the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Or you can get photosensitive outlets that screw into the outlet and then you screw the lights into them. Then they'll come on when it gets dark and go off when the sun comes up.

Both switches for the porch lights are interior switches.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Anyone have an idea on how to change your porch lights from a regular on/off switch to a programable timer? Is it as simple as I'd imagine (cutting/ splicing wires)?

Ideally you don’t have to cut or splice anything. Flip off the breaker, then pull out the old ones marking the +/- and ground, mind the wire gauge. Install the new ones per the manual, test. The timer should work in the same fashion as the sprinkler one i.e. turn the current on at a set time.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When you crack a joke with the cops well out earshot of the frequent flyer about how their florid methiness is going to cause you jump out of the ambulance on the highway and then not ten minutes later you’re in a bit of a tussle with the patient who also apparently had the same idea and is clawing for the door.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

CALEMT

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
They're finally offering us night alphabet soup classes (night shift used to get ****ed over on recerts) and thinking about throwing my name in the hat as an instructor just so I can help keep this going. Seems like a nice thing to have tucked away.

CALEMT

I like it when it's raining and it all of a sudden becomes quite and it gets a shade lighter outside. Weather forecasts actually came through and it's snowing... and of course I go in to work tomorrow.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I like it when it's raining and it all of a sudden becomes quite and it gets a shade lighter outside. Weather forecasts actually came through and it's snowing... and of course I go in to work tomorrow.
It's supposed to snow tomorrow night and accumulate 1-3 inches. Tell me two things. Take a nap during the day, and wrong snacks for the night.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Qulevrius

Had this lovely gem sent to me.

6 shifts (that look like 12s) plus call a week. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the compensation. $1250 a week.

If the living accommodations and food are covered, it’s an OK gig for a medic. Plus, it’s in NZ/AU so I’m guessing non taxable, Not a good fit for a nurse though.

Peak

If the living accommodations and food are covered, it’s an OK gig for a medic. Plus, it’s in NZ/AU so I’m guessing non taxable, Not a good fit for a nurse though.

Not including call or any additional time flying someone out that works out to about $14 bucks an hour assuming overtime after 40 hours. It's not a permanent job, it's essentially a locum and either providing housing or a stipend for housing is the norm (nor do I see any benefits being offered, just like other locums). I don't think that $14 an hour is reasonable for a medic, maybe for an EMT. If you are an American citizen then you are still subject to federal taxes as well.

Qulevrius

Not including call or any additional time flying someone out that works out to about $14 bucks an hour assuming overtime after 40 hours. It's not a permanent job, it's essentially a locum and either providing housing or a stipend for housing is the norm (nor do I see any benefits being offered, just like other locums). I don't think that $14 an hour is reasonable for a medic, maybe for an EMT. If you are an American citizen then you are still subject to federal taxes as well.

AMR’s rates for medics are $15-$18 regardless of what you do. In this setting, you’re dealing with a set population for several months and have access to on-site clinic with MDs and nursing staff. It’s a resume booster job that pays slightly less. Nurses don’t really need that kind of stuff, but for a medic it’s OK.

Peak

I'm not even approaching it as a nurse. I guess I got lucky working on a fire department after my medic but I would never work for 15 bucks an hour as a medic. We pay our ED EMTs more than that.

Your time is worth what you will sell it for. If you view it as a paid way to do adventure type things then go for it, but I don't really see the value beyond that. Certainly the labor market is a balance of supply versus demand, but if the supply agrees to an unlivable wage it then the free market will never increase salary. I won't even walk into the hospital for overtime if I'm not either getting call in pay or bonus pay on top of the OT.

As a real question how much is it even really worth as a resume builder? You're going to have a doc at any of the high risk events, and the vast majority of what your are going to treat are clinic or maybe urgent care type complaints. With the exception of the actual contestants most of the patient population will be pretty young and healthy. The conditions are pretty cush too; it's not like working in a unstable area of the middle east, the Antarctic clinic, or something like that. Your going three plus months without a code, without a stemi, without a septic shock patient, or anything else resembling real acuity.

Qulevrius

I'm not even approaching it as a nurse. I guess I got lucky working on a fire department after my medic but I would never work for 15 bucks an hour as a medic. We pay our ED EMTs more than that.

Your time is worth what you will sell it for. If you view it as a paid way to do adventure type things then go for it, but I don't really see the value beyond that. Certainly the labor market is a balance of supply versus demand, but if the supply agrees to an unlivable wage it then the free market will never increase salary. I won't even walk into the hospital for overtime if I'm not either getting call in pay or bonus pay on top of the OT.

As a real question how much is it even really worth as a resume builder? You're going to have a doc at any of the high risk events, and the vast majority of what your are going to treat are clinic or maybe urgent care type complaints. With the exception of the actual contestants most of the patient population will be pretty young and healthy. The conditions are pretty cush too; it's not like working in a unstable area of the middle east, the Antarctic clinic, or something like that. Your going three plus months without a code, without a stemi, without a septic shock patient, or anything else resembling real acuity.

Like I said (and you briefly touched on as well), the population is set. Mostly young, healthy, medically screened prior to etc. So the most serious of the incidents will be traumas, with dehydration here and there. It’s essentially a combat medic gig, only without being in a combat zone. You’re looking at it the wrong way...

Peak

What does it build up your resume for though? What job does it make you more competitive for?

I have a couple of friends that were 68W or 18D and they actually saw quite a few sick patients and a lot of trauma. The service members are healthy but the locals usually aren't.

Qulevrius

What does it build up your resume for though? What job does it make you more competitive for?

I have a couple of friends that were 68W or 18D and they actually saw quite a few sick patients and a lot of trauma. The service members are healthy but the locals usually aren't.

18Ds are not really a good example, they’re considerably better trained than the Whiskeys. You’re talking about deployment, I’m talking about a white/blue phase where the medics are taking care of their own only. So, sick rolls every morning and then deal with mostly minor BS as the day goes.

A typical mid-road civvy medic will jump on an opportunity like this, because it’s an exposure to stuff other than bullsh*t calls and IFTs. If the patient is serious enough to warrant a medevac, it’s an introduction to flight as well. Not to mention close networking with higher level providers for 3 months. And of course as the gig progresses, the contestant population is going to dwindle. Not at all terrible (for a medic).

Peak

Let me clarify. I have friends who were 68W. I have other friends who were 18D. Both saw a good number of medically complex and high acuity trauma patients. Yes the 18D medics have more training and certainly have a more independent role, but that doesn't mean that the 68W medics didn't have any exposure.

It's not just deployment. Many 68W medics work in the hospital when they are stateside. There are 68W who get assigned to the ED, ICU, L&D, and so on. There are 68Ws on the burn flight team.

There are also 68Ws who get assigned to a unit and do sick call or work in the clinics. (one of our floor nurses loves to tell us how she spent her four years doing eye exams and taking vitals, and never got deployed). Not all military medics are doing low acuity work when they are out of theater.

If a medic is so over working the streets that they would rather take an underpaid essentially clinic job then maybe they should go back to school.

Qulevrius

Let me clarify. I have friends who were 68W. I have other friends who were 18D. Both saw a good number of medically complex and high acuity trauma patients. Yes the 18D medics have more training and certainly have a more independent role, but that doesn't mean that the 68W medics didn't have any exposure.

It's not just deployment. Many 68W medics work in the hospital when they are stateside. There are 68W who get assigned to the ED, ICU, L&D, and so on. There are 68Ws on the burn flight team.

There are also 68Ws who get assigned to a unit and do sick call or work in the clinics. (one of our floor nurses loves to tell us how she spent her four years doing eye exams and taking vitals, and never got deployed). Not all military medics are doing low acuity work when they are out of theater.

If a medic is so over working the streets that they would rather take an underpaid essentially clinic job then maybe they should go back to school.

You don’t have to go to such lengths and explain what combat medics do or don’t. I’ve had that fun for a few years (although nearly a quarter century ago), but I doubt anything significantly changed. I also am familiar with how both the street and the hospital work for civvy medics. So while I do agree with you on the going back to school part, I also would like to point out that not everyone wants to become a nurse. There are people who are content with where they are but would like to try something different and this gig is it. It has just enough benefits to offset the *somewhat* low pay. Because the pay is what you found funny, innit ?