Talking to your partner.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I guess then I must be pretty well blessed in this regard. I've usually been able to conversate with my partners over the years unless I actually had a serious personality conflict with them. To the best of my recollection, that only ever happened once. I still keep up with those younger than I through my current job. I have to be able to talk to the public... of all ages from about, well, 4 through almost dead. ;)

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'll talk when people talk to me, but I'm usually pretty quiet. I hate the small talk. Some of my partners I click with, but others there's no point in trying.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's my favorite pastime with toolbag partners, and I've become quite good at it :lol:

I've got to say, I'm pretty lucky when it comes to partners. At my pt ambulance, just about everyone that works there is cool to work with, and my entire crew of 8 at my fd is awesome. It's a very rare occasion now that I work with somebody I don't enjoy.

I realized I sound like a total *** from my response. In the morning I don't so well, not a morning person, never have been. After I get some coffee, food and usually some Copenhagen (cue: lecture) I'm a Chatty Cathy. If you want to talk I'll talk to you all day provided you can have an intelligent conversation. I can definitely be an *** to make someone shut up too though.

I'm the same way, haven't really worked with anyone I didn't get along with, obviously, again mostly in SSM systems but I'm sure it happens in the firehouse too, you get annoyed with each other from time to time. It helps being flexible with music too. I'll listen to mostly anything.

ABC, that sucks about your radio. I know you're station based but I bet those rides home from the hospital are reaaaalllllllly long.

I agree with desert too though, working SSM with the same partner there's really only so much you can talk about. I don't mind sitting and watching a movie or listening to music or the game on the radio.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I was lucky that when I worked SSM I had a decent partner that I got along with. When I worked 48s, a good partner was a godsend. I only worked with a couple of guys that I didn't really get along with... But we still had a good shift.

Now, my shifts are 12 hours at a station. If I'm not in a chatty mood, I can always go somewhere else in the house. I mean, it's only 12 hours. But, I actually get along pretty well with just about everyone in my department.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
So far today I fixed the radio (woot!) and am struggling to be interested in the whining of this 22 yo working a $30k/yr job not get lender approval for a $220k construction loan.

Only 21 hours left.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hahaha. Those are gonna be some long hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
Working for me = one of productive time to study. I try to get introductions done as fast as possible preferably while checking the ambulance. I despise anyone who wants to run radio full blast during down time. In that case I am in the back reading my books.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
whats ssm

System Status Management or Status System Management depending on who you talk to.

It's where you post on street corners or general areas depending on status levels (how many ambulances are available to take a call). We will change locations to hopefully cut down on response times when there is low coverage in an area.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
System Status Management or Status System Management depending on who you talk to.

It's where you post on street corners or general areas depending on status levels (how many ambulances are available to take a call). We will change locations to hopefully cut down on response times when there is low coverage in an area.

Basically the same things as move-ups. Only you're not going to another station.

To the OP, I've usually not had issues with personality conflicts. One of my departments has about a 45 minute transport time or more, so the ride back can be chatty. Or it might just be quiet as everyone wants a bit of rest and to keep their thoughts to themselves. But that doesn't mean we don't get along. I've not had any problems making conversation with the other 40 guys on the department when I've wanted to chat.

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I am so lucky. I work for 2 squads and get along great with everyone. Its pretty nice to know you get to go to work and hang out for 12 or more hours with a friend. We can get chatty sometimes and have our quiet times also....its not that awkward silence or anything. I honestly enjoy everyone I work with. Some more than others but we all get along pretty good.