the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
IFT time frames are slightly different. If you have more than enough time to reach your pickup location before your pickup time. I had a partner once who got mad because I didn't immediately exit the video store when we got a page... for a discharge from a hospital 5 minutes away... scheduled for 20 minutes from when we got the page. So instead of letting me finish browsing we got to sit in the ambulance bay for 15 minutes waiting for the pickup time.

Oh, and for radio terminology, we used "copy page" for getting the page and "en route" or "responding" for when we actually started moving (which no one cared about anyways). For the first year at the company, our PCRs didn't even have a place to put the dispatch time ("alarm time").

Last edited by a moderator:

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
Where I work now we don't even have radios, we get dispatched via text, and we text in to get our call times. We text: enroute, on scene, depart scene, arrival. We pull our call times for our PCRs from the cell phone.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As it should be. The ambulance services down here have codes that typically contradict one another. I know one company has a signal for a psych, while the other uses it for a possible/death. AMR is really the only company that pushes it (they actually give a written exam to the people coming out of orientation on the 10 codes, signals, and posts). Luckily my current full time and part time companies are lax on it. I don't know how my next company will be, but its small so I'd imagine lax as well.

It makes life a lot easier. The fire department also uses plain English. Really the only "codes" we use are Code 4 (saying we are safe) and Code 7 (stopping for food) but we can easily say we are safe or we are stopping for food with no issues.

As Exdous knows we aren't that professional over the radio...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Generally a 10-100 has a very specific reason on why the crew is out of the ambulance.

Or 10-200. Always my favorite ten code to put out over our county wide dispatch channel with all the echoing in the background ;)

Also, I don't know how I forgot about code 7s. If we want to go further than a mile away from our post for food or coffee we ask for a code 7 in the area of so and so. Sometimes they'll let us run an errand or stop by one of our houses if we ask to run a detail and its not way out of the way. I've never done it because I've never lived close enough but I've heard of people posting at their house or apartment if its within a mile. As long as your chute times are good, you answer the radio quickly and you have good access to get onto the big road you're posted near they don't really care where we hang out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Darn it, I left everything in the rig at the station 50 miles away from where I live with a crew I don't really trust. I really hope none of it is missing when I get back, and they don't get held over more than an hour. <_<

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
That was your BLS call right?

Yuppp.

We walk in, and everyone is running, then they tell us. "We called 911, you can go." We're pretty much, uhm, we are 911 and walk over to the pt who's on the floor.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yuppp.

We walk in, and everyone is running, then they tell us. "We called 911, you can go." We're pretty much, uhm, we are 911 and walk over to the pt who's on the floor.
Tell us more. I'm interested, and I don't see anything on the previous pages.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Tell us more. I'm interested, and I don't see anything on the previous pages.

BLS call for general weakness from dialysis. No BLS available so they sent us, an ALS unit and it's in the city next to us, which we don't cover 911. We pull up, and as we're unloading the gear, we see people running towards the back of the center. We walk in, and they're like, oh no, you can go, we call 911. We're like, oh well, lets just check it out. We walk in, and see the patient on the floor and everyone freaking out, so I walked back out to the rig, grabbed the ALS bags on get in.

Pt is altered, nearly unresponsive. Get the pads on her just in case, and she goes into V-Tach. Medic notices, shocks the patient, and we load her up on our gurney. At this point, the cities fire department and since the pt is on our gurney we go ahead and do the transport, but have one of their medics ride along with us. By the time we got to the ER, she was awake and talking. Only complaint, "You poked my finger for the glucose."

Dispatched was confused when I told them we were transporting code 3 with a fire rider from the other city though!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
BLS call for general weakness from dialysis. No BLS available so they sent us, an ALS unit and it's in the city next to us, which we don't cover 911. We pull up, and as we're unloading the gear, we see people running towards the back of the center. We walk in, and they're like, oh no, you can go, we call 911. We're like, oh well, lets just check it out. We walk in, and see the patient on the floor and everyone freaking out, so I walked back out to the rig, grabbed the ALS bags on get in.

Pt is altered, nearly unresponsive. Get the pads on her just in case, and she goes into V-Tach. Medic notices, shocks the patient, and we load her up on our gurney. At this point, the cities fire department and since the pt is on our gurney we go ahead and do the transport, but have one of their medics ride along with us. By the time we got to the ER, she was awake and talking. Only complaint, "You poked my finger for the glucose."

Dispatched was confused when I told them we were transporting code 3 with a fire rider from the other city though!
Wow, she kinda got lucky there was no BLS units available for her dialysis appointment.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, realistically a BLS unit should have provided identical treatment with an AED...

Yup, facility had an AED as well, but they were freaking out, so I'm not sure how well it would have worked.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, realistically a BLS unit should have provided identical treatment with an AED...

Not necessarily. We're assuming pulseless v-tach here, which isn't explicitly stated. If the lady still had a pulse, than the AED wouldn't have been used.

We're also assuming that the BLS unit has an AED. This is California we're talking about after all.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not necessarily. We're assuming pulseless v-tach here, which isn't explicitly stated. If the lady still had a pulse, than the AED wouldn't have been used.

We're also assuming that the BLS unit has an AED. This is California we're talking about after all.

Our BLS units do have AEDs ;)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Yeah, it was pulseless.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yey! All of my stuff was untouched on the rig I left 'em in.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Ugh...
The smell of decomp!

Uhhhhg

Anjel

Forum Angel
Found out today, that as soon as I get my license numbers, I will have a full time medic spot waiting for me.

Heck yes!