Service Dogs

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
So this discussion came up at work the other day. If you have a patient with a trained guide dog, no family friends ore anyone available to care for the dog, what do you do with them? Really would like to hear from anyone who's actually had a patient like this.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My first thought is to call the receiving hospital and see if they can accommodate a service dog. If so, I have no problem bringing the dog along (though I may give my Lt a heads up just because).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The service animal (whether it be a dog or miniature pony) is coming with, assuming it fits and is under control.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think I had this question on the registry. I choose take the animal with us. In the back with the patient

cprted

Forum Captain
I've transported a patient with a service dog. Not a big deal really. Just gave the hospital a heads up so triage wouldn't be surprised.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Transported the service dog of a frequent flyer in the front passenger seat more than a few times. Only took once to remember to put a blanket down on the seat first, we're still finding fur.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Considering I've seen multiple hospitals that recruit therapeutic service dogs (i.e. people bring their dogs in to see sick people because PUPPIES!), I find it hard to believe that any hospital would hassle a crew about a service dog.

That said, the inpatient and emergency department worlds are sometimes vastly different.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
In PA we are legally required to transport the animal with the patient unless it's a danger to the crew... which is not likely.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Service dogs and miniature horses are legal to transport under the ADA. "Emotional support" animals are not. They are a recognized class of animal, but they are not afforded the same rights as a service dog and do not have the same behavioral training, if any training at all.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I have had a patient with a "companion" ferret. The patient was calm and less anxious as a result. The ferret stayed on the patient's lap and did not move. Was not an issue with us, nor the hospital.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
The Accessibility for Ontariand with Disabilities Act (AODA) requires that service animals be allowed in all places save those used for food preparation. As a result my service has provisioned every Ambulance with an animal seat belt sized medium and equipped Superintendent and SRU trucks with all the other available sizes. We would transport in our Ambulance or in the event immediate pt care needs made space too tight a sup or other unit will transport the dog.

In a similar vein, if a patient has a wheelchair or other assistive device that we can't secure in our Ambulance we can requisition a wheelchair bus from transit to bring it to the hospital. In that case when the Pt is being transported from home or LTC we'll leave the chair there and have the Pt use hospital chairs where practical.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cite laws etc.:glare:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Dogs used for people with PTSD are service dogs by law

Source? They may be Emotional support animals, not service dogs. A service dog is trained to perform specific tasks for the person, an emotional support animal is not. Just because someone has PTSD it does not mean their dog is a psychiatric service dog.