the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Heck, they could just use NREMT and say "hey, if you are certed by NREMT, you just need to apply to us for your state license."

That's how it works for us. The initial application to get your EMT card you need your NREMT. When you go and recert you don't need your NREMT.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
@ViolynEMT, I feel like the states are behind the curve - they need to tie out to NREMT's requirements. Heck, they could just use NREMT and say "hey, if you are certed by NREMT, you just need to apply to us for your state license."

That's how Az does it. If you are current with NREMT, you just apply for the state license. Because of that, though, you need proof of current NREMT to get a job here.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah, @CALEMT, I see - but wouldn't it make more sense (i.e. be cheaper) to just have the state be a verifier of current NREMT status going forward? Sounds like, as @ViolynEMT says that's done. When you say the new standard, are you talking about NCCP?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@ViolynEMT, I feel like the states are behind the curve - they need to tie out to NREMT's requirements. Heck, they could just use NREMT and say "hey, if you are certed by NREMT, you just need to apply to us for your state license."

The thing is... NYS thinks they make the rules. So anything done by them is right. Everybody else is wrong. But as previously mentioned I'll look into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have actually been very happy with Distancecme.com so far. They offer different plans based on what your state does for national (traditional, 2012 NCCR, or 2016 NCCR).

CALEMT

Ah, @CALEMT, I see - but wouldn't it make more sense (i.e. be cheaper) to just have the state be a verifier of current NREMT status going forward?

The initial EMT card application requires NREMT. Makes sense because you already have it if you're just coming out of your EMT class. Subsequent recert applications do not require any standing within the NREMT i.e. You can let your national lapse and still recert in my county. There's no requirement to keep your NREMT to recert.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The initial EMT card application requires NREMT. Makes sense because you already have it if you're just coming out of your EMT class. Subsequent recert applications do not require any standing within the NREMT i.e. You can let your national lapse and still recert in my county. There's no requirement to keep your NREMT to recert.
Nope. I like to keep it for when the company asks about sending people out of state to cover a low staff area for a little bit.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess

I just got off the phone with AzDHS. I finally have a clear picture. Az does not require NREMT Certification. Just a refresher so technically I'm good through September 2018. It's risky, though, not to have a current NREMT certification here because some employers require it. Az has adopted the NCCP standards which, to my surprise, are easier. With the refresher and the 39 hours of CE I have through Rural Metro, I will have more than enough. The traditional NREMT standard from 2012 requires 72 hours. The new, which was introduced in June or July of 2016, only requires 40 hours.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@ViolynEMT I'm jealous - neither CT and NYS really pick up the phone...haha

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It seems that I have misplaced the paper for 8 hours of CE from EVOC. :(o_O
I scan and save all my CEUs for exactly this reason. Then I put all my paperwork in a single file folder designated for CEUs. Haven't completely lost one in quite a while!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I scan and save all my CEUs for exactly this reason. Then I put all my paperwork in a single file folder designated for CEUs. Haven't completely lost one in quite a while!
Same here

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh joy....I had picked up an overtime shift on one of our ALS units, one based out of a slow station in Calabasas.....basically I expected to be able to chill out most all day at station, run a few transfers and make a few call bonus bucks.......

Until I just got the email saying the medic called off, so due to lack of partner they reassigned me to an open BLS shift, which just means primarily 911 responses here......but it's out of the Hawthorne station....we might see it for all of 5 min tomorrow lol, better make sure I pack my 5 hour shots haha :/

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess

I have a folder with everything else is in it. I'm not sure how that one got away. Scanning is a good idea. I was told that Rural Metro/AMR can reissue it. The same people are working there and I also found out that I may not need it anyway. I have enough besides.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I went to sign up for a vent management course in June only to find out it's already sold out, bummer.

Oh well, at least my days are covered, and I get an unexpected earlier than normal vacation.

CALEMT