should I become a paramedic?

emttom

Forum Ride Along
One question guys! has anyone worked full time emt while going to school for paramedics, cuz when i look at the hours of paramedic course, it seems almost impossible to work full time. I'm not one of those guys who sleep 5 hours a day to work and goto school. any recommendations or your story of how you scheduled your worktime to goto paramedic school? :unsure:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Everyone here who has their Medic has been in a similar situation, juggling work, school, clinicals, internship and maybe an hour of social life a week. Some even had kids and a significant other.

If we did it, you can.

Do you WANT to be a Paramedic? If yes, then do it. If no, then don't.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Easy answer? You'll learn to be one of those students who gets 3 or four hours of sleep.

I was working 36-48 hours a week as a hospital tech while going to school. (class was MTW from 0730-1730, work was FSS 1830-0630.) Had at least one clinical a week, did homework, and tried to save a failing engagement (which didn't happen). There were times I was up 48 hours at a time and catnapped on lunch breaks and breaks between classes. During Internship things go easier. 3x13 hour shifts a week scheduled when I wasn't at work. I made it through all but the final internship for a number of reasons. But I made it. I know I could do it again, and most likely I will when I go back to medic school

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Easy... find a sugar momma.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahahaha.

If he works at all, Rusty will only be pulling a few shifts a month at an ambulance service when I finally drag his a** to medic school.

We are also very fortunate to have my dispatch wages and excellent benefits, no kiddos to support, and low housing expenses.

Yes, Tom, you will find most people work through paramedic school because they can't afford not to. It's almost a rite of passage. You know, it's as though a zombie walks into a room full of paramedics, says "I'm a medic student," and they all chime in an empathetic "ooooohhhh," because they were a zombie once too.

I say, if you can find a way to cut your hours partially or entirely, you absolutely should. You will learn the material better and perform better on clinicals and such with more sleep. The only advantage I can think of to working through school is if you are working as an EMT and you work with paramedics willing to help you learn and foster your growth.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Get a weekend shift. I graduated nursing school, and in my first year of working, I worked FT weekends (3 12s, gotta love nursing for that) and finished paramedic school and clinicals in a year.

Young and unencumbered, with limitless energy means you can acheive whatever goals you set, as long as you're willing to work hard. Sacrifice in the short term, and then you can have a long career of a 3 or 4 day workweek and sleep in until you have kids.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
It can be done

I am in medic school right now and working as an EMT-IT in Wisconsin. I only have class 20 hours a week right now. When I am not in class, I am working 80% of the time. It is tough and you have to find time to study and sleep. For me it seems the days I really need to catch up on reading or studying, those are the days when we run non-stop, lol. I am now able to run on very little sleep and on my off days I end up sleeping in for most of the morning. In the end it will all be worth it though.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
If ya got to ask

there is a shortage of boiler operators.. local factory is advertising for a high pressure op.. 25 bux/hr + OT...

you could have your pick of state, city, where ever...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Easy... find a sugar momma.
I've been trying to do that for close to 5 years.... still no luck... but I am having fun finding all the wrong girls :p

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Everyone here who has their Medic has been in a similar situation, juggling work, school, clinicals, internship and maybe an hour of social life a week.

Social life?!
What social life?

Just kidding,,,,,just kidding. :ph34r:

princessretard

Forum Probie
you working full time as a basic right now? try talking to your company's scheduler and seeing if you can change your hours, maybe get a 24 hr shift and a 16hr shift to be 40hrs total and be full time still. that way you go to work less days and you get plenty of free days to go to medic school.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
you working full time as a basic right now? try talking to your company's scheduler and seeing if you can change your hours, maybe get a 24 hr shift and a 16hr shift to be 40hrs total and be full time still. that way you go to work less days and you get plenty of free days to go to medic school.

Keep in mind not all services offer anything other than 8-12 hour shifts.

princessretard

Forum Probie
Keep in mind not all services offer anything other than 8-12 hour shifts.

yup, thats true too i guess.
i remember when i first started they gave me all 8hrs. so i worked 5 days a week. everybody felt bad for me, i didnt get it, i thought those hours were fine. until i realized almost everyone had 10, 12,24hr shifts, and the occasional 8hrs. but i had ALL 8hours. couple months later i was able to bid for a 24 and got it!

right now i have one 24 and two 8hrs. have had this schedule for some months too so i recently went to the scheduler and talked to him about picking up a 16overnight i saw was opened and get rid of my two 8hrs. he actually said if i wanted it he could get me the whole 24 for that day rather than just the 16. so..hopefully soon i get it and have two 24s. i felt like i've won the lottery!!

Calvin

Forum Ride Along
I know with ours here, we have medic school going on tuesday and thurs. all day, so my employer will schedule us to work m,w,f doing 24 hr. shifts and is very lenient on giving us days off that we need for clinicals. I guess either it's more organized here or I just lucked into being in that position.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
My medic class has been Mon/Tues/Thurs 630p-1030p and every other Sat 9a-5p.

I typically worked 40hrs a week for a majority of class, [mostly 5a-1p for a while, and now I'm 10p-8a, and 8p-8a on Sundays] did my clinicals, studied, and from time to time had a social life. Being only 19-20 during class, it really sucked not being able to go out with friends on weekends because if I wasn't in class, I was at the hospital or on the truck. Luckily, I graduate in 9 days so I'll be able to enjoy "living life" and turing 21 soon. Medic class will be worth the sacrifice.

If you want to become a paramedic, go for it. Honestly, it may suck while you're doing it but the benefits afterwards definitely make it worth-while in the end.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely not, you should join Brown as a flying doctor with the helicopter emergency medical service.

Ambulance, Delta Alpha 91 resonding, be on scene in about ten :D

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I wouldn't recommend sacrificing your health/sleep, even if it is what everyone else is doing. Try to find a place that will let you work 16s or 24s, or look into community-college based paramedic classes so you can get student loans and work part-time. The info you learn in paramedic is, I assume, going to be important for your career/your patients - do you think you're going to learn it well if you're sleeping 25 hours/week?

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
Thats why i like my school its every thursday from 0900-2100 and it makes scheduling very easy ive still got time to work 40hrs and still take classes finishing my nursing pre-reqs. but i still understand the "zombie" feeling because i need the social life too so i sacrifice some sleep to go hang with my friends

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
If you live in California, don't do it. I heard that you need to be AT LEAST a Fire Fighter Paramedic to get hired and there were 3500 applicants in LAFD and they would only accept 3. You are lucky if you won the raffle ticket to be picked. Plus if they don't like your performance they will fire you on the spot because you are in probationary period.