Service Dogs

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
some people are falsely claiming their dogs are 'service dogs' just to get them into restaurants and hotels. in CA this will get you a $1000 fine. under the ADA, a service dog is one trained to assist its master /mistress with a recognized medical condition (epilepsy, vision impairment , PTSD and the like.) we recently had an unfortunate incident where doghandlers with search and rescue k9s, attending a training certification, falsely claimed to the hotel that their k9s were 'service dogs'-- which they were not. rather an embarrassment for all concerned...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
From 28 CFR Part 35 ADA

Service animal means any dog that is individually
trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit
of an individual with a disability, including a
physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or
other mental disability.

helping persons with psychiatric
and neurological disabilities by preventing or
interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's become a widespread issue with people are just buying "service dog" vests and sticking them on the family pooch. That's a big problem.

However, barring entry to a service dog or asking any kind of questions about the disability of the person with the dog is verboten.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
From 28 CFR Part 35 ADA

Yes, but that doesn't make them service dogs automatically. A dog that helps it's owner deal with PTSD could be a service dog, but that in itself does not afford the dog the protections of the ADA. As Aidey said, service dogs and emotional support dogs are not the same thing.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yes, but that doesn't make them service dogs automatically. A dog that helps it's owner deal with PTSD could be a service dog, but that in itself does not afford the dog the protections of the ADA. As Aidey said, service dogs and emotional support dogs are not the same thing.

Exactly. They must be trained to perform a task. "being there" or "comforting" isn't a task, it has to be a trained behavior, not a instinct. Psychiatric service dogs are trained to do things like fetching medication during a panic attack, or leading the person to a bench during a panic attack. They can also be trained in grounding which is a deliberate behavior aimed at getting the pts attention and bringing them back to normal. It is often something like leaning on the pts leg, whining and licking their hand all at the same time.

If you ask "what task is the dog trained to perform?" (which is legal under the ADA) and they say none, or can't name a specific task, it isn't a service dog.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Exactly. They must be trained to perform a task. "being there" or "comforting" isn't a task, it has to be a trained behavior, not a instinct. Psychiatric service dogs are trained to do things like fetching medication during a panic attack, or leading the person to a bench during a panic attack. They can also be trained in grounding which is a deliberate behavior aimed at getting the pts attention and bringing them back to normal. It is often something like leaning on the pts leg, whining and licking their hand all at the same time.

If you ask "what task is the dog trained to perform?" (which is legal under the ADA) and they say none, or can't name a specific task, it isn't a service dog.

I've taken animals with me many times, both service animals and regular pets. If we're picking up someone from their home, their family dog doesn't just get to come with, but what options do you truly have when someone has an animal and you pick them up away from their home? I'm not about to sit around on the side of the road waiting for a supervisor or animal control to come get the animal. If there is a way to quickly get someone (family or friend) to come get the animal, I can go that route, but otherwise I'm fine just piling us all onboard and making like an ark to the ED.

NomadicMedic

Here's a nice little ADA FAQ on service animals.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Worth noting that a person with a service animal does NOT need to provide any documentation as to the use of the animal or their disability, nor can a business routinely refuse entry to the person with their animal. (Very specific exceptions apply.)

A tenacious dog owner (and their attorney) can make life REALLY expensive for someone who tries to deny them...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Accents mine, from the ADA link above

AND I QUOTE:

"3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Why does it matter anyway whether it's legally a service dog or if the owner is just trying to pass it off as one? If the dog is under control, just take it along.

NomadicMedic

Why does it matter anyway whether it's legally a service dog or if the owner is just trying to pass it off as one? If the dog is under control, just take it along.

Because dogs that look under control and are not trained can become out of control quickly. The back of an ambulance with a sick patient and a terrified 75 pound dog is not where I want to be.

Aidey

Because dogs that look under control and are not trained can become out of control quickly. The back of an ambulance with a sick patient and a terrified 75 pound dog is not where I want to be.

Pretty much this. Plus trained service dogs know how to behave around other people and animals in strange situations. Even if the dog behaves with you, it's going to piss the hospital off really fast if the dog barks every time something rolls past the door.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Like I said, don't take the dog if it doesn't look like it is under control.

Making a blanket policy to not take a service dog is like saying you will never take a family member because they could suddenly freak out and become violent.

Most of the patients I've seen who've had service dogs would refuse transport if you tried to separate them from their dog.

Aidey

No one said they had a blanket policy not to take service dogs. It's pets that are the issue.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Start carrying pet carriers.

I'd just follow policy on this unless the dog presents a true hazard. If the owner insists, you are going to have to allow it or face possible big fines etc.

The only curve I see around this is if an animal is transported without some documentation, then AFTER service is rendered that paperwork must be produced or an "undocumented animal" fee will be charged…or charged, then refunded with paperwork turned in.

Side issues: unlicensed dogs or dogs with outdated immunization tags?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Like I said, don't take the dog if it doesn't look like it is under control.

You may have skimmed over the part where he said an untrained dog may not REMAIN in control for the duration of the ride, which may result in you being in a sardine tin with an enraged 75lb animal.