Somethings wrong here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
lampnyter

lampnyter

Forum Captain
But why is it your place to bring this to everyones' attention?

Its not. All i wanted to know is what can possibly make the EMT class so hard that people are failing while i passed so easily.

If i wanted to brag or impress anybody i would say im like Doogie Howser.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Most of the classes I have taken have felt very easy to me as well. In my case it's because I spend a lot of time with my face in a book regardless of whether I think I know and understand the information. When it comes to exam time I am over-prepared which makes the tests seem like a breeze.

I've been through paramedic (a hard class at that) and I've been 3/4 they way through a four-year degree for two years (I just figured out what I want to be when I grow up). I probably do not need to hit the books so hard but the PA program I want to attend has 35 spots for well over 500 applicants making a seriously high GPA a priority. Not to mention the fact that I never wanted to just be an EMT, or just be a paramedic, or even just be a PA; I wanted and want to be the best. To be the best takes effort.

No offense, but you come off as a bragging about you mad no-need-to-study skills but your posts are a grammatical nightmare to read. You might be an awesome EMT but can you write an awesome PCR? It's all a part of the job. Seriously though, if your intention is to continue your education to nursing or a PA program you better be prepared to crack not one, but a ton of books throughout college.

Some areas are beginning to phase out hiring of nurses with associate's degrees in favor of BSN graduates. Nearly all of my BSN friends spent an average of five full-time years working on their degrees. They busted their butts and they are all wicked smart.

Another common misconception I have run into at work with fellow EMT's (not so much medics) is the idea that PA is some magically little school much like most paramedic programs. That is not at all accurate. The PA program is an intensive master's degree program which means you will have had to have completed a bachelors prior to consideration. It's not a cake-walk.

I don't think anyone here means to bust your chops, but I think they are all correct in their responses. You should study, whether you think you know it or not. You shouldn't brag about how easy this comes to you. You also shouldn't brag about how awesome an EMT you are because honestly that's like calling yourself a champion band-aid slinger. Talk is cheap. No one wants to hear how awesome you are, they want to see it, and they don't want to have to continue to fill your need for validation about your awesomeness.

People hate cocky paramedics and they really hate cocky EMTs.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Well if people are failing a course that is as easy as everybody says and that some people didnt even study for than maybe they should pick another profession or go back to high school.

And im not trying to impress anyone.

I have worked with a lot of EMT-Bs that, to me, I couldn't imagine they're able to tie their shoes let alone pass EMT-B. Yet just because someone appears in general to be "stupid", or of less-than-average intelligence, doesn't mean they're not capable of reading something and recognizing the one correct answer out of a list of four possibilities on a multiple-choice test.

I have seen the opposite happen as well. I have seen people who appeared to be very smart or very intelligent fail out of EMT-B class. Some people are really terrible at taking tests, or totally crack under pressure.

The ability to pass an EMT-B course doesn't mean the person is smart, or intelligent. Failing an EMT-B course doesn't mean the person isn't smart, or isn't intelligent.

But for all that, I will say this. If you can pass EMT-B, or indeed any subject, based only on the information presented in lectures, imagine how much better you would be if you actually learned all the information including the many, many facts and details presented in the text book that never get mentioned in class!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
And im not trying to impress anyone.

Sure you are your just not doing a very good job of it. ;) Your 18 though so I'll cut you some slack. It's natural to feel pride over accomplishing something and the fact that you are an emt at 18 is great. I wish I had done it when I was 18 but I waited till I was.......well I'm not 18. But if you want to make friends in this profession it might be a Good idea to save the bragging for the ladies cuz your colleagues know better :)

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, ive been told by many medics i am one of the most competent basics they have worked with. So thank you, i think i am a very good basic.

a little humility will go a long way... !

it's great you didn't have to study for basic. it's not a rarity.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sure you are your just not doing a very good job of it. ;) Your 18 though so I'll cut you some slack. It's natural to feel pride over accomplishing something and the fact that you are an emt at 18 is great. I wish I had done it when I was 18 but I waited till I was.......well I'm not 18. But if you want to make friends in this profession it might be a Good idea to save the bragging for the ladies cuz your colleagues know better :)

I'm not sure where your at, but EMS stories do nothing for the ladies here haha.

Certain subjects are easier for some. Good luck with PA school. I thought about that route.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And that's enough of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.