the 100% directionless thread

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Yet another random question from me :) How many of you filled out paperwork for a background check before you even did an interview? I just did it for hte first time and got confused, usually I've seen services do background checks after the interview...

Did it at the same time. They locked 7 of us in a room, started us on a written exam with background check forms to fill out when we finished, and then randomly pulled us out of the room while we were working to do scenario tests and interviews.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
K. Just wondering since I haven't even made it down there for an interview yet. They wanted authorization for a bg check, copies of all certs (in color. Thank god for .pdfs I made of all my certs with a scanner), and a second application done, all before I leave on Tuesday. All of it is in though :)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
K. Just wondering since I haven't even made it down there for an interview yet. They wanted authorization for a bg check, copies of all certs (in color. Thank god for .pdfs I made of all my certs with a scanner), and a second application done, all before I leave on Tuesday. All of it is in though :)

Nice thing in my state is that anyone can check your certs online, so no copying of paper necessary. I would really only have to carry my card while on duty. Good luck.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nice thing in my state is that anyone can check your certs online, so no copying of paper necessary. I would really only have to carry my card while on duty. Good luck.

TX has that too, which is a new thing for me (NM has a quarterly updated .pdf, so not everyone shows up on it). In CO you could look it up online, but you still had to carry your card. From what I've been told in TX as long as you show up online you can work without card in hand (what I was told after my cert went live on the lookup but before my card showed up in the mail).
Mainly what they needed was ACLS, PALS, PEPP, CPR, PHTLS cards in color.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
TX has that too, which is a new thing for me (NM has a quarterly updated .pdf, so not everyone shows up on it). In CO you could look it up online, but you still had to carry your card. From what I've been told in TX as long as you show up online you can work without card in hand (what I was told after my cert went live on the lookup but before my card showed up in the mail).
Mainly what they needed was ACLS, PALS, PEPP, CPR, PHTLS cards in color.

That makes sense. I do not believe we have those online, as those are not state issued certs. Since i'm just an EMT, it doesn't really matter to me, but it would be great to eventually have all of a provider's certs online, allowing any employer to easily check without resorting to pieces of printed paper.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I just found out something cool. My dad was an ambulance driver for the Air Force for a few years before I was born. Now I know why he thought me becoming an EMT was a cool idea.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
L4L received his state paramedic license today. Debating on whether he should let his EMT-B expire, or recert for another cycle.

Do you mean your NREMT-B or what? I'm confused :p

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
Be sure and stop at paradise island, that place is amazing!

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Grrr! why do dummy veins have to be so easy and human veins such a challenge to get.
Spent 13 hours at local ER today. 1 for three IV starts, but boy did I get vitals and theraputic communication down pat. -_- I had to bust my backside to earn doing anything beyond getting a set of vitals, and cleaning rooms. But all in all, It was still a good day.
halfway through the day, a guy RN started his shift and he let me do anything and everything I was trained to do. And even let me start giving drugs.B)
That made the day so much better. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm starting to miss IFTs now that I can actually make heads and tails out of the 50 page long cardiac drug lists that patients seem to be on.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Is a wobulator the same as a Sassafras? :unsure:

I do believe wobulator may have a more electric personality than me. :D

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep, I'm impatient. 45 hours