the 100% directionless thread

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
You don’t have to go to such lengths and explain what combat medics do or don’t. I’ve had that fun for a few years (although nearly a quarter century ago), but I doubt anything significantly changed. I also am familiar with how both the street and the hospital work for civvy medics. So while I do agree with you on the going back to school part, I also would like to point out that not everyone wants to become a nurse. There are people who are content with where they are but would like to try something different and this gig is it. It has just enough benefits to offset the *somewhat* low pay. Because the pay is what you found funny, innit ?
I only went to those lengths since you said how little 68Ws do when they aren't deployed. I'm just trying to provide an accurate description for anyone else who reads any of this.

I never said they should go to school to be a nurse. They could go to school to be an RT, PA, teacher, engineer, lawyer, cop, or what ever else.

I don't think 14 bucks an hour is somewhat low, it is downright insulting. The benefit of having room and board on a locum and one day off a week in fiji in exchange for working 72 hours a week plus call? Doesn't seem worth it at all.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Well, that’s just it. Most of the people are either not ambitious enough for school or simply don’t feel like it. Being a medic is what strokes their ego and adding “worked with such and such, in such and such capacity, overseas” is what they’ll put on the list of accomplishments. Like @CCCSD said, $5k/mo with R&B at one of the most beautiful places in the world is enticing enough for a young and single medic.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is an ego move for sure.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Whole 30 sucks. But I'm enjoying exploring with my cooking. But I really want a doughnut. Why did I agree to do this with my wife?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Interesting that those that choose to stay as EMTS or Medics are now solely ego driven because “I’m a medic” is badass? So if I never want to go to RN, PA, MD school, I’m a ****ty person? No ambition? Nursing ain’t all that great, except for pay. I can do more as a remote medic than 90% of the RNs out there. If I’m an 18D, I’m working at a PA level in most countries.

Might want to revisit the ego in that statement.

To play Devil's Advocate, most people who say "nursing ain't all that great" are ignorant of nursing beyond what they see at the bedside.

Are you an 18D? Been to SOCM? Because if you talk to most SOF medics you'd know that it isn't "PA level" stuff that keeps your patients alive in austere medicine and PFC....it is basic nursing care.

Not sure "I can do more or basically work at X level" is a great argument for anything. A lot of things are done out of necessity

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’m not going to discuss this further as I get tired of being banned for hurting feelings. Yes. I have experience.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
The Iranians finally admitted to “mistakenly” shooting down the Ukranian passenger plane. Holy smokes.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
When you didn't/ couldn't shovel your driveway because you went into work that morning and when you get back from work your driveway is now ice... I always hate going into work when it snows the night before my shift. Makes a headache when I get home.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
When you didn't/ couldn't shovel your driveway because you went into work that morning and when you get back from work your driveway is now ice... I always hate going into work when it snows the night before my shift. Makes a headache when I get home.
One more reason to own a flamethrower

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
2nd in engine to a structure fire! Aaaand... first in company had it handled already, kitchen fire out on arrival.... all dressed up but no party lol

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
W
Why? Second engine in doesn't have to do things like roll and clean hose, or the paperwork on fire.
Paperwork on the fire? You mean “house was very hot with red and yellow stuff coming out of it. We put the colder blue stuff on it and everything in a 1/4 mile radius and then went home”

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Bn Chief was first on scene, had the first in engine grab the hydrant so we didn't even need to do that lol... beyond that, we parked behind the Ladder so I never even saw any hose, but sounds like an oven fire, so maybe just a can or extinguishers.

Ladder was already blowing the smoke out, all we ended up doing was looking good for the neighbors down the street (arguably the single most important job!)

And yup, no paperwork, or cleaning, but no getting to put wet on red either. At this point I would be happy just being able to go on air to do a search. Most actual action I've had recently was a smoke alarm in an apt, no one home, so we ended up climbing in thru the window to investigate/deactivate lol

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Paperwork on the fire? You mean “house was very hot with red and yellow stuff coming out of it. We put the colder blue stuff on it and everything in a 1/4 mile radius and then went home”
Think PCRs are a pain...try a NIFRS report.