Stryker Power Load System

Breakers1

Forum Ride Along
power lift for fatties

It works awesome ! ! Never lift again. My only problem is a 700lb patient lifted all the way up to auto load makes the stretcher top heavy.Make sure you're on flat ground

Tsbemt

Forum Probie
We've had one for a few months it's a bit heavy it's worth it

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So what happens if it breaks down? There must be a manual override system, but it seems like it could create a huge hassle if the system went down.

It is pretty sweet though.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
So what happens if it breaks down? There must be a manual override system, but it seems like it could create a huge hassle if the system went down.

It is pretty sweet though.

Most common failure is a dead battery, and is works just like the regular one, only its heavier. Works a little slower because of the gears, too.

Worth it, IMO.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hmm. You would think they would tie it into the ambulance's power system rather than use batteries.

I agree it does seem worth it in the fact of reducing lift related injuries. Heavy/tall patient we always just two-point the end of the stretcher. The power stretchers are awesome. Seems like a much smoother ride for the pt though.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hmm. You would think they would tie it into the ambulance's power system rather than use batteries.

I agree it does seem worth it in the fact of reducing lift related injuries. Heavy/tall patient we always just two-point the end of the stretcher. The power stretchers are awesome. Seems like a much smoother ride for the pt though.

It charges when its locked in the cot bracket, if your inverter works.

As for a ride in the truck, there's no difference.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I meant loading/unloading. "couple of bumps comin' out" with the standard stryker load system in my experience.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
whoa!... power cots awesome..

this.... mind=blown

good for weaklings like me lol

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

With the power stretchers why not two man load every patient?

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
With the power stretchers why not two man load every patient?

In a perfect world that would happen. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
what happens if you're unloading on uneven ground, or are parked on a hill? Does it release (or "unhook") the stretcher automatically, or is that a separate motion (for once you're ready)?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
In a perfect world that would happen. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

We're in a less than perfect world and our crews do it every time. In the next few months it becomes policy. I've yet to see a load where it wasn't possible.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We're in a less than perfect world and our crews do it every time. In the next few months it becomes policy. I've yet to see a load where it wasn't possible.

Then who stops the legs and wheels from slamming into the ground breaking the bearings in the wheels from repeated abuse?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Then who stops the legs and wheels from slamming into the ground breaking the bearings in the wheels from repeated abuse?

With the new Stryker power gurney the X frame is all hydraulic. Meaning their is a kind of back pressure in the hydraulic system that allows the wheels to glide slowly to the ground and not damage anything. Our policy on the power gurney is 2 man lifting the load and unload. For the manual it's 1 man on the grips and 1 on the bottom of the X-frame when possible. For bigger patients in the worst case we "hot drop" it. Better to break a price of equipment then to destroy our backs.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
With the new Stryker power gurney the X frame is all hydraulic. Meaning their is a kind of back pressure in the hydraulic system that allows the wheels to glide slowly to the ground and not damage anything. Our policy on the power gurney is 2 man lifting the load and unload. For the manual it's 1 man on the grips and 1 on the bottom of the X-frame when possible. For bigger patients in the worst case we "hot drop" it. Better to break a price of equipment then to destroy our backs.

This is what I was trying to say. The only manual cot we have left is a Stryker bariatric wide body cot. It is winched in and out of the unit on ramps though. We send at least 4 people on calls with it so there are at least 4 to raise and lower it.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
My squad is looking to get one of these systems. does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good?

northernnhmedic

Forum Probie
1. What's the cost for the system?
2. How long is the warranty for a unit?
3. What is the expected lifespan of a unit?
4. How hard is it to manually override the system when it breaks?
5. What is the weight limit?
6. According to the brochure, the system includes inductive charging of the gurney. Will the constant charging/cycling damage the battery?

I saw it at a conference near me about a month ago, and I love it. I was drooling. I was told that the weight limit is supposed to be 850 pounds, which takes into account the stretchers weight limit of 700, plus the stretcher itself and the various equipment we load onto it. The system is expected to cost around $20,000 to $25,000 for a new system, or upwards of $30,000 to retrofit those services that currently have stryker power stretchers. As far as manual override goes, if I remember properly, it was fairly simple and easy to do do when needed, but this was nearly a month ago.