So what do you guys do to stay in shape?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
so would everyone reccomend the P90X?

me... Protein heavy diet and cardio to keep off the love handles... ususally running on the track or tread.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
Damn. 240 Crunches all in one setting? how much are you resting in between sets? I do sets of 30 w/ 30sec rest in between. 3 set of regulars and 1 set of obliques.

I do 10 seconds between angles. then 1 min between sets. Really the way i do it its closer to three sets of sixty. Hard to explain...I do one to work each side and one to do the front..

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
Are you doing 240 reps of curls and lat lifts too?

No, I usually do 5 sets of 20. I am a larger guy to begin with, so I am not worried about gaining mass, just getting back in shape...

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
yo. New guy.
Swim or Run + Steam room ~ 2hr
or
martial arts~ 1hr :ph34r:
3-4times a week.

Protein heavy diet and alot of water.

Water is key..(mountain dew addict) I use some of those flavor packets and drink at least a gallon a day if possible. Also at least 20 oz of lowfat milk. good stuff!!

Last edited by a moderator:

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Just started goin back to gym....

Tuesdays-30min on elliptical and 5 min on stair climber.

Thursdays-30 min on elliptical, biceps,back,lats and triceps.

Saturdays-30 min on elliptical, calves,glutes, quads.

I also go on Sundays occasionally.... depends if im in the mood or how big my honey-do list is....

usually do low weight and keep pushin til i cant push anymore.I have cut waaaay back on the soda and fast food. I am drinking close to 80-100 oz of water a day, plus if i do drink soda i have switched to caffeine free, and Fresca or Sprite.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
me... Protein heavy diet and cardio to keep off the love handles... ususally running on the track or tread.

what kind of protien are you talking about?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I need to start my other stress reliever/stay in shape activity... Paintball! I haven't played in forever

Katiedid

Forum Ride Along
Swimming, surfing, running, biking, yoga, burpies, squats and a variety of sit ups and push ups. Eat helthy and natural. Organic is better then coventional. DRINK LOTS OF WATER and dont forget to smile :)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Run lots. As much as I hate running while I am out there, it feels really good when you are done and it also really helps your endurance and whole body/core strength. That has come in handy more than once on fire scenes and back country SARs.

For strength and stuff like that, I just do various calisthenics, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, dips, and the variations on those, etc. Works really good if you stick to it. You don't bulk up much, but you get the strength. (So if you are after looks, this won't work so good.)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In addition to my normal routine, which is a combo of Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and crossfit type metcon, I also do around 30-40 mins of hard kettlebell metcon in the station gym prior to the start of my shift.

I use 2 28kg bells, do sets of 6 thrusters x 10 rounds, currently with 45 secs rest in between. Then I do 6 pullups, followed by 10 cycles of 2 handed swing to goblet squat, 10 reps, also 45 sec rest between sets.

My alternate routine is kb snatch 12 reps rt side, rest 30 secs, 12 reps left side, for as long as I can go, maybe for 20 mins or so. After failure, I'll rest 1 minute and do 6 one arm thrusters and 6 left arm thrusters for 6-8 rounds as a finisher, 45 second rest between sets.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
No P90X junk either.

I stay in shape by making my lifestyle my hobbie. Going for the results is one thing, but most of us don't necessarily like doing what it takes to get the results which is why we don't stick with it and lose all that we have gained. So my hobbie is going to the gym. I look forward to it because I love going to the gym. Some guys hunt, fish, and/or golf. I workout.

Continuous expressive interaction activities with a close, co-habitating friend. :p

Practice makes perfect. It's great cardio. Technique is everything. Only thing is warm up before, cool down after, and pace yourself. Pace yourself. Pace yourself. Pace yourself. Don't want to throw your back out.

SA_Medic

Forum Probie
I am an avid Paintball player and regularly head up the mountains for a few hours / days hiking

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
I run. Marathons and pretty soon ultramarathons. I've just got to get over the messed up ankle first.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
We keep a curling bar at the station, and I train in brazilian jiu-jitsu 3-4 times a week. unfortunately i suck at it and will be lucky to ever get my blue belt....

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
We keep a curling bar at the station, and I train in brazilian jiu-jitsu 3-4 times a week. unfortunately i suck at it and will be lucky to ever get my blue belt....

An hour or two of class aren't enough. You don't spend nearly enough time rolling. You need to get together with a few classmates and drill moves - armbars, mount escapes, combos, whatever. Make it second nature. Train your guard by holding it from a heavy bag, and progressing to heavy bag situps. Train you grip with Gi pullups. Drill burpees until you die. Do rosstraining.com type metcon to the point that you're a machine. Keep threatening submissions, and generally tire them out. Then you can do whatever you want. You know, the point where your opponent takes a big gulp of air and then sighs, that's your cue to put it on them. Keep at it. A blue belt knows most of the moves, going purple-brown-black is only a matter of learning the chess game.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
what kind of protien are you talking about?

meats mostly. Steak, Chicken, Fish. but I throw in some veggies here and there.