the 100% directionless thread

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
RuralEMT

I would look at what is required for the certification at the FF1/2 level as of the first of the year. I finished mine last year before all the changes took place. Among the new requirments are Hazmat Awareness,Ops, Sids, Autism, and I think a few others before you can even take FF1. The bar was just raised as it should be. With the new requirements you are not permitted to test until you have your certs for the prerequsites in hand(4-6 weeks after you finish prerequistes with the way IDHS has been running). I dont know how many or what certifications you have already but most instructors will not even let you start a class unless all your prerequites done. Gone are the days of DHS holding your cert until you get the other requirements satisfied. You may want to look before you leap.

I would double check before I signed up, but I am pretty sure this class includes all prerequistes except mandatory fire

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So my school where I took EMT (but not medic) has a "First Aid" class, where reading the description, it allows you to take the EMR (Texas ECA) exam after you pass...

Can you say medic in first aid class?! Talk about an easy A.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I love reading Charles ****ens. But then I alwas was into reading classic stuff.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Apparently I'm a racist bigot for wanting to understand what tech support says to me half the time.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Apparently I'm a racist bigot for wanting to understand what tech support says to me half the time.

I got hung up on for asking for someone with the same primary language as mine and that was on the same continent that I was.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I got hung up on for asking for someone with the same primary language as mine and that was on the same continent that I was.

You ever seen that cartoon with John Wayne on the phone saying, "Now why the he:censored::censored: do I have to press one for English?"

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Dear partner: You'd convinced me you're incompetent before you failed an OPA attempt due to the patient's gag reflex. Of course she had one; you'd just found that she was rather responsive. Then you claimed I was wasting supplies when I went for the vomit bag. Then the patient threw up on you. Now you've convinced me that there is justice in the world... and the fact that you're still angry about it just proves my earlier suspicions.

Cory said:
How often do people hyperventilate from nose bleeds?

Haven't personally seen it, but it doesn't strike me as unlikely. Some people really freak out at the sight of their own blood. I've had a couple faint on me lately.

If they're having trouble breathing beyond hyperventilation, it's worth looking at the postnasal drip. Blood and mucus pouring down the throat can actually get pretty bad. If this is going on, you'll also want a vomit bag in the near future.

The zebra option for this would probably be some sort of hazmat exposure. Especially if I saw it in an industrial setting with a patient who wasn't bothered by blood, I'd start wondering.

I had one claim he couldn't understand me, though his English was actually decent. Given that I've worked in call centers without anyone else complaining, I suspect he just had a break coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
YES!!!

For the first time I managed to sell one of my ideas to the chief. And not just a minor one either. This is a historic day!!! :D

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
YES!!!

For the first time I managed to sell one of my ideas to the chief. And not just a minor one either. This is a historic day!!! :D

And what was that idea?
XD

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
And what was that idea?
XD

That the fire district really needs to get some rope rescue equipment. We are always getting vehicle over the edge calls and have had three in the last oh, two weeks and it has alwas been fun trying to get people down and patients out with three 50 foot lengths of hardwear store rope tied together. With all the training I have had in rope rescue, It was driving me batty. So I wrote up a propostion to get some stuff and he bought it. We are getting all the basic stuff we need for low and medium angle rescue situations. Hopefully I can get the high angle part through too as well as getting some fancy gear like mechanical belay, self progress capturing pullys, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I think I'm gonna take my dads old paramedic books and teach myself to read EKGs just for :censored:s and giggles, any medics have any tips.

OrlandoRMAMedic

Forum Crew Member
I think I'm gonna take my dads old paramedic books and teach myself to read EKGs just for :censored:s and giggles, any medics have any tips.

collect 4 lead and 12 lead strips from other medics (or in the LP 12 you can go back and run a code summary) and then ask a doc, or docs... or other medics to break it down. There are websites out there that can teach you all kinds of stuff and I have a power point presentation that was presented to us a few years ago that can walk you though it... if you want it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The left lower part of my back feels like someone has repeatedly beat it with a baseball bat. :glare:

I bet if we repeatedly beat the right lower part you might forget about it :p

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh..................thats all i can really say at this point.