CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
That is not how Riverside gets paid. They are 12 hours of regular pay. After 12 they get overtime or after 40 hours per week.

Hemet and Palm Springs (the non-Union divisions) get 8 hours normal pay, 4 hours OT, after 12 it’s double time.
Really?? Literally was told today that they got paid the way Hemet does. That really sucks then.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Are there fire ALS responders in Riverside? Like how does it work?
All fire is ALS. 911 call gets both an ALS engine and ALS ambulance, either lights and sirens or no lights and sirens depending on EMD status.

Whoever arrives first has control of patient care until a provider with a higher level of certification arrives or the transporting paramedic arrives.

So if the ambulance arrives first they will have all control of patient care from the time of patient contact until patient hand over to the ED. If fire arrives first they will have control until the ambulance arrives at which time they must had over patient care as soon as possible.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Really?? Literally was told today that they got paid the way Hemet does. That really sucks then.
Unless something has changed in the past 9+ years and I have not been informed about it.

Riverside division has slightly higher hourly wages because they are on straight pay for their normal shifts. Hemet and Palm Springs have slightly lower hourly pay but due to the built in OT on each shift their pay is equal to Riversides.

OP
OP
AlexTheChamberlain

AlexTheChamberlain

Forum Probie
Riverside is demanding 22/hr for emt and 28 for medics starting from what I was told and the op gave a decent counter, but they haven’t said what it is.
Just because they're demanding it, doesn't mean they'll get it. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they break $21 for medic. Which, even at that rate, easily makes them the highest paid in the region. I'd love to see them pull ahead after the dust settles, I'm just not getting hyped for union promises.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Any walk-in leadership opportunities out thataway?

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Just because they're demanding it, doesn't mean they'll get it. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they break $21 for medic. Which, even at that rate, easily makes them the highest paid in the region. I'd love to see them pull ahead after the dust settles, I'm just not getting hyped for union promises.
No we all laughed at that, but shoot high and expect them to low ball you, just like selling something on Craigslist you always list it higher then you know it’s worth so when someone comes in a tries to low ball you it’s closer to what you actually want it for.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No we all laughed at that, but shoot high and expect them to low ball you, just like selling something on Craigslist you always list it higher then you know it’s worth so when someone comes in a tries to low ball you it’s closer to what you actually want it for.
Union: we want $22/hr and $28/hr
AMR: we’ll give you $14/hr and $17/hr and a bag of chips

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Jesus, the steps in Hall. How long does it take to bump up a step?

Also. I'm a step 5 at AMR. If I transfer operations, do I keep my same step?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Jesus, the steps in Hall. How long does it take to bump up a step?
A while. They pride themselves on long-term employment, sometimes to a fault.
Also. I'm a step 5 at AMR. If I transfer operations, do I keep my same step?
I'm guessing it's all dependent on both your negotiation skills, and the division you're trying to transfer over to.

RocketMedic

So Hall likes long-term employees- would "I want to be a professional paramedic forever here!" be a good thing to lead off with?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Question regarding Hall pay rates, do you start at step 1 automatically or do they place you based on experience?

RocketMedic

It’s not Hall, but American quoted 18.68 an hour for a 10 year medic.

Santa Barbara recently hired a 10+ year medic.

$22 an hour on a 24 hour shift, $32 on a 12

In an area with very low call volume compared to the other areas mentioned.

And you can give EMTs 911 calls you deem BLS.

Not much further than Bakersfield. Also, it's not Bakersfield.

OT is unlimited. Plus they have an oil platform medic shift, which pays double-time at 12 hour rate. Those are also unlimited. People are making a killing.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
I forgot about those cities.....but I agree. I was stationed at Vandenberg but never really stayed in Lompoc except for the skydiving and Santa Maria was not much to write home about either....everything else you mentioned was fun to travel to for day trip and such.

Only I dislike about living in Central Cali, State taxes and outrageous vehicle registration prices.
Sorry for the late reply, but before you consider moving from Texas to California, talk to the former AMR Santa Barbara medics that have moved to Texas. The pay there is good compared to other AMR ops, but the cost of living, especially in south county, is high. There are reasonably priced areas, but I'm not sure if you want to live in Lompoc or Santa Maria...

Not to mention, the scope of practice isn't great, the county medical director is less than progressive, the retirement is a 401k plan and the county is starting the process to issue an RFP for ambulance service.