minutes, felt like my answers were on point, got really positive feedback on the way out, chief even said that I did great.
Just got called and they said "we're gonna pass this go around."
Well... Damn...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just had a three year old put the drunks I pick up to shame when it comes to bio-ing of the ambulance.

That was a lot of puke.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Damn written test for ABQ ambulance tomorrow morning after I get off a 24. And just scheduled an interview as an urgent care medic for tomorrow afternoon

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Have PHTLS test coming up in a few days... not really nervous about it. Just have no idea what to expect question wise... will be fun!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Finally gonna start my ambulance internship soon.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Have PHTLS test coming up in a few days... not really nervous about it. Just have no idea what to expect question wise... will be fun!
Disclaimer: Even if I were allowed to discuss what was on the exam, I couldn't... it's been a little while and I don't remember specifics...

That being said, I think you'll find the PHTLS exam to be pretty straightforward. Just apply what you've learned in class for both written and skills, and you'll do just fine. PHTLS really isn't that difficult as long as you understand the concepts behind what they taught you.