"Sick Person"

I sure hope they are sick if they are calling 911

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The Dispatch I hate the most.

"Sick Person"

Every time I get called to a fall, I die a little inside.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Every time I get called to a fall, I die a little inside.

Our "fall victims" are triaged by dispatch a little better,

Fell out of bed, Bravo

Fell off a roof, Delta

The Sick Person dispatch we get tends to be the generalized dispatch of "we don't have a category for this one so we'll make them a sick person" its almost like a roulette wheel. Toothache or Train wreck.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic

"Sick Person"

Mine is "for an eval", courtesy of the local PDs. About half of the time, it's acute behavioral problems; another quarter is injuries after an assault (sometimes before officers arrived, sometimes after). The remaining quarter is a wild card. Unconscious in a parked car? Early-onset incarceritis? Language barrier so no one knows what the problem is?
I'm just waiting to get dispatched for an eval and pull up to FD doing compressions.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Can't stand the dispatches for MVAs for someone who "wants to be checked out." Since it's a tiered system we manage to avoid going on these, but I still feel for the BLS crews. Do you feel hurt anywhere? Do you want to go to the hospital? The answer is almost always no, so I don't know what they want EMS to do when they show up on scene.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Throwback

Came across this today as I was cleaning out some dresser drawers.

Attachments

• CFP.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 559
Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm. Did anyone else see the article about the new Special Operations truck an agency in Baton Rouge just bought? The examples they gave in the news article was that it carries 120 backboards and 200 C-Collars. I would weep if my agency ever stocked a vehicle like that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmm. Did anyone else see the article about the new Special Operations truck an agency in Baton Rouge just bought? The examples they gave in the news article was that it carries 120 backboards and 200 C-Collars. I would weep if my agency ever stocked a vehicle like that.

Could you wrap the back board straps around some dogs and use the backboard as a sleigh?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Two opportunities for field intubations today. I passed on both and managed the airway with BLS adjuncts.

...and I'm sure I'll get told I'm not aggressive enough.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
To be the generalized dispatch of "we don't have a category for this one so we'll make them a sick person" its almost like a roulette wheel. Toothache or Train wreck.

That's what I like most about those. A lot of my sickest patients have come in as Sick Person :D It really is a crapshoot.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Can't stand the dispatches for MVAs for someone who "wants to be checked out." Since it's a tiered system we manage to avoid going on these, but I still feel for the BLS crews. Do you feel hurt anywhere? Do you want to go to the hospital? The answer is almost always no, so I don't know what they want EMS to do when they show up on scene.

We die a little too...
Disp: "Is anyone injured?"
Caller: "Nah, we're all right"
(murmuring with friends in the background)
Caller: "Wait my friends, neck is hurting real bad..."

Same thing for sick person:
Disp: "Tell me exactly what happened?"
Caller: I'm dying...Quit asking me questions
Disp: "So what's exactly the problem?"
Caller: "I (insert random symptom) for the past month, and now it's killing me. I need to go to the hospital now!"

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Two opportunities for field intubations today. I passed on both and managed the airway with BLS adjuncts.

OPAs really do work quite well.. Especially if you have to pair them with a soft tip cath for suction. Them things just slide.. I'd much rather do airways than what I did today ----Packing a pilonidal cavity that was open all the way to the rectum..

"I'm just gonna press on your cheek to squeeze the poop out of your cyst-hole before I irrigate it."

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

Airway management via BLS adjuncts is still airway management. If its not broken why fix it?

I've done many airways BLS adjuncts, put a towel underneath their shoulders to get good ventilation. Nurses seem to get a little antsy though.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Right. I had a tube and scope out and ready, but if they're breathing and are ventilating, I'm a little reluctant to she their airway, just cause I can.

Now, they both got tubed in the ED and I passed up two field intubations. I may hear about that. Unfortunately, airway management still comes wrapped up in the ego of medics who judge your competency by the amount of plastic you stuff into patients.

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Pulling out the Q word tonight. Been on for 6 hours and haven't had a single pt. I'm not sure how much longer I can sit in this truck. :blink:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

"Sick Person"

My favorite is the "Interfacility Transfer/Protocol 37" nonsense.

Respond to XYZ nursing home for a protocol 37.

What is the nature?

Protocol 37.

What is the nature of the 37?

Its a 37...look in the book Medic 70. Interfacility transfer.

Arrive on scene....CPR in progress.

Yea....I don't think that code is being used properly at all...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Pulling out the Q word tonight. Been on for 6 hours and haven't had a single pt. I'm not sure how much longer I can sit in this truck. :blink:

Well I'll just stretch out on my couch and curl up in my sleeping bag while it wait for my calls ;) maybe break out the xbox too

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Well I'll just stretch out on my couch and curl up in my sleeping bag while it wait for my calls ;) maybe break out the xbox too

Well aren't you a lucky one. I finally just had my first transport of the night!!! Fire couldn't believe that this was our first one of the night.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well aren't you a lucky one. I finally just had my first transport of the night!!! Fire couldn't believe that this was our first one of the night.

The joys of being at a rural 911 service. I've been on since 1900 and no calls yet. Rather odd actually. Some days we get nothing. Others I don't see base all 24 hours