Somethings wrong here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
With all due respect, basics don't know jack about medicine. I am not saying that to be mean, I am just being real. Basics know next to nothing about clinical medicine.

Paramedics, although they are not as well-versed in the education behind what it is they are doing as an RN or an MD, they still have about 100x the education of a 120 hour EMT-B. Don't let the fact that you didn't have to study to pass EMT-B fool you into thinking the same would be true of EMT-P, RN, or PA.

If you don't believe me, just enroll.

Well where i am Medics dont do :censored::censored::censored::censored:. 1 out of 10 calls a medic will be in the back of the truck.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well where i am Medics dont do :censored::censored::censored::censored:. 1 out of 10 calls a medic will be in the back of the truck.

That doesn't change the fact that their educational level is 10x that of a basic.

8jimi8

CFRN
That doesn't change the fact that their educational level is 10x that of a basic.

Quite literally... 1,200 hours versus 120 ways to put on a bandaid...

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps I am going about this all wrong. Lampnyter, what exactly do you think is covered in Paramedic and Nursing school topic-wise?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
You people are taking this the wrong way. Im not trying to say i can get through life by not doing any work. I just want to know how can i do absolutely nothing yet some people fail after studying for so long.

To try to answer your actual question, we might need more information. Is it like this for pretty much anything you study, or only easy topics, or only medicine-related topics, or what? If you're like this for just about any topic, then you are just naturally far better than the average person at retaining and comprehending information you see or hear (what is presented to you in lecture format in the class). If you're like this for medicine-related topics than I'd venture to guess you have some kind of natural talent for medicine or first-aid.

As others have said, there will most likely come a point where you will not be doing nearly as well unless you start actually studying.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

This sounds to me like your attitude sucks, but I could be wrong.

I think maybe they know when YOU can be in the back with the patient and they don't have to be. I don't think you're ready to step into their shoes.

No, it ain't rocket science but if you're going to be any good at anything, you've got to be willing to work a little so you can reach beyond your OWN capacity.

If you're that damned smart then just think how wise you'd become if you actually DID apply yourself!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
With all due respect, basics don't know jack about medicine. I am not saying that to be mean, I am just being real. Basics know next to nothing about clinical medicine.

Paramedics, although they are not as well-versed in the education behind what it is they are doing as an RN or an MD, they still have about 100x the education of a 120 hour EMT-B. Don't let the fact that you didn't have to study to pass EMT-B fool you into thinking the same would be true of EMT-P, RN, or PA.

If you don't believe me, just enroll.

With all due respect, you're statement would be more accurate if you had said, "Basics aren't required to know jack about medicine." It is an incorrect oversimplification (or perhaps stereotyping) to say that basics don't know anything about medicine. With no other qualifier, the assumption is you mean all EMT-Bs. I know an EMT-B who is also a PA. I'd be willing to bet he knows more medicine than most paramedics.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Quite literally... 1,200 hours versus 120 ways to put on a bandaid...

I wasn't even taught one way to put on a bandaid in my EMT-B class. Instead they taught us all kinds of other things like patient assessment, CPR, splinting, pressure dressings, C-spine stabilizing, patient positioning, suctioning, etc.

Boy am I sure glad the class was free because I'd be very angry if I paid to learn all that crap when I was really supposed to be getting taught 120 ways to put on a bandaid. :rolleyes:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
With all due respect, you're statement would be more accurate if you had said, "Basics aren't required to know jack about medicine." It is an incorrect oversimplification (or perhaps stereotyping) to say that basics don't know anything about medicine. With no other qualifier, the assumption is you mean all EMT-Bs. I know an EMT-B who is also a PA. I'd be willing to bet he knows more medicine than most paramedics.

You know as well as I do that I was speaking with regard to the education of the average "EMT-Basic", no need to twist my words, friend.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
You people are taking this the wrong way. Im not trying to say i can get through life by not doing any work. I just want to know how can i do absolutely nothing yet some people fail after studying for so long.

I think we all took this the right way, to me it says, "Look at me, I'm a Jacka$$."

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
You know as well as I do that I was speaking with regard to the education of the average "EMT-Basic", no need to twist my words, friend.

I didn't twist your words—I quoted them and responded to what you actually said. Perhaps you know what you meant and you assume that everybody else will also automatically assume you meant what you say you meant, but what you say you meant isn't what you actually said.

Most people really need to be more carefully with what they actually say, and make sure they're saying what they actually mean.

Because when you say "These people don't know anything about this topic" you are most certainly not saying "The average person in this group doesn't know very much about this topic". You're saying "All people in this group know nothing about this topic."

So if you mean to say "The average person in this group doesn't know very much about this topic" then perhaps that's what you should say.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't twist your words—I quoted them and responded to what you actually said. Perhaps you know what you meant and you assume that everybody else will also automatically assume you meant what you say you meant, but what you say you meant isn't what you actually said.

Most people really need to be more carefully with what they actually say, and make sure they're saying what they actually mean.

Because when you say "These people don't know anything about this topic" you are most certainly not saying "The average person in this group doesn't know very much about this topic". You're saying "All people in this group know nothing about this topic."

So if you mean to say "The average person in this group doesn't know very much about this topic" then perhaps that's what you should say.

Fine, name one EMT-B curriculum that is 1200 hours.

EMT-B is a 120 hour course intended to take lay people and turn them into medical providers, nothing more.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
No, for posting what you did. No need to start a "look at me thread" or brag about your test scores. On a side note, what is "your all"?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Fine, name one EMT-B curriculum that is 1200 hours.

EMT-B is a 120 hour course intended to take lay people and turn them into medical providers, nothing more.

I never indicated that there is any EMT-B course that's 1200 hours in length, so I have no idea why you would ask me to name one.

Your definition of the EMT-B course is acceptable to me, even though for me, it's technically incorrect. (In Maryland, it's a 131-hour course.) But this definition is also irrelevant to what you said, or to my response to it, or your counter-response, and my counter-counter response. It's like you're trying to end an argument about apples vs. oranges by mentioning that bananas are also fruit.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This thread has gone far enough off topic, so let's get it back on topic please.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I graduated first in my class.........but let's face it the competition wasn't exactly fierce. I was a big fish in a very small pond. Blow through PA school as easily as you say you blew through emt class and then I'll be impressed :) I'm pretty sure I'll stick with medical practitioners who read their books though.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
No, for posting what you did. No need to start a "look at me thread" or brag about your test scores. On a side note, what is "your all"?

Well if people are failing a course that is as easy as everybody says and that some people didnt even study for than maybe they should pick another profession or go back to high school.

And im not trying to impress anyone.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
But why is it your place to bring this to everyones' attention?

It is not up to you to decide if a thread belongs here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.