Talking to your partner.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
For a long time I've had a steady stream of partners with whom chatting came easily. I just got a new partner who is relatively new to EMS, intimidated and fearful about many many aspects of the job, and with whom I don't have much in common. Silence reigns.

How much silence is there in your ambulance? We have an hour to drive back from the hospital, and I would love to sit and play online, listen to stuff in one earbud, etc.

How does this work for you guys?

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
My current partner is a huge Whacker and it disgusts me. Silence reigns. And he has never gained my trust driving. So I drive about 90% of the time unless I'm teching.

Upside: the 6 month bid is almost over. Time for a new partner.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I work SSM so there is only so much I can say to a partner in the 12 hours that I am in the ambulance with them. There is often times well over an hour of complete silence.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
shhh

I have a current partner that talks way too much. And only about topics a 13yo would have interest in. I have had a partner in the past that would go 12 hours and say ten words. I switched him out after a few weeks... Just need to find a balance in between

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Depends. My last three partners and I were like two peas in a pod. Non stop shenanigans for 12 hours unless someone was sleeping.

Current partner hasn't figured out that I'm not talkative in the morning until I get food and some coffee then I wake up a little bit. She's a nervous talker too and just rambles constantly.

I'm all for talking but when I'm trying to chart or sleep...shut up!

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Long silent times make me feel mean. Like I should have something to talk about buy totally don't.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Current partner hasn't figured out that I'm not talkative in the morning until I get food and some coffee then I wake up a little bit. She's a nervous talker too and just rambles constantly.

I'm all for talking but when I'm trying to chart or sleep...shut up!

This.

The standing rule is before 10am is quiet time. No loud noises. After ten is party time.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Silence is therapeutic for me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This.

The standing rule is before 10am is quiet time. No loud noises. After ten is party time.

Sounds like wed get along pretty damn well then!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

I'm fine in the mornings I get on, but the next morning when I get off I don't want to hear or say a word.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I have absolutely NOTHING in common with my current partner, and its a challenge. Whether its age, background, music preferences, dress, etc, we are almost polar opposites.

I'm a lot older than him, grew up on a farm in a remote area, left home at 17 and went right into the military, and have worked in other fields besides EMS, and work in a hospital in addition to my EMT gig. His pre EMS life consists of a brief part time job at BestBuy, and high school, and hes never lived outside of the suburbs.

What passes for conversation with him is him complaining about living with his mom, talking about his continuous "hook ups", which is made all the more awkward by the fact most of them are almost young enough to be my daughter, his aspiring MMA career, and the latest video games or movies. Its like hes a walking talking caricature of every negative stereotype of "millenials".

The other day he asks me about my time in the military and my deployments, and then with a straight face says he probably has PTSD from doing this job. We do mostly IFTs and the occasional priority 3 call in the ghetto lol. Its times like that where Im not sure if hes joking or not, and I'll assume he is, only to have him get pissed off at me. Its gotten to the point Ill intentionally try to piss him off so itll shut him up for a while.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Its gotten to the point Ill intentionally try to piss him off so itll shut him up for a while.

That's my favorite pastime with toolbag partners, and I've become quite good at it :lol:

I've got to say, I'm pretty lucky when it comes to partners. At my pt ambulance, just about everyone that works there is cool to work with, and my entire crew of 8 at my fd is awesome. It's a very rare occasion now that I work with somebody I don't enjoy.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
What's all this silence you guys speak of?
That's what the radio(as in AM/FM/XM) is for. Turn that :censored::censored::censored::censored: up.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have absolutely NOTHING in common with my current partner, and its a challenge. Whether its age, background, music preferences, dress, etc, we are almost polar opposites.

I'm a lot older than him, grew up on a farm in a remote area, left home at 17 and went right into the military, and have worked in other fields besides EMS, and work in a hospital in addition to my EMT gig. His pre EMS life consists of a brief part time job at BestBuy, and high school, and hes never lived outside of the suburbs.

What passes for conversation with him is him complaining about living with his mom, talking about his continuous "hook ups", which is made all the more awkward by the fact most of them are almost young enough to be my daughter, his aspiring MMA career, and the latest video games or movies. Its like hes a walking talking caricature of every negative stereotype of "millenials".

The other day he asks me about my time in the military and my deployments, and then with a straight face says he probably has PTSD from doing this job. We do mostly IFTs and the occasional priority 3 call in the ghetto lol. Its times like that where Im not sure if hes joking or not, and I'll assume he is, only to have him get pissed off at me. Its gotten to the point Ill intentionally try to piss him off so itll shut him up for a while.

This is it! I'm stuck with him for quite a while, I'm trying to figure out how to train him to be a better conversationalist.

I do enjoy a nice conversation. I really miss my old partner.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
What's all this silence you guys speak of?
That's what the radio(as in AM/FM/XM) is for. Turn that :censored::censored::censored::censored: up.

County: cheap. Radio: broke. I can stream pandora on my earbuds and that's about it. It sucks.