So Cal Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I am new to the forum but you all seem to be very helpful. I have applied to many companies for EMT-1, and am coming toward the end of the interviewing process with both McCormick, and Priority One Medical Transport. Any thoughts on the two companies?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Lets let daedelus tell you about priority one

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Priority One had a presence in Sacramento. They had a presence in Santa Clara County. They had a presence in Alameda County. In other words, they had ambulances that were "Permitted" for those counties. Key word is "had". They no longer transport patients FROM those counties. They still have their Stockton units, but they can't run 911 in Stockton. AMR has 911 for San Joaquin County (with certain exceptions).

To find out info about Priority One... just do a search for user daedalus and key words Priority One. There's some relatively recent stuff about them that daedalus posted.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a place you will grow professionally. If you absolutely need a job, go for it, but do not kid yourself about having any sort of a career.

If you want some more information, look into why they lost every single 911 contract they have ever had by government intervention. Also, you can google them and see the many labor lawsuits pending against them.

If you want to know anything specific like pay, locations, etc, let me know.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Priority One Medical Transport is a corporation founded by ... a former Sheriff Deputy who studied at California Southern Law School and obtained his Certificate in Paralegal Studies.

Oy vey. Does California let anyone run a school in anything they want? :p You've got to read realllllly far down in that school's FAQ to find out that they aren't accredited by either the ABA or the Board of Bar Examiners. But apparently, that's okay in CA.

Sorry, this is kind of off-topic. I just never quite groked the "medic mill" concept, since we don't have them, AFAIK, in NJ due to the nature of ALS in this state. But if the state runs that the same way they run law, it makes a lot more sense now.

OP
OP
A

ACEMT

Forum Ride Along
Wow, thanks for that info. I did search around a bit and find some of those cases although they keep the real details pretty under wraps it seems. I'm going to have to work hard and try to ace my skills testing at McCormick and hope for an offer there.

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I am new to the forum but you all seem to be very helpful. I have applied to many companies for EMT-1, and am coming toward the end of the interviewing process with both McCormick, and Priority One Medical Transport. Any thoughts on the two companies?

Can i ask how long your wait was for McCormick? I have heard they only hire like every 3-4 months. I am finishing but my Basic training and would LOVE to get in with McCormick. I'm gonna apply at McCormick, Care and probably Gerber. I would hate to get on with Care or Gerber then have McCormick call. Dunno what to do? Maybe i should take whati can get as a new Basic. any thoughts?

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Can i ask how long your wait was for McCormick? I have heard they only hire like every 3-4 months. I am finishing but my Basic training and would LOVE to get in with McCormick. I'm gonna apply at McCormick, Care and probably Gerber. I would hate to get on with Care or Gerber then have McCormick call. Dunno what to do? Maybe i should take whati can get as a new Basic. any thoughts?

Apply to all of them, push for McCormick, but take the other two companies if McCormick doesn't work out. Try again for McCormick when the next hiring period comes up; you will look good with some experience under your belt.

Also, might I recommend seeking out additional certs while you wait for a job? You will be more marketable in a Basic-saturated market, they will aid you in being a professional EMT, and they are fun challenges! I'm trying to look for phlebotomy courses at the moment.

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie

Well I will be a EMT-B so I wasnt exactly expecting to the lead on the runs. I was however hoping for something a bit more substantive in the way of advice.

Also, anyone know the scene down in San Diego? Anyone here work for SDMSE?

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lets keep this tread on-track and productive. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

ACEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hey, i applied and went through the hiring process with McCormick. First i took the mapping and written test plus an essay. I was then supposed to go in for skills testing about a month later, and they changed it to an interview where they basically told me the job was full but they would let me know for sure. So as far as i understand McCormick just finished hiring, but absolutely send in an application and they will hang onto it for i think six months, it says somewhere on the application how long they keep it for. I applied a few months before they contacted me so if they need an EMT-B and you have a current application on file you should hear from them. All in all though my experience was that there are a million EMT-B's trying to get jobs, so apply everywhere and take the offer you get. It would not be wise to decline Care or Gerber to try to wait for McCormick, in my mind getting any EMT job is relatively difficult, if you get one that runs 911 take it and run! I ended up running IFT's and the occasional emergency response, i am hoping this basic experience will help out next time around applying to the 911 agencies. A friend of mine went the IFT route first and had good luck with McCormick afterward. Good luck!

atropine

Forum Captain
When will you call it quits, and will you be able to survive>

When do you think is the right age to retire?

atropine

Forum Captain
Think about that while you still have a chance to go to RN school and not even mess around with these ambulance companies

OP
OP
A

ACEMT

Forum Ride Along
atropine
That is definetely a good point! i have thought about RN, was planning on paramedic, was just searching this first EMT-B job out mostly for the experience to get into medic school. My personal plan was to go fire academy, EMT-B experience, medic school, then hopefully find a medic job with an ambulance company while applying to fire. Do you think thats an outdated thought process?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Think about that while you still have a chance to go to RN school and not even mess around with these ambulance companies

Might be a good idea....actually coming from you haha.

My old employer thinks adamantly that dispatchers with CPR certification are allowed to give medical direction to EMTs and Paramedics. Thegreypilgram will get a kick out of this one.

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant

I second that. This isn't a career for most. Also, the chances of bridging over to FD are getting smaller and smaller with each step. I thing EMS uses the FD as a reason to keep people working at such poor wages for x number of years.

OP
OP
A

ACEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the tips guys i will continue looking into a RN degree. I am certain i want to stay within the EMS/ Fire field, its just about figuring out which "leg of the race" i enjoy working on the most. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.