the 100% directionless thread

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
do the EmtLife shirts run big or small? or a regular size.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Few more hours left on shift....Start dozing off...Window starts rolling down because someone random thought we were a different crew...Progress lost....dammit

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Less (actual cash outlay) cost, too. Could always do both at once (MPH + NRP --> run state EMS department?) :)
Do it right and paramedic school will cost you nothing but your sanity.

It was weird to be both the subject of a grant and the administrator of said grant, but it saved work 4k in school tuition and made it so I got paid on days when I spent the first nine hours in school instead of class.

Someday I do plan on getting an MPA but I need to recover my ability to enjoy being in a classroom. This three week AMR academy is giving me flashbacks.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm all for teaching...but when your partner is on a 48 it's frowned upon to let your medic student spend an hour on scene on a generalized weakness call 8 minutes from the hospital at 0330 in the morning. [emoji35]

Today is going to be interesting, back half of my 48 is on the busiest truck in our system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I missed one of my 24's last week due to the shift falling on drill weekend, and I only worked one 24hr last week before our Kelley schedule 4 day break. I just finished the back half of a shift, and I am tempted to pick up another 12 hour shift today to finish making up the hours...problem is the shift I'm eyeing gets off at 0130, and my regular shift starts at 0700...oh and it's "day car" with no set station, so it's entire job in between calls is to roam around between posts. Oh and it's dedicated to the one city that doesn't allow code 3 responses, unless specifically upgraded by their fire department (which does go code to every single call), which means in order to meet contract requirements for response times, we need to flood the city with posted ambulances so that a) little chance of getting a station based post (spend 12 hours in the cab) b) whenever someone does get a call, the domino effect means that you're constantly shifting posts....needless to say it's not my favorite place to work......buuuuut I really need the hours ($$) so hmm.....

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Barring the crazy, I don't do 48s much. 12s are where it's at.

*Rural 24s are ok

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6309.JPG
I'm on my rural station 24 now. Two trucks in the station until midnight, then its just us. Had breakfast, restocked the truck and now I'm doing my part to make sure the recliner doesn't escape.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I so dearly wish I had a station. Instead I have to become a pretzel around 11 to get some shut eye. Until they send me on a midnight pump transfer from the ICU. :(

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
View attachment 3453 I'm on my rural station 24 now. Two trucks in the station until midnight, then its just us. Had breakfast, restocked the truck and now I'm doing my part to make sure the recliner doesn't escape.

I'm in a much better mood now that I've slept and eaten. Now I'm joining you in guarding the recliners.
16968bcc378870dd0471550a7d788ee5.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've decided to enjoy the recliners at home before the ones at work tomorrow lol (didn't help that I woke up from a nap about the same time I'd need to be leaving the house if I had picked up that OT shift haha)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Dang, you guys have some nice stations to stay in.

My normal station puts this one to shame. It's over the top nice.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
my 'station' is my house, in my recliner, in my pajamas. lay a pair of 5.11 ems pants, a polo, a pair of socks, and my shoes next to my chair. Pager goes off, I toss my stuff on and out the door.

I'd almost like one of those stations better, get away from the kids sometimes..lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our stations are almost all old and reaching the end of their life spans. Except for the one truck co-habbed with fire at their newest station

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our stations are almost all old and reaching the end of their life spans. Except for the one truck co-habbed with fire at their newest station

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Most all our units are in house with fire. We have one standalone that's super nice and the rest of the standalones are all scheduled for replacement or rejuvenation in the next few years.