So what do you guys do to stay in shape?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I ride my bike as much and as far as the weather will allow me. I do hundredpushups.com, twohundredsitups.com and twohundredsquats.com every week. Try to eat as healthy I can, pay attention to what I'm buying in the store, cut things like soda and other food items containing high fructose corn syrup out of my diet. I'm not IN shape but I'm working on it.....but isn't round a shape?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Push my luck. ^_^

harkj

Forum Crew Member
I have free weights that i brought up to the station and several of our sub stations have a bench and few others and there is one that has a bow-flex so i just work out at work one day i do upper body and the next i do lower, and the best thing to me is pushups pullups and situps thats what i do the most

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
At the station our tour is 24's, as WOWOWOOOO. On the first day, we do a work performance type circuit. This tour we did Crossfit style PT with 5 one minute rounds of five different exercises, with a one minute rest between the five minute cycle. We each did 3,4,or 5 rounds, depending on capabilities. the stations were wallball, DB/KB swings, bodyweight BB deadlift, box jumps, and burpees. This is intended to simulate the conditioning demands of an MMA fight. Fight conditioning holds parallels to the demands of fireground operations.

The second day, today, we did max effort deadlifts, push presses, and renegade rows. We then did sandbag circuits for 3 minute rounds. Then we either did breathing ladders, or an alternating circuit of sledgehammer shots on a tire, and running around the station. When one person is running, the other one hits with the sledge. when the runner returns, you switch.

On third day, we'll go to the local HS track. We'll do something with kettlebells or dumbbels, such as renegade man makers or thrusters, then do a lap, for 8 rounds. Next, we'll do bleacher hops, sprint the straightaway, then recovery jog back, for 5 rounds. Afterward, we'll either farmer's carry the bells around the track, or do various walking sandbag holds. we're going to build a slosh pipe soon.

On my off days, I'll do either olympic lifting or powerlifting, and finish it with some crossfit style cardio.

www.firegroundfitness.com is basically how I train, and it should explain some of the above exercises.

I'm up to the round of 18 on the "sissy test"(look it up). It's a real puker!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Jogging and yoga.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I change my workouts about once a month just to keep it interesting. I have done Billy Blanks boot camp, hundred pushups, tried the 300 workout for a while, bodyweight 500, run, bike, swim (I try to do 1 or 2 triathalons every summer), just got a free copy of P90x so I'm going to try it and see how it goes.

I used to lift weights but am now finding that the low weight, high reps circuit type training programs offer more of what I am looking for in a routine.

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
working alot since getting my P card, been just trying to get in the gym an hit the weights, if not weights been running along the river for a few miles. P-90x is a good workout. We have been doing it at the fire station good crew workout.

The important thing is that you get out and do whatever it is that you like to do and keep fitness a priority. I have seen so many overweight emt's, medic's, and firefighters. its a black eye to the career. there is my rant. Cheers!

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
P90X really kicks a$$. I'm about half way thought and can see a difference.
I'm a relatively thin guy @ 5'11" and 155lbs. That said, I spend 4 days a week doing compound lifts (Chest days, Back days, Leg days, Arm days), and 2 days a week doing cardio + core workouts. I try to implement strength in my cardio workouts (run with weight packed) as opposed to just running on a treadmill or track. This has kept me in shape for years, it's basically my own modified workout regime, originally deducted from years of high school football :p

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I do a ton of cardio and basic weight training to stay toned. I'm extremely active and hyper in nature too though, I dont think my heart rate ever drops under 90. :lol:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hippy ;)

then again I tried yoga and I wasn't able to do it.

Darn proud of it.

I love yoga, it's easy to do, can be done most anywhere (I've done it at work more than a few times.) and it's great for your muscles, yet calming and relaxing at the same time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Continuous expressive interaction activities with a close, co-habitating friend. :p

That's a way to put it that I've never heard before :p

As for me... I swim and bike. That's about it. Slacked off during Pschool but I'm at it again now

Delando

Forum Probie
yo. New guy.
Swim or Run + Steam room ~ 2hr
or
martial arts~ 1hr :ph34r:
3-4times a week.

Protein heavy diet and alot of water.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So what do you guys do to stay in shape

I eat as much as possible as often as possible, preferably fried.

I drive when I could walk, I take the elevator when I could use stairs.

I sleep often and watch hours and hours of TV.

I very rarely go outside cause it is hot out there.

I stay in shape.

Round is a shape.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
Crunches and 8lb dumbell

I do a series of 240 crunches a day, 20 with feet on floor normal, 20 with right leg down and 20 with left leg down...and again..and again and again. I use a 8 lb dumbell to do curls, lat lifts and some odd excercises i made up on my own. It may not sound like much, but done every day, I have lost 50 pounds in the last couple months....

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I do a series of 240 crunches a day, 20 with feet on floor normal, 20 with right leg down and 20 with left leg down...and again..and again and again. I use a 8 lb dumbell to do curls, lat lifts and some odd excercises i made up on my own. It may not sound like much, but done every day, I have lost 50 pounds in the last couple months....

Are you doing 240 reps of curls and lat lifts too?

Delando

Forum Probie

Damn. 240 Crunches all in one setting? how much are you resting in between sets? I do sets of 30 w/ 30sec rest in between. 3 set of regulars and 1 set of obliques.