the 100% directionless thread

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Brother I know the feeling about getting in shape. Any recs on a weight vest anyone?

If you're going to build up cardio, lose weight before you throw a vest on, otherwise it will kill your knees. That's exactly what happened to me, I started jogging every night and was getting much better with cardio. But I ended up screwing my knee up and now it pops a lot. Really set me back. If you still go for it, be sure to at least grab a knee brace!

MrJones

Iconoclast
Since we're talking about the crappy cardio we're inflicting on ourselves....I'm 56 and prepping to do the arduous level work capacity test - a 3-mile hike with 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. Without running or jogging.

Go ahead. Try it yourselves. ;)

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I put myself on a diet/exercise routine and then I broke my foot.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Since we're talking about the crappy cardio we're inflicting on ourselves....I'm 56 and prepping to do the arduous level work capacity test - a 3-mile hike with 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. Without running or jogging.

I've done it. The pace wasn't too bad as I am usually a fast walker anyways. But my calves after that were done. They literally felt like they were on fire. Of course, I didn't train for it or anything. I kinda just was in a situation where I had to do it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I did it on a treadmill and it was god awful. If I could have jogged things would have been waaaay better.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well that's not good, it appears I ended up on the news. I'm too poor for this.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
In other news applied for an FTO spot and also for TEMS. Gotta start running with a light weight vest to get my *** in shape. Plenty strong after coming back from surgery but I hate cardio with a passion...
What the hell do you need a weight vest for? Please don't say running...

Edit: Exo beat me to my point. That's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread...

Running with a weighted vest is absolutely terrible for your knees and back, even if you don't have weight to lose (that means you, Robby...). Ruck it if you're just trying to get used to working with a kit on, but even that's not necessary if you're in decent shape. Working with a kit is more awkward than physically taxing, but a weighted vest won't help with that part.

Last edited:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Edit: Exo beat me to my point. That's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread...

Running with a weighted vest is absolutely terrible for your knees and back, even if you don't have weight to lose (that means you, Robby...). Ruck it if you're just trying to get used to working with a kit on, but even that's not necessary if you're in decent shape. Working with a kit is more awkward than physically taxing, but a weighted vest won't help with that part.

I'm overweight, I already have a 75 lb vest on fulltime ;)

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
African driver got us lost in the middle of the desert, I spent 2 hours guestimating the exact location because my gps was confiscated by the airport here. With less than a quarter of the tank left and sun going down managed to get to the campsite in time for dinner, WIN.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

The biggest thing I wanted it for is breathing heavily with a constricting best on. That was my biggest issue the last time around.

Anjel

Forum Angel
In 10 days I'll be LA bound. Good bye 29 degree weather.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sitting on scene for about an hour and a half waiting for a bariatric for a patient with a BP of 60/40 even after 2L of NS is a lot of paperwork.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Sitting on scene for about an hour and a half waiting for a bariatric for a patient with a BP of 60/40 even after 2L of NS is a lot of paperwork.

A hour and a half that would suck! I guess in a big city it would be harder to get the bariatric ambulance to a location in a timely manner.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A hour and a half that would suck! I guess in a big city it would be harder to get the bariatric ambulance to a location in a timely manner.
I'm not even in a big city. The bariatric unit is not normally staffed. So when someone needs it a BLS crew had to drive to get the unit, check the unit out, and then meet up with us on scene.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not even in a big city. The bariatric unit is not normally staffed. So when someone needs it a BLS crew had to drive to get the unit, check the unit out, and then meet up with us on scene.

Yes. I was just saying that it could take longer with the distance in a big city compared to a small town. But now that I think about it, it could take longer in a small town. depending on the place because I started ems in a small town but we serviced places in the middle of no where and that could take forever for a bariatric unit. Either way, it sucks when you have to call for a bariatric unit.