San Bernardino County Fire Ambulance Operator

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I still have a half filled out app for Rialto EMT AO.... (not even sure if that app is still open tbh....I stopped when I started backgrounds for FF at another dept, now I have two BGs started I don't want to try and switch EMT jobs, especially one that requires yet another check at the same time lol but anyways.....) seems like a lot of focus on this thread is about the Paramedic AO, but how is life for the EMT AOs? (Both SBCo and Rialto if anyone has the info :)

I mean I can look up salary and benefits and all that, but how's life and morale inside their stations, like you're not the perpetual probie are you? Are you the medics chauffer or do you attend BLS patients? Etc?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Not to further distract or take away frk
@Jim37F's questions, and sort of as a side bar, but when will all of these departments stop referring to them as "Ambulance Operataor" EMT's and paramedics?

Am I the only one who finds this title slightly demeaning? Why not something more along the lines of EMS-paramedic/ EMS-EMT?

It just sounds more professional, IMO. I mean, how professional does "Fire Engine Operator Paramedic" sound?

Sorry @Jim37F, didn't mean to steal your thunder, as you were, good sir...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think I still have a half filled out app for Rialto EMT AO.... (not even sure if that app is still open tbh....I stopped when I started backgrounds for FF at another dept, now I have two BGs started I don't want to try and switch EMT jobs, especially one that requires yet another check at the same time lol but anyways.....) seems like a lot of focus on this thread is about the Paramedic AO, but how is life for the EMT AOs? (Both SBCo and Rialto if anyone has the info :)

I mean I can look up salary and benefits and all that, but how's life and morale inside their stations, like you're not the perpetual probie are you? Are you the medics chauffer or do you attend BLS patients? Etc?
San Bernardino is not able to downgrade calls from ALS to BLS (to my knowledge). Since they only run 911 calls (all 911 calls are considered ALS) with no IFTs I doubt EMTs are going to be getting any BLS patients.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
@Jim37F's questions, and sort of as a side bar, but when will all of these departments stop referring to them as "Ambulance Operataor" EMT's and paramedics?

Am I the only one who finds this title slightly demeaning? Why not something more along the lines of EMS-paramedic/ EMS-EMT?

It just sounds more professional, IMO. I mean, how professional does "Fire Engine Operator Paramedic" sound?

Sorry @Jim37F, didn't mean to steal your thunder, as you were, good sir...
Ok helicopter non-operator paramedic....

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2138.JPG
Ok helicopter non-operator paramedic....

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief

It just sounds more professional, IMO. I mean, how professional does "Fire Engine Operator Paramedic"
In general, to be referred to as an Operator is not a bad thing. Many depts refer to the positions as Engineers (Engines) and Operators (Ladder Trucks); the term Ambulance Operator may be used to acknowledge that the individual has the required skills to operate the ambulance on top of their EMT scope.

I do not find it unprofessional, but I also am not offended when I am called an ambulance driver, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
In general, to be referred to as an Operator is not a bad thing. Many depts refer to the positions as Engineers (Engines) and Operators (Ladder Trucks); the term Ambulance Operator may be used to acknowledge that the individual has the required skills to operate the ambulance on top of their EMT scope.

I do not find it unprofessional, but I also am not offended when I am called an ambulance driver, either.

I don't get offended by the term "ambulance driver" when the public uses it either, and in fact, it is an actual job description/ official job title in parts of the country. They don't know what they don't know.

It's fine that there's rank and file in the fire department. I think my point was more so that this does nothing to change the public perception of us (EMT's and paramedics) solely driving, or operating an ambulance. A lot of good folks have worked plenty hard to break away from this stigma.

Lol, and yes I know that's part of it, but it just seems like a misguided step in the wrong direction to the public eye's view of our collective job title. Then again you're talking to a guy who isn't a fan of the "I'm just an EMT" phrase. To each their own, cheers:).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I do know if I do eventually get picked up by LAFD I can eventually get promoted to A/O, Apparatus Operator!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I do know if I do eventually get picked up by LAFD I can eventually get promoted to A/O, Apparatus Operator!
Back home it was FEO. Here it's Engineer but we call them Driver.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
AO is just a job title. It's not meant to be derogatory or demeaning at all.

So not all patients are ALS in San Bernardino. We can downgrade to a dual EMT box, but base contact has to be made. If the ALS box is going to transport as BLS they can and don't make base contact, just a courtesy call to the hospital you're transporting to.

Incomp

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone know which stations SBCo A/O's work out of? Trying to see what a commute would look like.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Does anyone know which stations SBCo A/O's work out of? Trying to see what a commute would look like.

Their website provides the station locations.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Meanwhile in Texas...paramedic-initiated blood transfusions are a thing, y'all.

Reactions: NPO