the 100% directionless thread

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sick of snow

Send some to me. Last year at this time we had almost five feet. This year we have had about 6 inches. But we still have the cold. That has not decided to leave. Ugh! It is pushing below zero numbers here. And windy. And foggy sometimes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Send some to me. Last year at this time we had almost five feet. This year we have had about 6 inches. But we still have the cold. That has not decided to leave. Ugh! It is pushing below zero numbers here. And windy. And foggy sometimes.

Would you like a picture of what 6 inches of snow doesn't look like?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
So it's not really the cold per say, but the wind... that **** wind :angry:

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I am back from warm GA!!! B)
I did not have good internet connection where I was, I missed out on so much.
I am so glad to be back. I miss lurking about.:ph34r:

OrlandoRMAMedic

Forum Crew Member
we actually had pink and blue on the radar in central florida today - sleet and snow. Currently 36*. I feel like I am back in NY... and that isn't necessarily a bad thing...

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
we actually had pink and blue on the radar in central florida today - sleet and snow. Currently 36*. I feel like I am back in NY... and that isn't necessarily a bad thing...

do people know how to drive in that kinda weather down there? Just wondering.
Because most of the people I saw driving freaked out over a thin layer of ice on the road in areas, in GA.

OrlandoRMAMedic

Forum Crew Member
do people know how to drive in that kinda weather down there? Just wondering.
Because most of the people I saw driving freaked out over a thin layer of ice on the road in areas, in GA.

Thankfully, I did not have to work this weekend, but I will find out when I go back to work on Monday. I did hear that the ice never really formed on the roadway, just became wet like when it rains. And people down here do not know how to drive when it rains anyway, so I am sure there were a few MVC's as a result of the sleet and snow today.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Thankfully, I did not have to work this weekend, but I will find out when I go back to work on Monday. I did hear that the ice never really formed on the roadway, just became wet like when it rains. And people down here do not know how to drive when it rains anyway, so I am sure there were a few MVC's as a result of the sleet and snow today.

If they can't drive in rain imagine what a nightmare it would be if it did ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Mock Winter SAR Drill tomarrow with a total of 5 agencies participating (SAR, County Fire, Forest Service, Private Ski Patrol, and Volunteer Ski Patrol). Have to be up by 0400 on Sunday. Gonna be hard to get to bed and get a little sleep. Plus they are forcing all SAR folks to take on command roles that we are unfamiliar with since in real life SAR will be the last to respond to missing skiiers/snowboarders, but the agency with the ultimate legal resposibility to run the call and therefore in charge. Oh JOY!!! I get to run logistics... blah... :glare:

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
Stop crying- when I left for a house fire this morning it was 9 below

i hear that. and our high today a whooping 3. yay for the heat wave. i never thought id be excited for highs in the 40's for next week. WTF?!?!?!?

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Indiana follows the same pattern every year:
First it gets freakin cold and the roads snow shut. Then come spring the snow melts, it rains alot, and the rivers start flooding.

Which would you all choose: Running a call in negative temperatures or sand bagging all night?