Somethings wrong here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
When i took my MRT and EMT-B class i not once studied for a test. I never opened my book or took much notes and passed all my tests and practicals. I see all these people spending hours and hours studying and reading yet still failing tests. I didnt study for the NREMT test either and passed first time. Am i a bad EMT? Am i the worlds luckiest person?

emt-mike

Forum Crew Member
I'm pretty much the same way, but I think I have a photographic memory, and never missed a class, so I absorbed what the teacher was saying pretty well,
I wouldn't say I NEVER studied, but I definitely didn't have to work as hard as the rest of the kids.
I think as long as you know your sh*t then it shouldn't matter how hard or easy it came to you.

8jimi8

CFRN
When i took my MRT and EMT-B class i not once studied for a test. I never opened my book or took much notes and passed all my tests and practicals. I see all these people spending hours and hours studying and reading yet still failing tests. I didnt study for the NREMT test either and passed first time. Am i a bad EMT? Am i the worlds luckiest person?

You won't be a GOOD Paramedic if you keep your study habits like this. I understand lots of people learn many different ways.

My very strong wish is that if you wish to advance to an ALS certification, you would please read your textbook at least once.

With the responsibility of people lives in your hand, please treat your preparation with the respect it deserves.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
You won't be a GOOD Paramedic if you keep your study habits like this. I understand lots of people learn many different ways.

My very strong wish is that if you wish to advance to an ALS certification, you would please read your textbook at least once.

With the responsibility of people lives in your hand, please treat your preparation with the respect it deserves.

I plan on becoming a Nurse or PA.

8jimi8

CFRN
I plan on becoming a Nurse or PA.

you can apply my previous statement to those career paths as well.

On a side note, everyone who "didn't have to read" in my nursing program failed out within 2 semesters.

Maybe you are a photographic memory genius. Maybe you only have to hear the information.

But bragging about lack of didactic preparation is pretty much telling me....

look how unprofessional I am. Sure I know there are rules... but i never bothered to read them.... I was too smart for that...

with all due respect. I know i don't know you, but you have to understand how that sounds to someone who painstakingly read preparatory course materials.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Im not trying to brag, im just wondering why i did so well, because i honestly dont know and i sincerely feel bad that i passed so easily.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Have you seen the new cirriculum? It requires more of an effort on the part of the student. A good student with a decent high school reading level could have passed the previous course by just listening and reading. Not so much anymore :>)

8jimi8

CFRN
Im not trying to brag, im just wondering why i did so well, because i honestly dont know and i sincerely feel bad that i passed so easily.

Fair enough... so many of these conversations would be so much quicker over a beer.

The answer to you query is that it was easy because it was learning advanced first aid.

The concepts presented to the EMT-B quite simple and often oversimplified in their dissemination.

Don't worry, Big Dog, you'll be cracking those books sooner or later.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Have you seen the new cirriculum? It requires more of an effort on the part of the student. A good student with a decent high school reading level could have passed the previous course by just listening and reading. Not so much anymore :>)

How new?

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking as a teacher.....everyone has a level where they hit a wall and have to study the material in any class, learning any subject.

You'll find your wall. Hopefully you can see it coming before it causes you to fail a big exam.

It's better to get in the habit of studying NOW, while you can easily comprehend things, than it is to try and learn how you best study when the material is over your head.

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Basic was cake, never had to study or do that much reading as well. Now that I'm working on my Oregon Intermediate course, It's a completely different ball game. Looking back it looks like the bulk of Basic class is learning simple facts and techniques. When you get into more advanced levels of care you know have to know a ton more simple facts but fewer techniques but also have to be able to apply them with a higher level of critical thinking skills.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Basic class is *easy*. I never studied either. Go take college A&P and see how well never reading the book works there.

OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
You people are taking this the wrong way. Im not trying to say i can get through life by not doing any work. I just want to know how can i do absolutely nothing yet some people fail after studying for so long.

8jimi8

CFRN
You people are taking this the wrong way. Im not trying to say i can get through life by not doing any work. I just want to know how can i do absolutely nothing yet some people fail after studying for so long.

Chalk it up to learning differences, or you just being smarter. I took my emt-basic online while I was in nursing school. I didn't have instructors forcefeeding me information, so I had to acquire it myself.

The material was ridonkulously easy tho. Its like saying you clepped out of 8th grade reading class.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Good on ya, you passed a test!

Now go out and learn how little you know.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, ive been told by many medics i am one of the most competent basics they have worked with. So thank you, i think i am a very good basic.

With all due respect, basics don't know jack about medicine. I am not saying that to be mean, I am just being real. Basics know next to nothing about clinical medicine.

Paramedics, although they are not as well-versed in the education behind what it is they are doing as an RN or an MD, they still have about 100x the education of a 120 hour EMT-B. Don't let the fact that you didn't have to study to pass EMT-B fool you into thinking the same would be true of EMT-P, RN, or PA.

If you don't believe me, just enroll.

8jimi8

CFRN
with all due respect, basics don't know jack about medicine. I am not saying that to be mean, i am just being real. Basics know next to nothing about clinical medicine.

Paramedics, although they are not as well-versed in the education behind what it is they are doing as an rn or an md, they still have about 100x the education of a 120 hour emt-b. Don't let the fact that you didn't have to study to pass emt-b fool you into thinking the same would be true of emt-p, rn, or pa.

If you don't believe me, just enroll.

service!

Status
Not open for further replies.