the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Yeah. I figured. Just needed to vent after reading the book for the past two weeks prior to class. Thanks though.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Westmed College in San Jose.

Gonna change it to signature of the year. :D

I'm a bit anxious about the scheduling. I was told that I could do the internship like part time (like work it out to be once or twice a week sorta thing) prior to going back to full time. Now I am full time, and they are telling me that somebody incorrectly told me that, that I am expected to do it full time, and that if it doesn't work with my schedule, that I have to make it work. They want me to do it with the 911 division of my company, and if I did something like got fired for not showing up to work, I wouldn't be allowed to do the internship, and I don't like the idea of quitting either. I really hope the scheduling will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Westmed College in San Jose.

Gonna change it to signature of the year. :D

I'm a bit anxious about the scheduling. I was told that I could do the internship like part time (like work it out to be once or twice a week sorta thing) prior to going back to full time. Now I am full time, and they are telling me that somebody incorrectly told me that, that I am expected to do it full time, and that if it doesn't work with my schedule, that I have to make it work. They want me to do it with the 911 division of my company, and if I did something like got fired for not showing up to work, I wouldn't be allowed to do the internship, and I don't like the idea of quitting either. I really hope the scheduling will work.

Oooooof, I've been told that Westmed is actually worse than ncti.

On a side note: Since NCTI Who is owned AMR, which is owned by newly public Envision Healthcare Holdings, has been struggling with placing students, I am told it's going to get worse. I guess the parent company is now pushing for more classes to be held during the year. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Blonde girls and tattoos. Blonde girls and tattoos. Blonde girls and tattoos.

That is all ;)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
coming up on wanting to move on to something else?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They say the average lifespan of a paramedic career is 7 years.

Sounds about right.

I'm coming up on six years in ems. And I think it might be right. I'm still looking at pa

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm coming up on six years in ems. And I think it might be right. I'm still looking at pa

I'm not interested in flight. I don't have any interest in nursing. PA doesn't sound appealing.

...maybe I can go sell TVs at Best Buy. Or open an ice cream stand.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
They say the average lifespan of a paramedic career is 7 years.

Sounds about right.

Don't believe it. Look for renewed inspiration. I'm 20 years in and care more than ever.

I added fire 3 years ago, and that is nicely diverting and fun.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
How much do most people put in their 401ks? I started with 5% (with my employer matching 3%). My paychecks are getting taxed like crazy so I am thinking about going up to 10%.If I put more towards my 401K then my taxable gross will be less and I will come out somewhat even? I am horrible with finances.

It is crazy my planned retirement year is "2055" :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
How much do most people put in their 401ks? I started with 5% (with my employer matching 3%). My paychecks are getting taxed like crazy so I am thinking about going up to 10%.If I put more towards my 401K then my taxable gross will be less and I will come out somewhat even? I am horrible with finances.

It is crazy my planned retirement year is "2055" :wacko:

Good advice that I was given is to fund the 401k up to the employer match (free money), then fund a Roth IRA (because your taxes will likely be less now than at the time you retire), and then fund an HSA if you have one or put more into the 401k if you have the money to. I'm not the best with finance, but this seems to be the general idea for that investment pattern.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Good advice that I was given is to fund the 401k up to the employer match (free money), then fund a Roth IRA (because your taxes will likely be less now than at the time you retire), and then fund an HSA if you have one or put more into the 401k if you have the money to. I'm not the best with finance, but this seems to be the general idea for that investment pattern.

So my 401k is a Roth IRA, I contribute 6 my employer matches 4% might actually be 4.5% now not sure.

Kinda similar, makes it a single account though.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
So my 401k is a Roth IRA, I contribute 6 my employer matches 4% might actually be 4.5% now not sure.

Kinda similar, makes it a single account though.

Yep, pretty similar.

On another note, I feel like these future of EMS threads always go in circles. It starts out nice and optimistic and always ends with crap talking nurses. Shoot me.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I'm not interested in flight. I don't have any interest in nursing. PA doesn't sound appealing.

...maybe I can go sell TVs at Best Buy. Or open an ice cream stand.

You can move to the comm center...unfortunately our average career life about 2-5 years.